Would anyone try lab grown meat?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I've heard some companies will have lab grown meat produced as early as the end of this year. Would you try lab grown meat? Why or why not?

It's touted as healthier because it wouldn't have all the chemicals and hormones of traditional meat. I guess eating red meat is cancerous either way though.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My daughter is a partner in a cattle farm located in Cave Spring, GA. They produce pasture raised, grass fed, and grain finished beef in a stress free environment for sale to restaurants, individuals, and at farmers markets. They use no chemicals or hormones.

I had my doubts at first, but you can definitely tell the difference in the taste and texture. We will never eat grocery store beef again, whether it's grown on a feed lot, or in a test tube.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah sure I'd try it. I'm skeptical but I'd try it. But I have to wonder if our palettes are conditioned to normal meats? Much in the same way many people prefer wild caught fish to farmed fish (myself included), many people might just prefer the taste of normal cows, pigs, and chickens simply because we're conditioned to it.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
My daughter is a partner in a cattle farm located in Cave Spring, GA. They produce pasture raised, grass fed, and grain finished beef in a stress free environment for sale to restaurants, individuals, and at farmers markets. They use no chemicals or hormones.

I had my doubts at first, but you can definitely tell the difference in the taste and texture. We will never eat grocery store beef again, whether it's grown on a feed lot, or in a test tube.
this...times eleventy.

the first time we bought half a cow from a local farm, the wife and I stopped mid-chew and realized it tasted just like the beef from our younger years.

it changed so slowly over the last ~30 years, that it’s tough to tell until you get some grass fed, zero hormone beef.

on the other hand, my mother-in-law thinks it’s “gamey” 🤨

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
lab-grown meat is for the (Mars) space program where taking a cow with you into space voyages is a tad problematic (can you imagine the harness and suit?) but also where the other end might not have you know, grass.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Wait til real meat eventually gets a sin tax like smokes and alcohol.
Oh they're already trying it here in Colorado (the state being one of the largest meat product producers in the world). But they're not even talking tax - they are skipping the sin tax all together and introducing legislation which will be on the next ballot to make it illegal to have any livestock. I wish I was joking, this is 100% happening right now. Our governor, for as much of a fat headed moron he is, is opposed to the legislation because the meat industry here is one of the biggest economic streams for the state. However, considering how liberal the state is, this bill is gaining a lot of traction and I would not be surprised if voters passed it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
(5) "Sexual act with an animal"
does Colorado have a rash of this and thus needing legislation now? Why not just let the farmer tie the perp to a post and whip him till he collapses, and then released on his own recognizance?