Sponsored

Looking at buying a '17 GT

chirostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche '15 GT3 and '11 Carrera 4S
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a '17 GT, auto, Cali special, nav, and 401A. I have a couple of questions. (As an aside a had an '06 GT convertible with a manual trans that was fun).

Is it more fun to get a 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 differential? If so which one? Are they hard to find on the lot?

Am I missing anything else in my build? If I can find a car without 401A is that a deal breaker?

When I configure this at Ford.com my total was $43375. How much should I expect to pay at the dealership? I was thinking around 4k off but looking at some other threads I'm wondering if I should ask for more. What would be a good price to offer a dealer for this car?

Thanks!
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a '17 GT, auto, Cali special, nav, and 401A. I have a couple of questions. (As an aside a had an '06 GT convertible with a manual trans that was fun).

Is it more fun to get a 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 differential? If so which one? Are they hard to find on the lot?

Am I missing anything else in my build? If I can find a car without 401A is that a deal breaker?

When I configure this at Ford.com my total was $43375. How much should I expect to pay at the dealership? I was thinking around 4k off but looking at some other threads I'm wondering if I should ask for more. What would be a good price to offer a dealer for this car?

Thanks!
auto you can only have 315 or 355 gears...no other choices.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Haha, I also jumped up from a 2006. Seems like we're going opposites with the transmission though. The '06 was an auto which I always regretted, and this time in my '16 I decided to rectify that and go manual.

But yeah, as was said the 3.73's are a manual only option. Isn't that going to change with the '18 though? Getting the performance package option even with the auto? But yeah, currently until then your choices are the stock 3.31's or 3.55's. I personally like the higher gearing. I got my performance package specifically for the 3.73's. The rest of the perks in that are great too, the beefy-ass brakes, the suspension stuff. The brace bar in the engine is kinda annoying though, they have the goddamn oil dipstick directly underneath it so checking my oil is always a nice fun game of try not to smear the sides of the dipstick and screw over my reading every time I pull it out. But I'm not gonna lie, all I saw was the 3.73's and then said "I want it!"

When I was poking around at my dealerships looking at '16s last year they seemed to have a pretty good little selection of just about everything. Plus they can always bring you in something nearby from a sister dealership. I think the only real case you can expect to get some slim pickings is if you have a specific package build in mind AND you want a specific color and won't look at anything else.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Welcome to the forums!

As others have said, the auto can only be had in 3.15 or 3.55 gears. If you want more fun, go with the 3.55 gears as that is the sweet spot for fun and economy. 3.15 gears are good for highway economy but it's not a bad gear as I have that ratio and helps me control the wheel spin.

In terms of pricing, my car originally costs about $40,500 but I got it for $32,200 and it is the 400a package with the automatic and navigation. One option that you might be missing is the premier trim package which gives you soft touch upper door panels and colored stitching with a different style of leather. You also are missing the performance pack but you can install that pack later on but it won't be cheap compared to it being installed at the factory.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
3.73 gears are exclusive to Performance Pack cars with manual transmission.
You can't get Auto with Perf. Pack.
Cali Package also can not be combined with Performance Package.
So your choices are 3.15 or 3.55.

Get the 3.55 gears. It will make the car feel a little more peppy.

The good thing that I've notice is most of the loaded Cali Specials in my area came with 3.55 gears. So hopefully, you'll be able to find a car on the lot like you want.

I got the 400a, the only thing I miss is the memory seats. The thing is I also ordered Recaro seats so I couldn't get memory seats anyway. So for me, the extra money for the ShakerPro wasn't really worth it.

The 400a sound system is nice, but does lack some bass / ooomph.

If you're not getting Recaros, you might want the 401a just for the memory seats/mirrors.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Just Do It !

You won't be sorry. :thumbsup: :cheers:

:ford:

OP
OP

chirostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche '15 GT3 and '11 Carrera 4S
On pricing, you guys think that I can get around $8k off of sticker? That seems like a lot, (but that's great obviously).

If I call a dealership and make an offer, $8k less than sticker is the number I should use? If the first dealer says no, just keep shopping around for $8k off?

Thanks!

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Brandon Ford Tampa #1 Volume Dealer

On pricing, you guys think that I can get around $8k off of sticker? That seems like a lot, (but that's great obviously).

If I call a dealership and make an offer, $8k less than sticker is the number I should use? If the first dealer says no, just keep shopping around for $8k off?

Thanks!

Try them: https://www.brandonford.com

I think you can get one off the lot at what your looking for. ;)

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto

Thanks!
Well in my case, I actually got it down to $34,200 but then I used some of the discounts that they had with the dealership which is the loyalty program along with the college graduate program. Those two brought it down by $2,000 more, I just pretended like I didn't even know they had discounts until they brought out the papers :)

GTDRPTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible Premium
I picked up a '17 GT Premium convertible a couple weeks ago.

Auto, 401A, Navigation, rear parking assist, adaptive CC, 20" wheels, summer tires, and 3.55 rear end.

Dealer started at $6K off the $50680 sticker and I got him down another $500. $2400 more in incentives on top of that for $41780 before tax/lic.

Other dealers were offering no more than $2-3K off sticker in my area (Seattle) so I am pretty sure I would not have done any better. Also, not sure how much incentive they would have to discount a special order one, so I looked for something available that met or beat what I was looking for.

More options than I was wanting but it was the best deal in the area. The 401A group gives you blind spot assistance along with memory seats/mirrors. It along with the rear park assist were my "must haves".

I wouldn't normally pay for factory navigation as the maps tend to be old and expensive to update. Can buy a stand one Garmin with lifetime map updates for about 20% of what they charge for Nav.

Tire/wheels, I would have been happy with standard but those 20s do look nice...

The surprise for me was the adaptive cruise control. I would not have opted for it, but after using it I imagine I will definitely get it in any future vehicles.

I commute 45 miles each way, mostly freeway and it is AWESOME. It manages brake and gas maintaining speed/follow distance as traffic speeds up and slows down. I absolutely love it.

The way I look at it, I got a loaded GT for about $1000 more than I would have paid for a special order EB.

Sponsored

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I've been contemplating a 17 as well. I sold my 14 about 6 months ago and have been trying to figure out what to get since then. I'm on the fence between a new GT PP, a new Challenger Scat Pack, or a slightly used C6 Z06. I may also try to wait to see what the MY18 brings.
The mustang is by far the most affordable. Around me you can easily find them for $8k off of MSRP so around 33k for a PP. Or I can get a non premium PP for around 29k. That's alot of car for the money.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Or just use the navigation on your phone connected to your car at no cost.
Not unless you have unlimited data. I got Nav because I use Project Fi.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
Not unless you have unlimited data. I got Nav because I use Project Fi.
You can preload an area in Google Maps for your local navigation. If you take a lot of trips outside your local area where preloading is not an option, and you have limited data use, then nav could be cheaper.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
At this point I'd wait and see what the 2018 GT has to offer. You may regret not waiting. Mixed opinions on the styling but everything else should be a huge upgrade.
Sponsored