Wintertime Salt and grime removal

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Good evening all. This post isn't related to my Mustang since it's asleep for the cold months but rather my daily driver. We had a rather nasty snow storm (for us here in East TN anyway, nasty is a relative term) and we have had negative temps multiple times this week. I went out just about every day though in my Mazda, tested the AWD thoroughly LOL. Anyway, I am now facing a really nasty salty mess to clean up which I rarely see. Wanted to get the general consensus on what products are best to use for this. We are supposed to warm up significantly this week and be close to 60 by the weekend and cleared up a lot. Planning on going to the local spray and pray wash to give a bath and taking my IK foamers, tools and supplies with me. Here is my thoughts, welcome to suggestions.

I have already loaded my IK Foam 12 with KCx Green Star 10:1 and a splash of GSF to make a little foam for the initial soak to loosen up the salt.
I have also seen several Youtube videos from across the pond where they use KCx TEA to spray to loosen, then apply APC over the top of it. I have some TEA and willing to give it a try.
After a good soak and high pressure rinse both on the panels and undercarriage, I am planning on doing a good bucket wash with either CARPRO Reset or Descale. Then use my second IK foamer to spray on either CARPRO Hydro Foam or KCx Protectorwax and then rinse off. Just trying to get all the salt off and last til spring when I can do a thorough decon wash and redo my Gyeon CanCoat.

What my Mazda looked like before I went out Tuesday as I was cleaning off the windows before driving :) very unusual again for East TN
IMG_0273.jpeg
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I power wash as much off as I can first, then do a pre-wash soak with Lift or Descale, let it dwell for as long as I can then rinse. Regular soap out of the cannon this time and this time wash by hand also. Basically, I try to get as much of the salt off as I can before a contact wash so I don’t get any micro scratches. Seems to work pretty well, I don’t have any noticeable scratches on my paint. If the weather doesn’t warm up enough for me to wash at home, I have a touchless car wash less than a mile from my house. I goes there, get most of the salt off then come home and do a rinse less wash with my pump sprayer and sponge.

I’m almost embarrassed to post these pics but this is about 2 weeks of salt. Unfortunately we haven’t been above 20F since last Friday (01.12.2024). Finally going to be above freezing starting tomorrow and we have rain in the forecast most of the week. So that will wash off some of the salt on the roads and I’ll be getting to the touchless wash this week as well

IMG_2588.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I power wash as much off as I can first, then do a pre-wash soak with Lift or Descale, let it dwell for as long as I can then rinse. Regular soap out of the cannon this time and this time wash by hand also. Basically, I try to get as much of the salt off as I can before a contact wash so I don’t get any micro scratches. Seems to work pretty well, I don’t have any noticeable scratches on my paint. If the weather doesn’t warm up enough for me to wash at home, I have a touchless car wash less than a mile from my house. I goes there, get most of the salt off then come home and do a rinse less wash with my pump sprayer and sponge.

I’m almost embarrassed to post these pics but this is about 2 weeks of salt. Unfortunately we haven’t been above 20F since last Friday (01.12.2024). Finally going to be above freezing starting tomorrow and we have rain in the forecast most of the week. So that will wash off some of the salt on the roads and I’ll be getting to the touchless wash this week as well

IMG_2588.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg
Man that makes my heart hurt to see a beautiful Grabber blue stang look like that :( I am so thankful mine can stay inside for bad weather

Yean that is my plan too, rain forecast Wednesday thru Friday, temps above freezing all week starting tomorrow afternoon . Gonna take my smaller IK foamer with APC mix with me to work and stop at a spray wash if I can mid week to get some of the worst off then tackle full bore Saturday. After my full scale assault getting the salt off with APC and pressure wash, I think I am going to spray DIY detail Rinseless on the paint and drive home to keep more grime from sticking, then do a full rinseless at home and dry off rather than doing a full soap contact wash. My biggest problem is my garage is 1 bay and the Stang is asleep there. Planning on doing a carport eventually off the right side of my garage for my daily.

And yes, this was last Wednesday morning, a shock to the system for us here :(
IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Man that makes my heart hurt to see a beautiful Grabber blue stang look like that :( I am so thankful mine can stay inside for bad weather

Yean that is my plan too, rain forecast Wednesday thru Friday, temps above freezing all week starting tomorrow afternoon . Gonna take my smaller IK foamer with APC mix with me to work and stop at a spray wash if I can mid week to get some of the worst off then tackle full bore Saturday. After my full scale assault getting the salt off with APC and pressure wash, I think I am going to spray DIY detail Rinseless on the paint and drive home to keep more grime from sticking, then do a full rinseless at home and dry off rather than doing a full soap contact wash. My biggest problem is my garage is 1 bay and the Stang is asleep there. Planning on doing a carport eventually off the right side of my garage for my daily.

And yes, this was last Wednesday morning, a shock to the system for us here :(
IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg
Oh believe me I’m losing my mind that I haven’t been able to get that salt sprayed off LOL. We had a 3.5 day stretch starting last Saturday night where we never got above 0F and it was in the single digits the rest of the week. Finally got into the teens yesterday and today, felt like a heat wave LOL. But, at least for me, I’d much rather drive my car every day instead of walk past it just teasing me for 4-5 months every year. It’s a trade off for sure but one I’m happy to make right now. The cold starts when it’s really cold are so loud and glorious , it makes me forget about the salt for a few seconds 😎

