CarandDriver: M2 vs GT350

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Mspeedster, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
    0   0   0
    Car and Driver has a '17 GT350 and '17 M2 in their long term test fleet. They did a brief comparison of the BMW M2 vs the GT350 in this update on the M2.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...update-review?src=socialflowFB&mag=cdb&dom=fb

Before I bought my GT350, I looked at both a new BMW M2 and a lightly used Porsche 911 (991.1). It was the GT350 for me, but the M2 probably would have been my second choice.

Updated with video comparison from "ONE TRACK MIND":

[ame]

TwinTurboMustang.net and Myke like this.
  2. nastang87xx

nastang87xx Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    Their M2 weighs 3500lbs?! Dafuq...

3. Bossing

Bossing attacks tracks

Vehicle(s):
    Just can't get enuff!
    0   0   0
    My take...

From those specific three.... the M2 would be the sure 3rd on my list. But I'd rule it out anyway since the GT350 or a used 991.1 would be the top two better choices, IMO. Prices aside, maybe even just flip a coin between these top two.

1) GT350 (whether '17-'18 or a pre-owned Track Pack)
    2) And a close second really... the 991.1 coupe
    3) M2

4. sublime1996525

sublime1996525 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Race Red GT350
    0   0   0
    I also considered the M2 but they were not easy to find and a 991 but the GT350 kept calling to me.

5. Minn19

Minn19 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    18 M3, 16 F150
    0   0   0
    It was my next choice as well. I was going to replace my 16 tech headache with one until I researched it more. There are a lot of great things about it, but BMW cheaped out on quite a lot when compared to the M3/4 and one of them was weight. It is only about 50-100 lbs different from an M3/4 depending on how it is equipped. I didn't think it was different enough price wise from what I could get an M4 for plus the other disappointing things about the car I couldn't get over. So obviously I stayed with Ford and got a 17 GT350.

6. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    0   0   0
    I looked at BMW, but the car I drove that was a year old had sticky, poorly functioning buttons for sport mode, etc. It's hard to describe, but the car seemed cheaply constructed but with some nice materials at the same time. And the engine noise they made - blah.

Final nail in the coffin for the M2 is BMW put an engine in it that doesn't make enough power (my opinion). I don't like that trick where they reserve the "good" motor for the higher model sporty car.

I did love the BMW manual transmission, but none of the M cars at the local dealership had a manual. I settled for driving an older, lower model sedan to see how the BMW manual shifted.

7. Bossing

Bossing attacks tracks

Vehicle(s):
    Just can't get enuff!
    0   0   0
    Plus the M2, on the track, would regularly be behind the GT350 and/or 991... case closed. :D

I'm a Roundel M fan but I mean... didn't the M2 also fall/lap behind the new Civic Type R on the Nurburgring? :ninja:

Stuntman and sublime1996525 like this.
  8. Moogatwo

Moogatwo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 ZL1 M6
    0   0   0
    I also looked at the M2 when I was shopping, but in the end decided it would feel too much like my Evo so I passed. I remember being disappointed when I sat in one and realized it did not have an oil pressure or temp gauge.

9. ldp82

ldp82 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
    0   0   0
    I called a BMW dealer asked what he had on his lot in the $50-65k range, stick shift or M car in stock (hoping for an M2 or lightly used M4). He sent me a bunch of hybrid 3 series cars back. I told him his cars were missing a pedal. It took him a week to respond by that point I had already bought the GT350.

off topic. I drove an ATS-V as well. In auto as it was all they had. flooring it from 55-80 MPH felt about as fast as my G37S, the transmission dropped 1 gear took a while to drop another 1 or 2 speeds and by that time I didnt want to go any faster. Really wanted to like the Caddy.

Overall I think the GT350 is much more fun. I hope CD do more head to head between the M2 and GT350 would love to read about it

10. nordique14

nordique14 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
    0   0   0
    My list as well except I looked at a used E90/E92 M3 more than the M2. I think I am done with forced induction. I want a high-revving NA engine.

11. firestarter2

firestarter2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    RR G350 Track
    0   0   0
    Had a deposit on a M2. GT350 feels more special. And 526 sounds better then 365... And there will be another M2 with more power next gen blah blah

sublime1996525 likes this.
  12. crs2879

crs2879 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Grimace427 likes this.
  13. TheKosherStogie

TheKosherStogie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    M2
    0   0   0
    Just came from an M2 to 350R. And a Viper TA right before.

