Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT 5.0 Issues?

What did Ford do to fix your engine issue? (2018 Mustang only)

• Total voters

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Hey All!
I wanted to make a thread for all to come and discuss their issues with the new 5.0. I am hoping to get some numbers and a summary of the issues that are going on.
Some people have gotten new small blocks, new long blocks, Ford Buy back, or nothing at all. List your issues here and Ill update the post accordingly.

Later on I will go through the numerous threads I have seen and try to add some data to this post.

One thing to note - All the people that are hearing a noise are not crazy. See vids below. There is something odd going on here. I have test driven other mustangs that have not produced these sounds.

Bigriver's Issue - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

[ame]
[ame]
[ame]
Sponsored

RogueCarrier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford Mustang GT
New to the forum but i purchased the 2018 GT in Feb had the BBQ Tick and took it in to check it out one week later ford has diagnosed the sound and i was told i need a new engine. Dont ignore the issue something is truly wrong with the engines i talked to the service manager and he told me Ford has redesigned the engine to prevent this in the future currently i am getting the engine replaced also dealing with Ford Buy Back program.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
New to the forum but i purchased the 2018 GT in Feb had the BBQ Tick and took it in to check it out one week later ford has diagnosed the sound and i was told i need a new engine. Dont ignore the issue something is truly wrong with the engines i talked to the service manager and he told me Ford has redesigned the engine to prevent this in the future currently i am getting the engine replaced also dealing with Ford Buy Back program.

Ding!

Another confirmation from a dealer that Ford produced a bad batch of engines. They replace the block because they screwed up with the changes for the spray-on liners. I read the tech report on that but unlike previous blocks these cannot be worked on again, but must be chucked onto the scrap heap. So they replace the block.

Ford should just issue the recall but I get it that they donā€™t want to tarnish the brand. So just tell the dealers not to give the customers a bad time when they bring the cars in. But wait! No official notice that there is a problem and the VINs involved! So the jerk around with many customers will continue.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Did the dealer give you any headache? I've never even bought a car from a dealership before so I'm wondering if I just go in and ask, call ahead, ask to speak to the service manager, or what.

RogueCarrier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford Mustang GT
Call the dealer that you want to take the car in, explain whats wrong over the phone make sure to take pictures or record whats wrong with your car before going in because most of the time they pretend to not hear or see the issue after that they will see what the issue is and will let you know what it is and what are the next steps for my situation they heard the noise right away and said its not normal worst thing to do is ignore the issue until its too late and your warranty is expired

Sponsored

RogueCarrier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford Mustang GT
Call the dealer that you want to take the car in, explain whats wrong over the phone make sure to take pictures or record whats wrong with your car before going in because most of the time they pretend to not hear or see the issue after that they will see what the issue is and will let you know what it is and what are the next steps for my situation they heard the noise right away and said its not normal worst thing to do is ignore the issue until its too late and your warranty is expired

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Guys I think I may have worked out the engine rattle at 2000k!
Sit in neutral with engine running. Hold the gear stick (clutch in or out) to the left, push it against the left side and hold it there.. you should hear a rattling noise.. now rev... it is that noise! The noise is the gearbox and this is why replacing engines isnā€™t working. If yours does not make the noise when you hold it to the left then you have something else. I have the exact rattle at 2000k revs but the gearbox is where it is coming from.

Iā€™m currently part exchanging the mustang as I type

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
i talked to the service manager and he told me Ford has redesigned the engine to prevent this in the future....

Where are the facts to that statement other than heresy from that Service Manager?

There has been no factual documentation, part number revisions OR confirmation that Ford or the parts suppliers to Ford have redesigned anything related to the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0.

Youā€™re going to get another Coyote 5.0 from the same line assembly.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine makes this noise while driving as well. I'm pretty sure it's some minor gear lash or clutch floater plate noise when you are at a point where load is neutral on the engine while driving, or even parked in neutral. It also makes this minor noise when sitting, revving, and the clutch pedal is out. When I press the clutch in, and rev like this in neutral, the rattle goes away

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No noise should be there on a brand new car that price.. we shouldnā€™t be ā€˜makinf Doā€™

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine makes this noise while driving as well. I'm pretty sure it's some minor gear lash or clutch floater plate noise when you are at a point where load is neutral on the engine while driving, or even parked in neutral. It also makes this minor noise when sitting, revving, and the clutch pedal is out. When I press the clutch in, and rev like this in neutral, the rattle goes away
That's the grind my car makes when shifting above 4k rpms, otherwise it just rattles like all these videos (but changes when moving the shifter). I've always had a hunch but everyone is so behind the rattle being piston slap (and some is, judging by the sound, but it sounds a bit more deep and metalic) that saying some rattle is probably just clutch chatter seems suicidal. Anyways, some of the chatter is just due to the twin discs not being in perfect sync with each other. I can't say what's normal or not, but aftermarket twin disc clutches are definitely not known for being quiet. I have always wondered about the set up, though. There's always been a balance between the amount of power a clutch can handle and pedal effort. Trying to get both together seems like it would cause some conflict.

OP
OP
Madtwos

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
My stang was bought back 2-3 months ago. Glad I got rid of the headache. For the noise you can pin point where its coming from with a stethoscope. My noise was in the motor and had scoring on the cylinder walls.

Havent bought a replacement. Dont know what to get.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
My stang was bought back 2-3 months ago. Glad I got rid of the headache. For the noise you can pin point where its coming from with a stethoscope. My noise was in the motor and had scoring on the cylinder walls.

I want to buy a new one badly but Im holding off hoping for a fix...

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

I read your case.. bad news. Mine went today

OP
OP
Madtwos

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I want to buy a new one badly but Im holding off hoping for a fix...
Yea ive decided to look into other options. Def one of the best cars out there but Ford let me down in so many ways on this one. Ive stopped endorsing them lol

I read your case.. bad news. Mine went today
Yup still waiting on my refund for the taxes. They played hard ball on me and forced me to take the buyback offer that was not "in line" the law.
Sponsored