Sponsored

Wives & 'Stangs

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My wife hates mine....she gets sick to her stomach in it often, and I drive it like a minivan...she hates that it is low, she keeps her face buried in her iPhone until she is sick and then looks up and tells me she hates the car....she also gets sick in the mountains in any car, even if she is driving....so I drive it alone 99% of the time.....
Maybe tell her to stop bury her face in the phone all the time? She's gonna get sick in any car doing that. Maybe enjoy the views?
Might wanna ask her why she hates the car so much. Does it make her think you are cheating on her while in front of her? She's got some insecurity issues if that's the case.
Sponsored

Vasbinder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Wife got it for her, named it Betty White. Now it's my daily for work.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
My wife told me while we were driving the car home from the dealership after purchasing the car (and after about a week of negotiating) that she would never drive it - ever. News to me.

I said "uh...what if it has to be moved, or something happens, and I'm not around?" (we live in the city). She responded with this:

"I'd let it get towed."

The reason? I'm too particular. If she dented it, scratched it, couldn't operate the clutch and made a bunch of noise, or killed the car without enough throttle she'd never hear the end of it from me. So she'd rather see the car crushed by an act of God then hear a lecture from me.

I can understand that because she's accident prone. She's ripped the side mirrors off of a few cars, torn the front lower bumper cowling off of a couple, backed into trees, fences and concrete poles. Once even had a steel utility pole fall on a car while it was parked. Another time she was backing out of the driveway with a car we used to have, and the neighbor had a wheelbarrow full of gravel in his yard, but with the handles pointed toward the driveway. She didn't see it and managed to use the wheelbarrow handle to make a dent all the way down the passenger side of the car as she backed out.

That's why she drives a beat-up '99 chevy tahoe.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I've driven fairly simple cars forever - mostly older Dodges and Plymouths with V8's or turbo 4's, and was daily driving my 69 Valiant 340/4-speed for the first couple years of our marriage. She was driving an 2001 Acura CL M5 until we got into kid mode, and when the lease was up she started opting for automatics in sedans or SUV's. I switched from the Valiant to an '87 Daytona Shelby Z (airbags and A/C), and that car was OK for us until #2 Son came along. I replaced the Daytona with an '08 Honda Fit Sport M5, so we had our in-town scooter and our roadtrip cruiser Honda Pilot. She won't tolerate an unreliable car, so she trades them in after 4-6 years. I can't leave a car alone, so I tend to keep them for decades. My Fit has parked next to 2006, 2012, and 2017 Pilots, but she has always had fun driving the Fit.

After 11 years of driving the Fit, our boys were finally big enough that they didn't both have to sit in the back at the same time, and I was ready for something new. I was looking for another simple car that handles well with more power - base '18 Ecoboost PP and M6, ordering a really stripped down GT/PP2, or wildcard '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia. Local Alfa dealer was offering great rebates on in-stock models, so the prices out the door weren't too far apart. I was starting to narrow down my choices when she used logic and reason to convince me to include the safety features she had on her '17 Pilot - adaptive cruise, BLIS, and Safe/Smart. Since safety features were the only requirements she has ever had on my purchases, it was hard to argue with her. It did narrow the field significantly, though. PP2 became a $50K car, and the Giuila was right behind. That left the EBPP as a Premium model, and I was going to include the A10 that was newly available as well.

My wife would probably have preferred that I bought the Giulia, but she wouldn't get in the way of me choosing my daily driver. Well, she might have had something to say if I bought the '17 GT350 that I walked away from...

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I suppose I should include husbands in this too, since some women do buy their own Mustangs. After racking my brains over trying to figure out what's the issue with the typewriter tick, I thought a thread with a little levity might help. I think the only reason my wife hasn't demanded to drive my car, is because she can't drive a manual.

So, what does your significant other think about your pony car, and has she given it a name of sorts?

Mine keeps calling it "The Ball Machine", cuz it's got... well, you get the idea.

My wife has her own mustang. She doesnt give much thought to mine. She does like to remind me at the drag strip shes faster than me.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My wife didn't like the 15 GT. It was bought during a time where me and her were not in a good place and separated. We got back together and yeah.

So one of the reasons I traded it was that. It was my decision.

She has warmed up to the 18 GT. She likes driving it now and then.

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
My wife is accident prone always denting, scrapping panels or cracking tail light lenses She's had 2X new rear bumpers ,1x front bumper and a front n/s wing replaced during the 3 year period she's owned a vehicle, not to mention the two street signs that got demolished when they jumped off the side of the road in front of her ?? It was my decision to get MY Mustang and my decision that she does not ever get to drive it !!!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My wife told me while we were driving the car home from the dealership after purchasing the car (and after about a week of negotiating) that she would never drive it - ever. News to me.