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Oh believe me I’m losing my mind that I haven’t been able to get that salt sprayed off LOL. We had a 3.5 day stretch starting last Saturday night where we never got above 0F and it was in the single digits the rest of the week. Finally got into the teens yesterday and today, felt like a heat wave LOL. But, at least for me, I’d much rather drive my car every day instead of walk past it just teasing me for 4-5 months every year. It’s a trade off for sure but one I’m happy to make right now. The cold starts when it’s really cold are so loud and glorious , it makes me forget about the salt for a few seconds 😎
Yeah I had mine out new years day so only planning on about 2 months tops. And when I get all seasons I will drive more as long as it's just cold and dry. Why have heated seats and steering wheel 😎. And my daily does a good job, I need the cargo space for sure. And it's not quite 2 years old and just turned 70k miles last week so I don't wanna put that kind of miles on my Mustang. Would break the bank running premium at 20mpg.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
This is one of my inspirations for cleaning. Granted we can't get all these chemicals here in the states but I can substitute some of them.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah I had mine out new years day so only planning on about 2 months tops. And when I get all seasons I will drive more as long as it's just cold and dry. Why have heated seats and steering wheel 😎. And my daily does a good job, I need the cargo space for sure. And it's not quite 2 years old and just turned 70k miles last week so I don't wanna put that kind of miles on my Mustang. Would break the bank running premium at 20mpg.
I get that. That’s a lot of miles in 2 years, I used to do something similar in a prior job. Always had a high MPG car for that commute so I get where you’re coming from.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..tested the AWD thoroughly LOL.
<smiling> Sounds like you had some doughnut fun, Alex.

I power wash as much off as I can first, then do a pre-wash soak with Lift or Descale
Mark: I think your checklist and Alex's will both do a good job of prepping the paint for a serious detail after.

Grew up in northern Ohio so I feel the salt and snow pain for you both. Back when I was a kid, the house we lived in had a big drain in the garage plus a spigot with hot and cold. Add a gas heater to the mix and my dad and I had a decent environment for car washing. Definitely miss him and, the drain. <g> No such thing in south Texas, unfortunately.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
<smiling> Sounds like you had some doughnut fun, Alex.
Not so much donuts. I did stop on the hill at the end of my neighborhood and punch it taking off to get up to the stop sign on a solid snow and ice pack. Defintely got going pretty good albeit I crab walked up the hill :) I did this several times just for scientific sake to make sure everything was working properly LOL..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IMO, there’s no point in trying to get that off until your roads are semi-clean
 because as soon as you do get it off, your first drive with traffic will end up looking like it is now, full of salt and road debris.

We usually take the cars to the local car wash self serve bay at night. We go at night since there is less people that will be there (if any at all) and less traffic slinging up salt in front of and around us. It’s best to go with two people because if temps are still in the freezing range, by the time you get to do the bubbly, it will have froze on ya
. So one person does the wand, the other does the wash/bubbly. Bring a bucket and your sponge/microfiber/soap. Use the self serve car wash water wands to throughly soak the car, do the bubbly, then again use the wand to thoroughly rinse.

DO NOT EVER USE THE WAND BRUSH ON THE BODY OF YOUR VEHICLE!!! Those things are used by muddere/contractors/4x4 folks who use the brush to remove all sorts of road debris/mud/muck. You’ll scratch the shit out of your ride if you use that wand brush
. That is why we bring our buckets/sponge/microfibers.

Just rinse everywhere including shooting the underside of the vehicle - go home.

If temps are in the 30’s and below, you’re not going to be able to hand dry it, because the then thin level of moisture will instantly turn to ice. Maybe if you have a hand held battery powered blower, you can blow most of the water away before it freezes.

Wait until temps break where you can do a better wash/dry.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
 because as soon as you do get it off, your first drive with traffic will end up looking like it is now, full of salt and road debris.

We usually take the cars to the local car wash self serve bay at night. We go at night since there is less people that will be there (if any at all) and less traffic slinging up salt in front of and around us. It’s best to go with two people because if temps are still in the freezing range, by the time you get to do the bubbly, it will have froze on ya
. So one person does the wand, the other does the wash/bubbly. Bring a bucket and your sponge/microfiber/soap. Use the self serve car wash water wands to throughly soak the car, do the bubbly, then again use the wand to thoroughly rinse.

DO NOT EVER USE THE WAND BRUSH ON THE BODY OF YOUR VEHICLE!!! Those things are used by muddere/contractors/4x4 folks who use the brush to remove all sorts of road debris/mud/muck. You’ll scratch the shit out of your ride if you use that wand brush

Just rinse everywhere including shooting the underside of the vehicle - go home.

If temps are in the 30’s and below, you’re not going to be able to hand dry it, because the then thin level of moisture will instantly turn to ice. Maybe if you have a hand held battery powered blower, you can blow most of the water away before it freezes.

Oh yeah I won’t touch those brushes not even for the tires. My local wash also has a blow dryer in each bay so I will use that (also has a spotless rinse option which I also use). I agree it’s fighting a losing battle but I can’t stand the sight of it, so I go spray it off whenever I can.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

Absolutely no on the brush. We are getting rain here wed thru Friday so Saturday it should be clean enough to do a decent clean. Planning on doing the soap down then rinse thoroughly, paint and fender wells. Then going to soak the car with Rinseless wash and drive home. The Rinseless will act as a semi barrier to keep from sticking so bad. Then spray with Rinseless when I get home and do the sponge bath and a wipe down with drying aid. It's supposed to get above 50 every day this week starting tomorrow and not drop below freezing after tonight. Definitely will get a full undercarriage pressure wash in the spring when I can do properly. Probably break out the gas powered pressure washer for that 😁

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome. I wish we had that here. I get maybe 3 minutes out of a dollar and cold water only. I did do the apc pre soak this afternoon and did a quick high pressure rinse when it got up to 40 degrees.. Got a lot off for now.
Sponsored