Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Bump. I have a vibration that starts around 100mph in my GT. I replaced the wheels and tires and had them road force balanced and it still does it. It doesnt vibrate in 1st or 2nd only at the top of 3rd and through out 4th gear at high speeds. Is it my driveshaft?
Try Shimmy Diagnoser. It's an app that will measure the vibration's frequency and amplitude. Based on that, it can tell if the vib is engine, trans, d/s or tire related. It costs around 20 bucks. For me - money well spent.
Sponsored

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
As some of you who follow this thread know, I traded my 17 gt for an 18 because of this issue. While I had the new car on the lift to ceramic the back side of my rims I checked out the differences in the driveshaft and cradle assembly.
The driveshaft looks similar and is probably the revised one some of you have mentioned. The pinion flange is now painted and is slightly different from the one on the 17.
The main difference I found is a palm size cast iron or steel weight hanging on the right rear differential bolt. The bolt is appears to be an inch or so longer to accommodate the dampener weight. It hangs very loosely on it's soft rubber bushing. I also noticed the driveshaft center support is a stiffer material than the 18.
Having seen this, if I still had a 15 / 17 car in the family I'd get the right rear differential bolt and that dampener if it's available. I m going to try to post a pic.
Lester

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
Sorry, can't get pic to load.
Says file to large. I don't know how to manually change it.

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry, can't get pic to load.
Says file to large. I don't know how to manually change it.
Just scale down the size in Microsoft paint

Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
As some of you who follow this thread know, I traded my 17 gt for an 18 because of this issue. While I had the new car on the lift to ceramic the back side of my rims I checked out the differences in the driveshaft and cradle assembly.
The driveshaft looks similar and is probably the revised one some of you have mentioned. The pinion flange is now painted and is slightly different from the one on the 17.
The main difference I found is a palm size cast iron or steel weight hanging on the right rear differential bolt. The bolt is appears to be an inch or so longer to accommodate the dampener weight. It hangs very loosely on it's soft rubber bushing. I also noticed the driveshaft center support is a stiffer material than the 18.
Having seen this, if I still had a 15 / 17 car in the family I'd get the right rear differential bolt and that dampener if it's available. I m going to try to post a pic.
Lester
Humm .. I know the 2015 to 2017 Eco boost have a weight on them... I wonder if it is the same weight as they use ?

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yesterday I put my car up on stands and had my wife drive it till we felt the vibration. It didn't look like it was my driveshaft at all. It looked smooth and so did my halfshafts. So I'm curious if I might just have a bad spark plug causing my vibration. I know when we supercharged my buddies 14 that he had bad plugs a d we couldn't find it in the log we sent to Lund. The car would feel like it was driving under water under load and that's kind of how my car feels. I'm gonna change the plugs and see what happens.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
I've been gone for a while. Been enjoying my 10 year old Mercedes with IRS and no vibration. Still have my Mustang. Are there ANY reports of vibration on the 2018? Of course I really don't want to spend the money on a 4 cyl and the GT is even way more expensive now and I don't think I'll play Russian Roulette with Ford again.

Winchester 1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt convertible
My vibration is about 90% better,. My dealer tried to balance tires 4 times. The last time he sent to independent who load forced balanced than or so they said.
Due to a minor mishap I had to replace 2 rims. The body shop sent all 4 tires with rims to be load forced balanced. lo and behold. Tires would not balance they went oblong when spun up. Results 4 new Michelin pilot sports 1k . Different car. Still a little vibration but at least I can use rear view mirror. Ford MUST know the Stock Perelli tires are terrible and a safety problem . So why did Waldorf ford fail after 4 attempts. I believe the other shop also told dealer couldn’t be balanced and dealer said do what you can ,I don’t care Needless to say I’m done with Ford and ESPECIALLY WALDORF FORD IN Md.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My U joint had excessive slack and was replaced. Around the same time got new rims and tires. Vibration is 100% gone.

Losobaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt w/PP
My vibration is about 90% better,. My dealer tried to balance tires 4 times. The last time he sent to independent who load forced balanced than or so they said.
Due to a minor mishap I had to replace 2 rims. The body shop sent all 4 tires with rims to be load forced balanced. lo and behold. Tires would not balance they went oblong when spun up. Results 4 new Michelin pilot sports 1k . Different car. Still a little vibration but at least I can use rear view mirror. Ford MUST know the Stock Perelli tires are terrible and a safety problem . So why did Waldorf ford fail after 4 attempts. I believe the other shop also told dealer couldn’t be balanced and dealer said do what you can ,I don’t care Needless to say I’m done with Ford and ESPECIALLY WALDORF FORD IN Md.
All MD ford dealership are TERRIBLE, don't get me started on my rant lol

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Hey all new to the forum and new to my 2016 mustang gt which sadly has the dreaded driveline vibration. I flew to a dealership and bought the car, didnt notice the vibe on a TD ,horrible roads in Alberta , Canada. While cruising about 70mph there is no vibe WSE and we jumped on the hwy right away so i didnt clue in but as my trip progressed i became more aware of it. Long story short here i am trying to find the solution but it looks like some hard work is in the forecast. Our local dealer is pretty crappy so i will be going it alone along with Tricore extended warranty. I will be trying some basic steps to start with and keep following this thread to see if anyone tries the balance master with any success. To my butt this feels like a phase or pinion angle issue so this is where i will be starting. Its not objectionable enough to want to sell the car but the vibes will cause other issues if its not dealt with . Other than that i love the car so now my journey begins.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all new to the forum and new to my 2016 mustang gt which sadly has the dreaded driveline vibration. I flew to a dealership and bought the car, didnt notice the vibe on a TD ,horrible roads in Alberta , Canada. While cruising about 70mph there is no vibe WSE and we jumped on the hwy right away so i didnt clue in but as my trip progressed i became more aware of it. Long story short here i am trying to find the solution but it looks like some hard work is in the forecast. Our local dealer is pretty crappy so i will be going it alone along with Tricore extended warranty. I will be trying some basic steps to start with and keep following this thread to see if anyone tries the balance master with any success. To my butt this feels like a phase or pinion angle issue so this is where i will be starting. Its not objectionable enough to want to sell the car but the vibes will cause other issues if its not dealt with . Other than that i love the car so now my journey begins.
FWIW my u joint had a lot of slack. I also had significant driveline vibration. To the point when I looked in my rear mirror it was a blur. Changed the drive shaft and the vibration ceased.

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
FWIW my u joint had a lot of slack. I also had significant driveline vibration. To the point when I looked in my rear mirror it was a blur. Changed the drive shaft and the vibration ceased.
I just got the car home 2 days ago so hopefully this weekend get it on the hoist and have a look and try a few simple things and see what i can see. I may take it to the stealership if i cant resolve it or i find something that warranty will cover. I do have a friend that works there in parts and we deal with them regularly so that may make this a little smoother. Thanks for the update , it gives me hope. Also i suspect there are many who forgo the internet and have gone to the dealer and successfully had their cars repaired so it is possible that the poll is skewed somewhat.
Sponsored