M2 is solid just needs a good set of coilovers. Got mine at msrp. Plus coilovers and some proper tires and and it's great. Yes he engine is it's boring spot but the steering is great for modern cars. Lots of fun. Prefer the size. Feels more like a sports car. 350 is taking me a little to get used to. Feel like I'm sitting in an SUV I feel so high up and big but once pushed it shrinks. But had a little buyers remorse at first as when cruising it just feels too big.

My m2 was 3450lbs with the dct. And bested all the local m3/4 lap times with equal mods. It punches above it's weight.

14. GTthree50

GTthree50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Clearly I'm not alone in that I was thinking M2 and possibly 991. Got spooked by some of the potential costs associated with Porsche ownership. Tried very hard to convince myself that an M2 was the car to have. Glad I did not listen to that inner voice. The styling isn't nearly as good as the Shelby and the BMW interior is alright except for that retarded fad of all the German cars these days to stick the info screen atop the dash like some afterthought. The crooked drivers seat would likely annoy too. Couldn't really resign myself to a turbo anyway, especially being a BMW, something expensive is going to fail. The GT350 is not without it's flaws too and we still do not know about real long term issues but judged on its own merits, it's the winner hands down.

15. TheKosherStogie

TheKosherStogie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    M2
    0   0   0
    [ame]

350 vs M2

firestarter2 and Mspeedster like this.
  16. Minn19

Minn19 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    18 M3, 16 F150
    0   0   0
    Interesting reading the reviews and no surprise they say the ride is too firm. I felt the same way about my M3 with static suspension and my M4 with adaptive, both on 18s. It didn't bother me until I drove other cars, especially the GT350 with the mag ride. The M3/4 would get tedious even in comfort mode and I can drive the GT350 in sport all day. The GT350 really has the best of both worlds IMO for a sports car.

That is probably the biggest area that BMW is falling behind in. Their current regular cars wallow and have weird dampening tuning, while the M cars are to stiff and also have weird dampening. They really need to spend some R&D money on suspension equipment and tuning if they want to get back to what they claim to be.

FogcitySF and J_Maher_AMG like this.
  17. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I'd rather have a stiff ride than tramlining to be honest. The Focus RS is still one of the more stiff rides I've had in a stock vehicle, harsher than either of these for sure.

Drove an M2, honestly really liked it. Steering was better, felt smaller, ratios were better on the street and it ends up being and feeling just about as fast as the 350. You miss the V8, but an akrapovic M2 sounds pretty fucking glorious as well.

18. J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R (HR057)
    0   0   0
    Seems like they are certainly catering to the masses more than the purists and drivers that is for sure. Makes sense that the M cars would now be too stiff. After all, look at the direction their regular series cars have taken, and how the 3 series is no longer the leader in the sport sedan segment. I guess everyone just assumes that the M division would hold strong, but the fact that their suspensions are so uncompromisingly stiff just tells me they are simply doing that to appeal to the masses who buy BMW's based on their brand image, and to most people stiff means sporty.

The guys that don't know any better assumes the stiffer it is the more sporty and better handling it will have... when in reality those are just bandaids for poor suspension development, similar to how heavy cars that handle well are extremely stiff (i.e ZL1 1LE).

I used to be a big BMW fan even though I never owned one, but they have literally nothing today in terms of a sports car that I would even be remotely interested in. I do really like the X5 though :D

Minn19 likes this.
  19. Minn19

Minn19 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    18 M3, 16 F150
    0   0   0
    Not me, the tramlining isn't that bad IMO and it isn't nearly as constant or present as the bad suspension tuning.

Zitrosounds and J_Maher_AMG like this.
  20. J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R (HR057)
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I'd rather have to put an ounce of effort into steering over poor rutted roads than have a car thats so stiff you are miserable after being in it for a few hours...

Those inline 6's do sound great, and in their segment, it is a toss up between that and the RS3 with the inline 5. CLA45 admittedly doesn't sound anywhere near as good, though it certainly doesn't sound bad for a 4cyl, especially in the cabin.

Minn19 likes this.