Sponsored

BMW M2 or Mustang GT350

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
was set to get the M2 via ED this year, but once the gt350 specs are out I was the first one put down a cash deposit at my ford dealer.

spent 84k CAD on a car I have never seen or touched, but no regrets, and very happy with the product.

drove m235i without a LSD on track and fall in love with it, still considering the M2 with the DCT to compliment the gt350. my sales told me there are already a waiting list for it.

honestly think a DCT M2 will be an awesome 2nd car with the gt350.

any other cars at M2's size are all FWD based AWD like the RS, CLA, RS3, Golf-R etc, they don't even compare in terms of driving dynamics to the RWD based M2, that is just a fact.

Just wondering...a question for everyone...if it wasn't in either-or question, how many of you would opt to own both a GT350 and an M2?

I think that's a more interesting question.
Sponsored

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Funny you mention God - that was the only way I could describe the Shelby GT350 experience - as if it had been built by God himself. Even MotorTrend stated (when they declared the Shelby 2016 Performance Car of the Year) that the engine sound will be talked about for generations to come. They also added that if you took every great attribute of all the cars tested "The Bentley's poise, the Ferrari's auditory drama, the GT4 limitless capability, the Viper's purpose etc. and put them all in one vehicle you would create the Shelby GT350."

They concluded "The Shelby didn't just win...it won by a longshot."

Pretty good review :lol:
Funny and so true!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
funny how this forum treats the gt350 as if it is invented by god himself. at 50k its a steal no doubt, but it also has tons of flaws.

the visibly is shit, car feels massive and is massive, steering is meh, stereo is non existent. and the fit and finish, well, let's just say its not perfect. M2 is a lot of things GT350 is not, small nimble fast and tons of fun.
I think Mustangs are bigger than I'd like. Massive? Heck no. I also think visibility is good. The styling is also much better than BMWs styling and there are some compromises to visibility with the fastback style. I think those compromises are worth it. I agree stereo and steering aren't the best of the best, but the GT350 is a relatively inexpensive car.

dude, you don't have to convince me, i own one.

simply just trying to point out at 50k base it will not be perfect, and there are other cars offers similar performance, at similar price point, and offers more fun in some areas of the driving experience.

like the M2, similar priced (actually cheaper compares to 57k tech pack), similar performance with DCT(or maybe even faster), and with the short wheel base, it offers very very fun driving experience.

i also recall how Randy Prost said about the m235i, he said its the best BMW in the last 10 years. I can just imagine how good the M2 is.

but of course, most people on this forum thinks M2 is sh*t, which is the kind of peasant mentality typically associated with die-hard cheap American car owners in the past.
I would actually have to drive an M2 in order to decide. I won't make up my mind about something without even experiencing it. Is BMW going to make large quantities of M2 so it will be easy to get one? If so, that would be an advantage. Being that it's a BMW, that is a disadvantage. I realize BMWs are typically good cars, but there's a negative stereotype about BMW owners that would discourage me from buying one unless it was head and shoulders above the competition.

I'd much rather have a car with a V8 than a I6 TT. I don't think I should have to explain why. It should be patently obvious to any car guy. The I6 would have to be much, much better than the V8 in order for me to prefer it.

I'd put both in my garage.
Just wondering...a question for everyone...if it wasn't in either-or question, how many of you would opt to own both a GT350 and an M2?

I think that's a more interesting question.
I'd love to have a refined European car as a winter beater or as a second driver. I would probably go with a slightly used Cayman before a BMW, though.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I haven't driven the GT350 or M235i or M2, but I'm assuming the M2 will probably be more nimble and probably will have better steering feel. I'm not sure which would be faster around the track...

If it were my $50K, I'd go with the GT350. If I had the M2, I'd regret not buying the car with a V8 that revs past 8000 RPM.
M4 could barely beat a GT PP with Prosbt driving both. M2 will definitely not be faster than an M3/4 considering its power/weight. M2 weight isnt even that great compared to the 3/4, less than 100# difference (3450 vs 3530)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bossing

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wow, just as many trolls, turbo haters, unimpressed, and misinformed folks over there. Perhaps some of those guys should come join us low brow domestic owners :thumbsup:

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Most likely good news if you get a M2, I am sure you will be able to find one and get it at MSRP or below. Unlike my search that I am about to give up on for a GT350...

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
M4 could barely beat a GT PP with Prosbt driving both. M2 will definitely not be faster than an M3/4 considering its power/weight. M2 weight isnt even that great compared to the 3/4, less than 100# difference (3450 vs 3530)

Yeah, you're right.

M4>M2
GT350>GT PP

M4 barely beats GT PP... therefore GT350>M2 around a track.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Wow, just as many trolls, turbo haters, unimpressed, and misinformed folks over there. Perhaps some of those guys should come join us low brow domestic owners :thumbsup:
That elitist attitude is such a repellent to me.

Sponsored

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Im not sure about the M2 but I have the M sport 5 series and I love it, but the BMW and the GT350/R are complete different animals, and should be bought as such. The BMW is so quite even the M5 competition exhaust cars.....
4faa4160-e9da-4ace-90fe-35372f05283e.jpg

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
M2 won't touch the GT350 in performance. So raw performance isn't a contest. Cars are not bought on just raw performance, so I can see some picking the M2 for its smaller size and less extreme focus.

I must say I am surprised that the M2 avoids the typical BMW issue of needing thousands in options to be equipped better than a $25K kia. Which means that the $52K M2 is a very good deal compared to the M235 has been.

In the end I made my vote with my wallet, and have no regrets about it seeing the final info on the M2.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Not loving the looks of the M2, nor the engine, nor exhaust note. I'm sure it will perform great and be great to drive, but the GT350 is a much more exciting car IMO and therefore it is what I ordered.

If I had money for a second car, I don't think it would be a BMW. Maybe an M3 sedan, but I'd probably go something different. Currently have a GTI as a commuter, which is a decent car, but I don't love it. What about a Volvo V60 Polestar?

My wife has a Volvo, and I saw one of the blue Polestar wagons at the dealership, and it is pretty bad-ass. I like her Volvo because it has a very serene Scandinavian interior design, excellent seats, and a nice ride. I love wagons. And love the idea of a bat-sh!t crazy Volvo in that bright Polestar blue. That's probably what I'd go with. Or, if I can use the GT350 for taking the kids around, maybe a new Miata. Really no interest in the M2.

-T

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Let's look at the numbers and the facts. The M2 did 7:58 on the Ring, while the Shelby GT350R did 7:32.19 on the Ring. The the non-R GT350 shouldn't be too much slower than the R, no more than a few seconds, which is still A LOT faster than the M2 on the ring. Even faster than the M4 which did 7:52. The Shelby GT350 is aimed to beat the BMW M series... Just so you know, I am a big fan of the BMW M3/M4. However, I bought the Shelby GT350 because of the price and the performance.
Sponsored