Sponsored

Would YOU spend $80,000.00 on a Shelby with FORD stock crashing?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I bought Ford stock when it was $4 share not that many years ago and made bank. The stock has nothing to do with buying one of the best modern cars ever conceived. Stock is cheap again and you should buy some. Remember they got no bail out. I still own Ford stock and their cars. Both of which I enjoy.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Dividend down 30% but stock down 50%. Buy 2X as many shares and end up with 1.4X the dividend. Maybe that's a win!

Regarding Ford's cars, I agree the Taurus was not the best, but I think the Fusion was great. I drove the Energi version when my GT350 was getting the oil-line recall done, and that car was amazing. Like butter under battery mode, great fuel economy, decently fun to drive. I think they had a winner if they could have improved the trunk space on new generations. I think plug-in hybrids are a great way to get the benefits of electric vehicles for the daily commute but without the recharging concerns.

-T

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Stock market is a bunch of investors' opinions on a company.

Tesla is at $305/share. They ziptie parts (which should not be ziptie'd) as part of their assembly. https://imgur.com/a/ss5fE
Tesla has also never turned a profit. They aren't a good business. They present intriguing ideas, but ultimately their engineering/product isn't up to par.

But alas, "investors" value Tesla more than Ford and more than most other OEMs. It doesn't correlate to jack shit. Don't take stock price as an indicator of a company's ability.
While I'm not really a Tesla fan, let's give credit where credit is due. They revolutionized the EV market and proved something was feasible when many didn't and did it successfully enough that the big players have followed them. That's damn impressive. I'm not saying they were first to do an EV, but they were first to do it in such a way that folks felt was ready for mainstream. Besides, my track-oriented mustang has a bumper held on by plastic tabs that sags so bad it breaks said plastic tabs. Hell, I think a ziptie would improve the situation.

Regarding the revenue statement, Amazon is very similar and no one can really deny their impact...

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Ford is not going anywhere, as a reality check;
Tesla is worth twice as much as Ford, yet Ford made 6 million cars last year at a $7.6 billion profit while Tesla made 100,000 cars at a $2 billion loss. Further, Ford has $12 billion cash held for a "rainy day" while Tesla will likely run out of money by the end of the year.
Don't get me wrong, my son owns a Model S Tesla and I love the car as much as my GT350. How these companies fair in the market will never influence my purchase of a car. Once I set my sights on a car that floats my boat, it is a done deal.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Regarding the revenue statement, Amazon is very similar and no one can really deny their impact...
Yeah, but Amazon is continually pouring money into the next major business, which Tesla isn't doing. They're just struggling to build cars at volume with reasonable build quality. They'll get there eventually.

It's important to not ignore the role that subsidies have played in Tesla's sustainability and growth to date. That gravy train will dry up at some point, and then the Tesla cost structure will have to stand on its own. (Full disclosure, I generally agree with the use of subsidies to facilitate competition in markets with high cost of entry - but strongly disagree with the use of subsidies in mature industries.)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah, but Amazon is continually pouring money into the next major business, which Tesla isn't doing. They're just struggling to build cars at volume with reasonable build quality. They'll get there eventually.

It's important to not ignore the role that subsidies have played in Tesla's sustainability and growth to date. That gravy train will dry up at some point, and then the Tesla cost structure will have to stand on its own. (Full disclosure, I generally agree with the use of subsidies to facilitate competition in markets with high cost of entry - but strongly disagree with the use of subsidies in mature industries.)
True. Amazon is a bit more business focused at the end of the day. They're less risky in that regard.

One thing about Tesla that I think most of us miss - I don't believe Elon Musk started the company to make money and be the next mega-profitable company. He started it to build a better car and drive change in a stagnant market (obviously "better' is subjective based on your priorities). I am genuinely curious to see how they fair in the future. Part of me thinks they'll get bought out - but part of me also thinks they'll figure it out. One thing is for sure, they're not super great at making money.

Still convinced Elon Musk is actually Tony Stark.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
^^^ I think Elon *thinks* he's Tony Stark! ;-)

He's clearly a genius in some respects and an overgrown entitled child in others (like, as a CEO of a public company you really can't tweet valuations that you pulled out of your tail), but he has helped move the automotive market in a way that it needed to be pushed. So credit for that. I'm generally not a huge fan of massive egomaniacs, though ...

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Part of Fords problem is crappy dealers, friends that drive Toyota and KIA love there dealer service, I can't a Ford dealers that can change oil without problems.
BINGO!!!

ADM allowed by Ford! Its 100% customer scam. Im laughing my ass off looking at all the GT350s on autotrader for less than 48k........

I couldnt find a GT350 within a 100 mile circle at MSRP less than a year ago of Washington DC.

Hind sight thanks all you greedy pricks Ill take a GT350 with less than 10k miles for nearly 20k off MSRP now.......

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
While I'm not really a Tesla fan, let's give credit where credit is due. They revolutionized the EV market and proved something was feasible when many didn't and did it successfully enough that the big players have followed them. That's damn impressive. I'm not saying they were first to do an EV, but they were first to do it in such a way that folks felt was ready for mainstream. Besides, my track-oriented mustang has a bumper held on by plastic tabs that sags so bad it breaks said plastic tabs. Hell, I think a ziptie would improve the situation.

I agree, you are 100% correct they brought a flame to the EV market for sure. They somehow made EV sexy to people.

The difference regarding the issue I cited and the sagging bumper (even though I hate that the bumper sags) is that their use of the zipties is due to a late-caught issue that had a bandaid put over it. The upper control arm of the Model 3s were busting, so they added this aluminum mass and epoxied it and ziptied it to the glass filled nylon upper control arm. That... is worrisome. A bumper failing doesn't cause catastophic failure, an upper control arm snapping would cause quite a headache. :)

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Expedition EL, 2002 Camaro Z/28 331 with Twins, 1969 Camaro Z/28, 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner 440 6pack
The market knows a downtrend is coming, Inflation is rising and sales are declining. The Shorts are just trying to speed it up to make a few more dollars. All this really means to me is the deep manufacturer and dealer discounts will be available soon just like 07 and 08. Ford has survived this rise, fall, rise many many times, they'll be OK in the long run.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I really don't understand a concern with respect to share value versus ordering a car from the likes of the Ford Motor Company and would suggest that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

If anyone should have been concerned about share value versus ordering a new car it should have been anyone looking to buy a GM or Chrysler vehicle some ~10 years ago when the U.S Treasury bailed both companies out to the tune of ~$80 Billion. Now that would be a concern at least for me.

With respect to ordering an upcoming 2019 Shelby GT350 or R model the good part is that you should have lots of time on your hands to decide as to what direction that you want to take as the order banks have not even opened up yet therefore the launch for any 2019's is still quite some time off with production possibly not starting up in FR until early 2019.

It is also my understanding that very few if any R model allocations have been assigned depending if you wanted to go that route?

:sunglasses: