Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Performance

Springs don't damp. The shocks (dampers) damp energy.

Locking the cradle down transfers a very small amount more vibration from bumps into the body. The biggest thing it does is prevent the cradle from moving vertically, longitudinally and laterally in response to power as well as road inputs. It's a pretty big improvement in performance, both in a straight line and for spirited driving/track use.
I await the funds for a new tuner, still have unmarried S197 SCT 3 tuner for sale, believe me with 3.55:1 gear and BMR CB005 & 006 airaid "tube"and X-pipe the car did wakeup some, a tune will really help though.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Takes all kinds. I've driven every generation of Mustang out there. And with the exception of the S197. Nothing pulls as hard as the S550. In any RPM range. This crazy talk of how a new edge or an EB "FEELS" faster just tell me peoples but Dynos are broken. Look at the zero to sixty time of every generation! Or compare zero to sixty with an EB. All your feeling is inferior suspension with the older cars. There isn't a lack of torque compared to older models. There is just more polish with the S550.
Agreed.

...And the S550 coyote has more low end torque than the new edge 4.6L.

All of this low end torque garbage is nonsense when you can easily fry the tires from a standstill.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I will confirm stock for stock none of the other year mustangs will not compare to the new ones. Ive driven many. I now own a modified 05 GT which does out acelerate the new gt is short bursts at least. Not sure it would beat it in the 1/4. I would also agree the rawness of the 05 probably adds to some of the feeling of going stronger too.
And unfortunately an automatic new GT does not have have the low end pull and certainly does not easily fry the tires compared to the newer generation Turbo cars or modified N/A cars.

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
Takes all kinds. I've driven every generation of Mustang out there. And with the exception of the S197. Nothing pulls as hard as the S550. In any RPM range. This crazy talk of how a new edge or an EB "FEELS" faster just tell me peoples but Dynos are broken. Look at the zero to sixty time of every generation! Or compare zero to sixty with an EB. All your feeling is inferior suspension with the older cars. There isn't a lack of torque compared to older models. There is just more polish with the S550.
Let me requote what I said in the beginning. You may have missed it based on your previous comments.

"Obviously on pure numbers the S550 will smoke my 2003 all day long in all aspects. The "wow" factor and the push back in the seat just didn't feel like it was there. Is this a normal feeling and what are some of the reasons? Would simple bolt ons like cat-back, CAI or tuner help get that feel or is it just the "comforts" of the car?

You finally answered the question and re-stated what others before you did instead of bashing. "There is just more polish." When you get in my 550 HP dirt track, race car....you KNOW it's a 500+ HP car when you hit the throttle. Hell the GM 604 crate motor they put out with 400HP/400TQ FEELS like 400. When I drive the S550 it did not feel like a 400+ HP car. I also stated that the S197 felt like it pulled harder than the S550 and you confirmed that as well. My F350 pushed you back in the seat when the turbo boost kicks in but it's a dog without it and it's only 230 HP. Will it out run the S550? Hell no, but it sure does FEEL like it will.

I came here to ask a legitimate question about a vehicle I'm looking at buying, from people who actually OWN the car as opposed to a dealer (because they all tell the truth), and was explaining something I FEEL that it didn't perform as well as I thought it should have based on published numbers and I get bashed. Welcome to the internet...

Last edited:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Since going with better tire setup I don't even get wheel hop. The only time I got it was with the stock Pirellis.

Sponsored

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
off the line acceleration is not what makes this car fun to drive. People who expect a GTR off the line (especially stock) are going to be disappointed. To me it is plenty quick off the line, with some small mods even more so

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Merc123. I started a thread a month ago and it did get rough quick as myself and my wife said the same. I can summarize some of the good advice I received. Test drive a couple and try and find one with the 373 rear. That helps with the manual ones. Also try the sport toggle on the premium version to get a little more throttle response. If interested in an automatic use the sport mode also. It helped but the auto never felt strong to me. If possible test drive someone's which is tuned. Since I had no intention of tuning I didn't persue that. I ultimately ended up not impressed enough to trade my sporty feeling ecoboost and used the same money to then get a modded 05 to get that muscle car feel.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I am upgrading from a 2003 Mustang GT (3.73/5-speed) and have driven a used 2014, used 2016 and new 2017 all GT PP (3.73/6-speed) to compare.

Comfort wise I like them but what I'm finding, and wife confirmed, that the acceleration is lack luster. The 2014 with aftermarket mufflers/JLT CAI/Bama tune and it seemed to have a lot more acceleration similar to my 2003. I can feel the power kick in at 3500-4k but off the line or slow rolling just wasn't impressive.