I said "uh...what if it has to be moved, or something happens, and I'm not around?" (we live in the city). She responded with this:

"I'd let it get towed."

The reason? I'm too particular. If she dented it, scratched it, couldn't operate the clutch and made a bunch of noise, or killed the car without enough throttle she'd never hear the end of it from me. So she'd rather see the car crushed by an act of God then hear a lecture from me.

I can understand that because she's accident prone. She's ripped the side mirrors off of a few cars, torn the front lower bumper cowling off of a couple, backed into trees, fences and concrete poles. Once even had a steel utility pole fall on a car while it was parked. Another time she was backing out of the driveway with a car we used to have, and the neighbor had a wheelbarrow full of gravel in his yard, but with the handles pointed toward the driveway. She didn't see it and managed to use the wheelbarrow handle to make a dent all the way down the passenger side of the car as she backed out.

That's why she drives a beat-up '99 chevy tahoe.
Sounds like you should be glad she'd have it towed rather than drive it. LoL

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My GF is a car enthusiast like me except she loves Chevy's. So she likes my Mustang but doesn't love it. And she has driven mostly automatics in her life. I am in the process of teaching her to drive a manual. She drove it only once so far in a parking lot to try and learn. She finds it very challenging and a little intimidating. But we will keep at it, practice and more practice!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
In the past the wife and I agreed on vehicle purchases, but then she started to con her way into getting the new vehicle and stick me with her leftovers. I had an 07 F150 FX4 that was lifted with 35's and I got tired of feeding it at the pump, it got about 9 mpg after the lift. So I wanted to trade it in for some thing a little smaller with better mileage. The wife got involved and we ended up with a 2012 focus in yellow blaze metallic, ugly color on an ugly car. And stuck me with her 11 fusion SEL, fast forward to Jan of 13 and I was looking to trade the fusion for a 13 fusion titanium until she got wind of it and we ended up with a 13 escape titanium that she took and stuck me with the ugly ass focus. I lasted till november of 13 before I had enough of that ugly ass shoebox so I traded it for a 13 F150 FX4 supercrew. I drove that until the lease was up in Feb of 17 when I got the mustang. That's when the resentment started, I think she is more mad at the fact that I didn't consult her before I purchased it. I finally had to tell her, that I didn't tell her because she would have said no and to stop bitching about it because I'm the one who pays the car payments, even hers. She only works because she is a bored housewife and the kids are grown and gone so she had nothing to do all day but sit around and eat bon-bons. I used to call her Peg as in Peg Bundy just to piss her off. Oh and my insurance actually went down when I got the mustang. Now fast forward to three weeks ago when I got the new explorer for me and now she is mad again because she always wanted another explorer ever since we traded hers in back in 08
I'd be interested if "charmed" could be used int he place of "conned". Sounds more like OP may be suffering from a bad case of "whipped-itus" and is struggling to learn how to overcome the virus. Admitting it is 70% of the cure. LOL! We've all been there. I'm no exception. I just finally got blind lucky, found and married one that never learned or believed in playing that game........at least not for over 23 years now...and she's very low maintenance. If I could only fix her lack of interest in racing. Just proves no one is perfect.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just finally got blind lucky, found and married one that never learned or believed in playing that game........at least not for over 23 years now...and she's very low maintenance. If I could only fix her lack of interest in racing. Just proves no one is perfect.
I could have posted the same but change 23 to 44. Definitely luck involved. I was not smart enough back then to run from ones who weren't like that.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine as a DD for myself. But my wife loves to drive it and has no problem with the manual. She was a little hooligan in high school with her Ford LTD II from what she tells me.

Last edited:

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Maybe tell her to stop bury her face in the phone all the time? She's gonna get sick in any car doing that. Maybe enjoy the views?
Might wanna ask her why she hates the car so much. Does it make her think you are cheating on her while in front of her? She's got some insecurity issues if that's the case.
She is just hooked on electronics and has a weak stomach...she cant do boats or small planes either.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'd be interested if "charmed" could be used int he place of "conned". Sounds more like OP may be suffering from a bad case of "whipped-itus" and is struggling to learn how to overcome the virus. Admitting it is 70% of the cure. LOL! We've all been there. I'm no exception. I just finally got blind lucky, found and married one that never learned or believed in playing that game........at least not for over 23 years now...and she's very low maintenance. If I could only fix her lack of interest in racing. Just proves no one is perfect.
Your probably right, but in her defense and mine, at the time the she charmed her way into the new vehicle the kids were still at home so there wasn't much disposable income available to have multiple vehicles. Then on Feb 11, 2017 the last one moved out, two days later I bought the mustang.
Sponsored