Sponsored

CarandDriver: M2 vs GT350

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Car and Driver has a '17 GT350 and '17 M2 in their long term test fleet. They did a brief comparison of the BMW M2 vs the GT350 in this update on the M2.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...update-review?src=socialflowFB&mag=cdb&dom=fb

Before I bought my GT350, I looked at both a new BMW M2 and a lightly used Porsche 911 (991.1). It was the GT350 for me, but the M2 probably would have been my second choice.

Updated with video comparison from "ONE TRACK MIND":

[ame]
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
My take...

From those specific three.... the M2 would be the sure 3rd on my list. But I'd rule it out anyway since the GT350 or a used 991.1 would be the top two better choices, IMO. Prices aside, maybe even just flip a coin between these top two.

1) GT350 (whether '17-'18 or a pre-owned Track Pack)
2) And a close second really... the 991.1 coupe
3) M2

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I also considered the M2 but they were not easy to find and a 991 but the GT350 kept calling to me.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Their M2 weighs 3500lbs?! Dafuq...
It was my next choice as well. I was going to replace my 16 tech headache with one until I researched it more. There are a lot of great things about it, but BMW cheaped out on quite a lot when compared to the M3/4 and one of them was weight. It is only about 50-100 lbs different from an M3/4 depending on how it is equipped. I didn't think it was different enough price wise from what I could get an M4 for plus the other disappointing things about the car I couldn't get over. So obviously I stayed with Ford and got a 17 GT350.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I looked at BMW, but the car I drove that was a year old had sticky, poorly functioning buttons for sport mode, etc. It's hard to describe, but the car seemed cheaply constructed but with some nice materials at the same time. And the engine noise they made - blah.

Final nail in the coffin for the M2 is BMW put an engine in it that doesn't make enough power (my opinion). I don't like that trick where they reserve the "good" motor for the higher model sporty car.

I did love the BMW manual transmission, but none of the M cars at the local dealership had a manual. I settled for driving an older, lower model sedan to see how the BMW manual shifted.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Plus the M2, on the track, would regularly be behind the GT350 and/or 991... case closed. :D

I'm a Roundel M fan but I mean... didn't the M2 also fall/lap behind the new Civic Type R on the Nurburgring? :ninja:

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I also looked at the M2 when I was shopping, but in the end decided it would feel too much like my Evo so I passed. I remember being disappointed when I sat in one and realized it did not have an oil pressure or temp gauge.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I called a BMW dealer asked what he had on his lot in the $50-65k range, stick shift or M car in stock (hoping for an M2 or lightly used M4). He sent me a bunch of hybrid 3 series cars back. I told him his cars were missing a pedal. It took him a week to respond by that point I had already bought the GT350.

off topic. I drove an ATS-V as well. In auto as it was all they had. flooring it from 55-80 MPH felt about as fast as my G37S, the transmission dropped 1 gear took a while to drop another 1 or 2 speeds and by that time I didnt want to go any faster. Really wanted to like the Caddy.

Overall I think the GT350 is much more fun. I hope CD do more head to head between the M2 and GT350 would love to read about it

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
1) GT350 (whether '17-'18 or a pre-owned Track Pack)
2) And a close second really... the 991.1 coupe
3) M2
My list as well except I looked at a used E90/E92 M3 more than the M2. I think I am done with forced induction. I want a high-revving NA engine.

Sponsored

TheKosherStogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2
Just came from an M2 to 350R. And a Viper TA right before.

M2 is solid just needs a good set of coilovers. Got mine at msrp. Plus coilovers and some proper tires and and it's great. Yes he engine is it's boring spot but the steering is great for modern cars. Lots of fun. Prefer the size. Feels more like a sports car. 350 is taking me a little to get used to. Feel like I'm sitting in an SUV I feel so high up and big but once pushed it shrinks. But had a little buyers remorse at first as when cruising it just feels too big.

My m2 was 3450lbs with the dct. And bested all the local m3/4 lap times with equal mods. It punches above it's weight.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Clearly I'm not alone in that I was thinking M2 and possibly 991. Got spooked by some of the potential costs associated with Porsche ownership. Tried very hard to convince myself that an M2 was the car to have. Glad I did not listen to that inner voice. The styling isn't nearly as good as the Shelby and the BMW interior is alright except for that retarded fad of all the German cars these days to stick the info screen atop the dash like some afterthought. The crooked drivers seat would likely annoy too. Couldn't really resign myself to a turbo anyway, especially being a BMW, something expensive is going to fail. The GT350 is not without it's flaws too and we still do not know about real long term issues but judged on its own merits, it's the winner hands down.