Alvey

IG: @ItsAlvey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Can anyone get me up to speed on the details behind whether or not tuning can or will void your warranty? Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Tuning wont "void" the warranty, however you very well may have a warranty claim denied becuase of it. The tune must have caused the issue for the dealer to deny the claim, however youre playing by their rules. They can easily say something like "increased stain due to additional power from the tune caused the widget to fail".

If you want to tune/mod and retain your warranty go with Ford Performance power packs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hereā€™s a lengthy read for you, directly from Ford. Itā€™s been posted before, but it has beneficial facts as to what Ford can deny by their own discretion for any engine related failure when it comes to not only ā€˜Tunesā€™, but aftermarket bolt ons.

A Dealership has to contact Ford in the event of a catastrophic engine failure, regardless if there are visible mods to the engine or not, more so when itā€™s a warranty claim. The attached guide is that diagnosis walk through that the Tech or Service Dept. has to follow for such diagnosis and what Ford may or may not cover.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Tuning wont "void" the warranty, however you very well may have a warranty claim denied becuase of it. The tune must have caused the issue for the dealer to deny the claim, however youre playing by their rules. They can easily say something like "increased stain due to additional power from the tune caused the widget to fail".

If you want to tune/mod and retain your warranty go with Ford Performance power packs.
This...I had a Livernois tune on my '12 SHO and had no issues, however with my '16 GT I went with the Ford Power Pack 2 AND had Ford install it. Thereby keeping both my standard AND extended warranty completely safe.

OP
OP
Alvey

Alvey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This...I had a Livernois tune on my '12 SHO and had no issues, however with my '16 GT I went with the Ford Power Pack 2 AND had Ford install it. Thereby keeping both my standard AND extended warranty completely safe.
Any idea if Ford makes a power pack for the 18ā€™s yet? And if they do, where might I be able to find it? Done a little bit of looking and no luck so far.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Hey [MENTION=34707]Alvey[/MENTION], good to see another NC car on here!

Just wanted to clarify what vernonator is probably saying since I see a lot of people on here say similar things, and I did not know better myself I would take it at face value to mean that the ford power packs don't effect your warranty in any way.

First for clarity FYI: Ford Performance is not the same as Ford which is the company you purchased your car from.

The Ford Performance "power packs" technically have the same effect on your Ford warranty as any other tune or modification would. If the tune/modification can be blamed without a doubt for whatever breaks than Ford can technically deny the claim. The reason people say it "keeps" the warranty is that Ford Performance includes its own (separate) warranty terms with the power packs.

So theoretically if Ford denies a warranty claim, blaming it on the Ford Performance modification, as long as you were within the FP warranty terms, then the FP warranty would have cover the repair. (in the end this situation boils down to a blame game between the two warranties)

The reason I italicized without a doubt is that, as far as I am aware that is the legal requirement in the US. Just because it is the legal requirement though doesn't mean Ford has to default to that option though. They could still deny a claim in which there is some doubt as to the cause, and make you take them to court, which would be where they would be held legally accountable (or not if they can eliminate that doubt in a courtroom).

I am no lawyer so don't quote me but this is my understanding after doing a lot of research into the ford performance power packs for my car and all the warranty rules surrounding it.

There are exceptions to these rules, where people have gotten things in writing (which is out of my research scope), and every situation isn't going to play out strictly by the book. Just wanted to make sure you are able to make a well informed decision and not basing one off of someones watered-down comments.

Sorry if anything here is confusing, brevity and clarity are not my strong suits. Always happy to answer questions though. :)

OP
OP
Alvey

Alvey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION]
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the information. Lucky for you, Iā€™m not in a position where I exactly want brief answers lol. The more details I can get to better inform my future decisions, the better
Where in NC are you from?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I'm up in raleigh. WBU?

[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION]
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the information. Lucky for you, Iā€™m not in a position where I exactly want brief answers lol. The more details I can get to better inform my future decisions, the better
Where in NC are you from?

OP
OP
Alvey

Alvey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm up in raleigh. WBU?
Not too far at all. Iā€™m in Havelock. Iā€™ll probably see you at cars and coffee in Cary or Wake Forrest sometime if youā€™re ever up that way:cool:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55

Yeah.... You might want to revisit that, and get your money back from your extended warranty...

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
with my '16 GT I went with the Ford Power Pack 2 AND had Ford install it. Thereby keeping both my standard AND extended warranty completely safe.
Are you sure your extended warranty is still good for the engine with the power package? I ask because the Power Pack has its own warranty and Ford can refuse engine repairs on the Ford regular power-train warranty.

So it would seem strange to me that Ford's regular warranty would not cover the engine with PP but their extended warranty would.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Are you sure your extended warranty is still good for the engine with the power package? I ask because the Power Pack has its own warranty and Ford can refuse engine repairs on the Ford regular power-train warranty.

So it would seem strange to me that Ford's regular warranty would not cover the engine with PP but their extended warranty would.
If you read the fine print of the Ford Extended warranty they specifically say they won't warrant any Ford Performance parts, nor any failure covered by them. So, you'll be covered for the 3/36, but anything after that is a risk.

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Hereā€™s a lengthy read for you, directly from Ford. Itā€™s been posted before, but it has beneficial facts as to what Ford can deny by their own discretion for any engine related failure when it comes to not only ā€˜Tunesā€™, but aftermarket bolt ons.

A Dealership has to contact Ford in the event of a catastrophic engine failure, regardless if there are visible mods to the engine or not, more so when itā€™s a warranty claim. The attached guide is that diagnosis walk through that the Tech or Service Dept. has to follow for such diagnosis and what Ford may or may not cover.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf
Nice document. I don't intend to do a lot of mods to my new 17. Really, only thing I want to do right away is put an exhaust on, but of course, advice is over the spectrum over how soon to do it when you get a new car as well as whether it voids the warranty.

From what this and other threads say, I guess the answer is technically it can void the warranty if the borla exhaust is found to be the reason for any issue that should occur. That being said, I find it difficult to believe that putting that cat back product on the car would cause any issues. I don't race the car, nor do I beat on it (especially as it's new, but even when broken in I don't abuse my cars). I just want an exhaust befitting a mustang, and the factory exhaust isn't it.

As for when, logically, might be best to wait til I have few thousand miles on the car in case problems occur, but bad news is I already bought my borla and I highly doubt I'll be able to wait months to put it on.

Last tidbit, I guess I should have gone with the ford performance sport in conjunction with Borla as it seems that would have to be covered, but I felt that one sounded slightly more raspy than the regular s. Oh well.

And I'll stay away from any tunes or other issues as it seems like they are a foothold to deny any warranty claims (which hopefully, my car will run flawlessly anyway)
Sponsored