Sponsored

Looking at buying S550 - disappointed

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I mean I assume he didn't drive it flat out thru the gears red line to red line like in a drag race. No one can really dispute that the gt is a fast car driven like this.
Sponsored

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Like some have said, I think a lot of the feel has to do with how polished the S550 really is. Sometimes I have felt like there wasn't a ton of low end torque, and I'm ok with that because all I have to do is mash it, and it will come to life.

Then there have been times where I'm in traffic cruising 25 mph in 4th gear, and able to accelerate effortlessly, and this is with my standard 3.31 gears. This tells me the torque is there. More than I initially thought at least.

When I test drove my car I liked it. 7 months, and 3600 miles later, I LOVE it! Once you experience the car in different driving conditions, and learn how it behaves while also becoming better at driving it, it's just a really nice car that to me feels more expensive than it is.

To add to the polish, the throttle mapping plays a huge role at least for stock cars. Go light into the throttle, and it doesn't feel that torquey, but mash it even at low revs, and it runs through the rpms quick.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The engine is doodoo until upper RPM really. From 4000 to 7200 RPM it's a blast.
I agree. This is why i went back to a LS3 2013 C6. Now with mods it can't even compare. Much more grunt down low.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
If the OP feels they need to modify it before it has left the showroom floor then they are buying the wrong car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If the OP feels they need to modify it before it has left the showroom floor then they are buying the wrong car.
Other than exhaust, yes.

Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
What still puzzles me is why Ford gave Europe the pp pack in automatic and it is standard. Why did they slight the US in such a way?

Last edited:

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What still useless me is why Ford gave Europe the pp pack in automatic and it is standard. Why did they slight the US in such a way?
Ford Europe simply doesn't offer base models in Europe. Essentially, the only models offered in Europe is the Eco Boost of GT PP - Premium model.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
What still useless me is why Ford gave Europe the pp pack in automatic and it is standard. Why did they slight the US in such a way?
No one can explain it to this day why the auto was not offered with the PP.

If you go into an auto bashing thread PP owners say that the auto is crap and can't handle any track duties so there is no way an auto car can have the PP. But if that is true why do EU cars have. The 50 year auto cars? There is no reason why Ford could not offer the PP with the auto.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I knew I wanted to boost a Mustang before I bought mine... :shrug: Guess I got the wrong car lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
If that was ever the case, aftermarket product manufacturers would not exist. From Honda to Ferrari, I've never seen a car I didn't want to change or modify in some fashion.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
[MENTION=21624]blaket0w[/MENTION] - I believe you may be taking my comment the wrong way - which could be understandable. My comment was directed at [MENTION=30617]merc123[/MENTION] who stated that the "wow" factor or push back in the seat wasn't there. Then asked if a simple bolt on would make it feel better.

[MENTION=30617]merc123[/MENTION] - this isn't about the aftermarket. It is about your opening statement asking if simple bolt-ons will help and how it felt lack luster to you. Sure, you can swap the tune, you can add forced induction, heck, a propeller. But if the base GT platform didn't do it for you out of the gate I'd have to ask if it is the right car. Especially if you truly test drove a GT/PP which has 3.73 gearing and more or less a rocket from a dead stop.

Maybe something with a larger engine would do the trick such as a challenger w/scat pack or shaker or 'vette Z06. At least to start with your initial requirement of wow or thrust would be met. Just the way I see it anyway.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If the car isn't right off the factory lot...

Well, mine wasn't. But I bought one anyway knowing that the car that is "right" is an $80,000 BMW M3 with a bunch of factory add-ons and a maintenance bill that'll cost another $20K.

So... yeah.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And unfortunately an automatic new GT does not have have the low end pull and certainly does not easily fry the tires compared to the newer generation Turbo cars or modified N/A cars.
Does not easily fry the tires? People who feel this way are delusional or just don't know what they are doing.

If I disable traction control I can ROAST the rear 275 Pirellis all day long by simply mashing the accelerator from a dead stop without power braking to raise the RPMs. That is one main difference which is throwing people off; Older model Mustangs (2000 and prior, I think) did not have traction control so the intervention of the traction control system cutting throttle inputs to maintain traction is throwing people off.

Secondly, power is not the issue here, weight is. I remember reading a Car and Driver article testing an 01 or 02 Z06 which made 405 hp and accelerated to 60 in 3.9 - 4.0 flat. That's 30 hp less than the GT but a good half a second quicker to 60. What gives? You guessed it: Weight. That Z06 weighed what? 3150 lb's?

Weight is the enemy of our cars and I've known that long before I even test drove it. Weight hurts everything. Vehicle dynamics, acceleration, braking, cornering, longevity and durability of parts. You name it.

I have been actively pursuing shedding pounds since my car was delivered (hence my user name ;) ) but it is pretty difficult with this car. If this car was a good 350 - 450 pounds lighter, this thread wouldn't even be in existence.

Simply put, this car would be a BEAST.
Sponsored