Obviously on pure numbers the S550 will smoke my 2003 all day long in all aspects. The "wow" factor and the push back in the seat just didn't feel like it was there. Is this a normal feeling and what are some of the reasons? Would simple bolt ons like cat-back, CAI or tuner help get that feel or is it just the "comforts" of the car?

Thanks!
On youtube there's video on GT and the way engine feedeing system works. In short - under light load and at lower rpms it tries to dave fuel. At high rpms and high load it opens up more.

Here's link. That might explain some.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for the link to the video. I actually didn't realize they had charge plates in the coyote motors. I also wonder how much the PCM keeps the throttle plate from opening too much also.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The CMCVs also helps boost low end torque compared with the gen 1 coyote because it can effectively change intake runner length. It doesn't flow as well as fixed runners at higher rpm like the Boss or CJ manifolds, but it is a very good overall solution.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Let me requote what I said in the beginning. You may have missed it based on your previous comments.

"Obviously on pure numbers the S550 will smoke my 2003 all day long in all aspects. The "wow" factor and the push back in the seat just didn't feel like it was there. Is this a normal feeling and what are some of the reasons? Would simple bolt ons like cat-back, CAI or tuner help get that feel or is it just the "comforts" of the car?

You finally answered the question and re-stated what others before you did instead of bashing. "There is just more polish." When you get in my 550 HP dirt track, race car....you KNOW it's a 500+ HP car when you hit the throttle. Hell the GM 604 crate motor they put out with 400HP/400TQ FEELS like 400. When I drive the S550 it did not feel like a 400+ HP car. I also stated that the S197 felt like it pulled harder than the S550 and you confirmed that as well. My F350 pushed you back in the seat when the turbo boost kicks in but it's a dog without it and it's only 230 HP. Will it out run the S550? Hell no, but it sure does FEEL like it will.

I came here to ask a legitimate question about a vehicle I'm looking at buying, from people who actually OWN the car as opposed to a dealer (because they all tell the truth), and was explaining something I FEEL that it didn't perform as well as I thought it should have based on published numbers and I get bashed. Welcome to the internet...

Reading comprehension isn't The best aspect on any online forum. Couple that with the higher than normal testosterone levels in car guys and this is what you get. It won't be any different in any other forum either. This one seems to be pretty good about how cool some people are regardless.

I asked a simple question once that regarded specifics concerning the performance package (even though I already have it) and you should've seen some of the responses. :tsk:

On track with the thread: I took my mom for a ride about 2 weeks ago for the first time in the Mustang. First thing out of her mouth was that she didn't think it "felt " as fast as the GTO I used to own. I couldn't argue with her because her thoughts were valid even though the Mustang is a good bit faster.

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
That's neat. Didn't know about the tech of the 5.0's.

Tw: I've only driven 3.73 manuals as I can't find any others around. Not too many s550 GT's in the area and the few that are Ecoboost. I'm not above mods to get where I want to be either and need to try the sport mode.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
One thing I was thoroughly impressed with was how quiet my interior is on my 2017 GT. I couldn't say the same for my 2013 Scion FR-S or 2002 Camaro SS.

It's actually quite comfortable for a DD on good roads even with the PP. The softness of the premier trim seats feel great too.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

What I'm telling you. That you can't seam to understand is. If your misguided "WOW" factor is broke! Nothing is going to fix that for you. Speed is a measurement of distance covered in time. It's measurable. FEELINGS are why some guys like blondes over brunettes. If your 2003 is blowin your skirt up with the "WOW" factor. I recommend you keep it! You'll save a ton of money. I drive a Nitrous injected low 9 second 95 GT that lifts the wheels 8 inch off the ground when it launches. It makes damn near 1000HP. And I still have no delusions about the power of the S550 compared to any other stock model Mustang. THE S550 IS FASTER! That's not my perception. That's reality! You asked a question on the internet. I answered it. If you don't like the answers your getting on a public forum. Don't ask the question. Sorry you "FEEL" like people are bashing you! But no advice in the world can fix how you perceive how something "FEELS"! If you want fast! Buy a modern car. If you feel the need to mod it. By all means do so. Most people mod on this forum! If you want whatever your perception of fast is. Keep what you have. It'll save you about 40 grand. Or buy whatever suits your personal perception of what "FEELS" fast to you. But don't come on a forum and ask others to explain why you feel the way you do??????

Last edited:
OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
Another nonsensical thread. Mid 12 second cars that have lack luster acceleration?? What exactly does your 2003 GT run?

Didn't realize this was an answer to my question. Guess I don't understand how questions and answers work :headbonk:

Do you feel the front of that 9 second car lift off the ground or do you just know it lifted because someone got a photo of it? Guess folks ride roller coasters because it looks cool...or because of the way it feels?
Sponsored

Last edited: