Sponsored

M2 driver underestimates GT350 on track

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yep, sounds like a weedwhacker on crack. THere is only so much you can do to improve a high hp turbo 4 exhaust note. They just sound like bumble bees farting into a kazoo.
My son's STI with Invidia exhaust sounds good.
Sponsored

CosmosMpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang AKA God's Chariot
Thoroughly entertaining thread, I figured it had hit the forums when I saw 2000 views overnight. The video was made in jest and the comments were tongue in cheek, obviously a GT350 is a faster track car than a M2 except maybe on the tightest technical tracks. Lots of speculation going on, maybe I can clear some of this up.

The M2 is my daily driver (my GT3 track car wasn't prepped) and it is on the OEM Conti SportContact 3 tires, I am the instructor driving. The passenger is not a student but another instructor that wanted to check out the M2 on track (hence not talking through the track). This was the combined advanced/instructor run group and the pace/spacing is pretty typical for the highest run groups at a HPDE. I do not drive like this with a student in the car and I certainly don't drive student's cars in this manner. Here's a clip of me driving a student's Golf R giving an actual walk through at 75% in the advanced run group. [ame]

The track is Eagles Canyon Raceway which is known for being a 'power' track as it has four straights that are over a 1/4 mile long each plus another 1000 foot long straight for 5 total. Obviously 365 hp won't keep up with 500+ hp here, not rocket science. The passenger's comments were about the GT350 as I thought it was 450ish hp and he thought it was more which obviously it is. http://eaglescanyon.com/track-info/track-facts/

For reference my lap time was 2:06 that day in the M2, without a passenger and on PSS instead of Contis I think It would be about a 2:04 car. Previously at the same track in similar conditions (37F, windy, hence the gloves and seat heaters) I've run 2:02 in a stock 2015 M3 on Super Sports which was 4 seconds faster than a S550 Mustang GT Performance Pack (2:06) and 8 seconds faster than a Boss 302 (2:08) which were driven by a good driver (Terry Fair of Vorshlag). The F80 M3, S550 and Boss 302 laps were all done on the same day as detailed in Terry's write up. http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/?p=854

Last edited:

CosmosMpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang AKA God's Chariot
Since there's some Focus RS discussion in this thread...I've had some seat time in a stock 16 Focus RS as well at a different track. It was a ton of fun to drive on track, very tossable and lots of grip coming out of slow corners. I did not enjoy it on the street and went with the M2 ultimately for a daily driver but the RS is fun at 10/10ths.

[ame]

Sponsored

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Thoroughly entertaining thread, I figured it had hit the forums when I saw 2000 views overnight. The video was made in jest and the comments were tongue in cheek, obviously a GT350 is a faster track car than a M2 except maybe on the tightest technical tracks. Lots of speculation going on, maybe I can clear some of this up.

The M2 is my daily driver (my GT3 track car wasn't prepped) and it is on the OEM Conti SportContact 3 tires, I am the instructor driving. The passenger is not a student but another instructor that wanted to check out the M2 on track (hence not talking through the track). This was the combined advanced/instructor run group and the pace/spacing is pretty typical for the highest run groups at a HPDE. I do not drive like this with a student in the car and I certainly don't drive student's cars in this manner. Here's a clip of me driving a student's Golf R giving an actual walk through at 75% in the advanced run group.

The track is Eagles Canyon Raceway which is known for being a 'power' track as it has four straights that are over a 1/4 mile long each plus another 1000 foot long straight for 5 total. Obviously 365 hp won't keep up with 500+ hp here, not rocket science. The passenger's comments were about the GT350 as I thought it was 450ish hp and he thought it was more which obviously it is. http://eaglescanyon.com/track-info/track-facts/

For reference my lap time was 2:06 that day in the M2, without a passenger and on PSS instead of Contis I think It would be about a 3:04 car. Previously at the same track in similar conditions (37F, windy, hence the gloves and seat heaters) I've run 2:02 in a stock 2015 M3 on Super Sports which was 4 seconds faster than a S550 Mustang GT Performance Pack (2:06) and 8 seconds faster than a Boss 302 (2:08) which were driven by a good driver (Terry Fair of Vorshlag). The F80 M3, S550 and Boss 302 laps were all done on the same day as detailed in Terry's write up. http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/?p=854
Thanks for joining/posting and explaining! Thought you would find us eventually when I put your video on here and the views went crazy lol.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
[MENTION=27814]CosmosMpower[/MENTION]
Excellent to read your previous feedbacks... :thumbsup:

Since there's some Focus RS discussion in this thread...I've had some seat time in a stock 16 Focus RS as well at a different track. It was a ton of fun to drive on track, very tossable and lots of grip coming out of slow corners. I did not enjoy it on the street and went with the M2 ultimately for a daily driver but the RS is fun at 10/10ths.
And I agree with this... I have an RS and the GT350 and have tracked both but mainly the RS though since it's so fun to toss into and out of turns. Cheaper on consumables too. I was eyeing some M2's before but the markups are terrible in south FL. I'd rather pay 10k over msrp for a GT350-R than an M2. In the end, the 350 is faster than either cars lap after lap but the the other two cars are arguably just as much or even more fun especially when you factor in street driving not just the track.

As almost everyone knows it's driver dependent even in the same run skill group... more often than not, I have passed M3's and M4's in my FoRS (via pointbys after catching up to them and reeling them closer & closer turn after turn) and those cars clearly have more power. ;)
Sponsored