Sponsored

Wintertime Salt and grime removal

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Holy CRAP, Alex, that is some SERIOUSLY soft water! I know WD (@WD Pro,) has superbly soft water in the UK but even his is just sub 100, not ZERO.
Sub 20 (19.96) straight from the tap … :sunglasses:

WD :like:
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You're not attempting to take over the Master Detailer position, are ya?
Haha, definitely not. Just something I find relaxing, my therapy so to speak 😉.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Good evening all. This post isn't related to my Mustang since it's asleep for the cold months but rather my daily driver. We had a rather nasty snow storm (for us here in East TN anyway, nasty is a relative term) and we have had negative temps multiple times this week. I went out just about every day though in my Mazda, tested the AWD thoroughly LOL. Anyway, I am now facing a really nasty salty mess to clean up which I rarely see. Wanted to get the general consensus on what products are best to use for this. We are supposed to warm up significantly this week and be close to 60 by the weekend and cleared up a lot. Planning on going to the local spray and pray wash to give a bath and taking my IK foamers, tools and supplies with me. Here is my thoughts, welcome to suggestions.

I have already loaded my IK Foam 12 with KCx Green Star 10:1 and a splash of GSF to make a little foam for the initial soak to loosen up the salt.
I have also seen several Youtube videos from across the pond where they use KCx TEA to spray to loosen, then apply APC over the top of it. I have some TEA and willing to give it a try.
After a good soak and high pressure rinse both on the panels and undercarriage, I am planning on doing a good bucket wash with either CARPRO Reset or Descale. Then use my second IK foamer to spray on either CARPRO Hydro Foam or KCx Protectorwax and then rinse off. Just trying to get all the salt off and last til spring when I can do a thorough decon wash and redo my Gyeon CanCoat.

What my Mazda looked like before I went out Tuesday as I was cleaning off the windows before driving :) very unusual again for East TN
IMG_0273.jpeg
Cripes, ya'll have winter wonderland and here in Indiana it's in the 40's or 50's crappy wet and gray day after day. How'd we switch climates?

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Cripes, ya'll have winter wonderland and here in Indiana it's in the 40's or 50's crappy wet and gray day after day. How'd we switch climates?
I know. I saw a post on Fakebook the other day saying y'all in NY come get your weather. It's down here and drunk LOL....

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
<smiling> For just a quickie, Mark, you sure used a variety of chemicals! You're not attempting to take over the Master Detailer position, are ya? <BSEG>

Holy CRAP, Alex, that is some SERIOUSLY soft water! I know WD (@WD Pro,) has superbly soft water in the UK but even his is just sub 100, not ZERO.

Is this from your house softener, or a portable unit like the CR Spotless rigs?
It's portable. Brings it from about 150 to 1. I can live with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Haha, definitely not. Just something I find relaxing, my therapy so to speak 😉.
Definitely my therapy too. I just wish I would stop buying various stuff. I've got enough supplies to last me til 2030 lol.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Definitely my therapy too. I just wish I would stop buying various stuff. I've got enough supplies to last me til 2030 lol.
So, my second curveball just got delivered as did a couple bottles of Gyeon Tire Cleaner. And, to show how dangerous Amazon can be, I totally forgot I ordered a new Rag Company towel to try 🤣

IMG_2636.jpeg

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
So, my second curveball just got delivered as did a couple bottles of Gyeon Tire Cleaner. And, to show how dangerous Amazon can be, I totally forgot I ordered a new Rag Company towel to try 🤣

IMG_2636.jpeg
That's one I haven't tried yet. I have the Guantlet and double twistress as well as the original waffle weave, whatever that one is. And I got a kit from Gyeon with the tire and wheel cleaner both. I haven't tried those either. Dammit Black Friday sales :)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That's one I haven't tried yet. I have the Guantlet and double twistress as well as the original waffle weave, whatever that one is. And I got a kit from Gyeon with the tire and wheel cleaner both. I haven't tried those either. Dammit Black Friday sales :)
Those damn Black Friday sales. Or Saturday nights after a couple adult beverages 🤣. I went back and looked and I ordered the towel at 11pm Saturday night, so yeah, probably had a bourbon or 3 in me LOL.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

IMG_2636.jpeg
I bought a 1500 as well. I really don't like it. That thing is HUGE and extremly heavy when wet. And I have to take to the laundrymat to wash, it makes my washing machine dance all across the floor LOL...

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I bought a 1500 as well. I really don't like it. That thing is HUGE and extremly heavy when wet. And I have to take to the laundrymat to wash, it makes my washing machine dance all across the floor LOL...
I like the Gauntlet, it’s a good size. Doesn’t get too water logged and heavy. Hoping this new one does just as well. Will report back when I get a chance to use it.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I like the Gauntlet, it’s a good size. Doesn’t get too water logged and heavy. Hoping this new one does just as well. Will report back when I get a chance to use it.
I agree about the Gauntlet. I have 4 of the real small ones and 2 each of the next 2 sizes up. I don't have any of the huge ones. I prefer them overall, I have drying towels from Gyeon and MF madness as well, the Gauntlet works the best for me so far.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Sub 20 (19.96) straight from the tap
I knew your TDS was low, WD, but forgot HOW low! Damn I'm envious!

It's portable. Brings it from about 150 to 1. I can live with that.
That's crazy low, Alex. I'm thinking you must have good municipal water supply, do you know the TDS of the city water?

I've got enough supplies to last me til 2030 lol.
Oh boy, did that ever make me laugh, Alex because...I'm in the same boat. Heck I can't remember what purpose some of them are FOR! <laughing> Way too many "names" almost none of which make a great deal of sense.

And, to show how dangerous Amazon can be, I totally forgot I ordered a new Rag Company towel to try
Stuff shows up here, Mark, and frequently I have forgotten that it was ordered! <REALLY laughing now>

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
See post above :). Last time I measured it was 132 on bypass
Duh..obviously I didn't notice the number in your photo, Alex! (typical) But, as I thought, to get to zero or near it, you'd HAVE to have low TDS from the city because a "one pass" softening system can only reduce the TDS by a few hundred ppm or so.

Like WD, you are very lucky to have such great water to start with and I'm envious of yours as well. :=)
Sponsored