Wintertime Salt and grime removal

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ours is warm water also. If the air temperature is below 32F they close the bays (overhead doors but not heated) and shut the water off so it doesn’t freeze. We’re currently at 33F and I noticed on my way home earlier that they are open now. I’ll be paying a visit this week, usually costs me around $7.
Sponsored

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Was fortunate enough to keep the blanket on through the storm and drive up a relatively clean path to work Sunday. Took advantage of heated basement/loading dock area to get clean as possible. Actually looking forward to driving in rain later in the week after the roads are washed clean again. Figure that'll be a good start on cleaning out anything I missed in the wheel wells and undercarriage.
20240119_102830.jpg

20240121_115211.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Was fortunate enough to keep the blanket on through the storm and drive up a relatively clean path to work Sunday. Took advantage of heated basement/loading dock area to get clean as possible. Actually looking forward to driving in rain later in the week after the roads are washed clean again. Figure that'll be a good start on cleaning out anything I missed in the wheel wells and undercarriage.
20240119_102830.jpg

20240121_115211.jpg
What’s the badge you have under the GT350 on the fender?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Had to get out in my pickup a few times this last week or so. Have salt residue. My plan is to drive around in the forecast rain Wednesday of Thursday. Likely will wait and not get out during the first batch of rain so as to allow the salts to be washed off the roads. I hope the rain will be heavy enough to splash all under the truck.

Later on when the weather starts to turn in late winter or spring, I will be sure to spray away any accumulated mud and such. Check the drain holes in the bottom of doors and frame. look for places where such mud and grit might pile up and remove it.

Good luck all.
On a side note the last week + appears to have broken some sort of 110 tear old record around Knoxville TN. At least according to the news. It is some bad about 60 miles north, but not compared to past winters.
Too early to call yet but so far in my experience the winter of 1977 is the worst I have known around here. Had the blizzard of 1993 as second place in terms of what stands out in my memory. This winter is far from over so all bets are off just yet. If this recent artic spell is not repeated, then a week of bad weather will not be remembered long.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Hello; Had to get out in my pickup a few times this last week or so. Have salt residue. My plan is to drive around in the forecast rain Wednesday of Thursday. Likely will wait and not get out during the first batch of rain so as to allow the salts to be washed off the roads. I hope the rain will be heavy enough to splash all under the truck.

Later on when the weather starts to turn in late winter or spring, I will be sure to spray away any accumulated mud and such. Check the drain holes in the bottom of doors and frame. look for places where such mud and grit might pile up and remove it.

Good luck all.
On a side note the last week + appears to have broken some sort of 110 tear old record around Knoxville TN. At least according to the news. It is some bad about 60 miles north, but not compared to past winters.
Too early to call yet but so far in my experience the winter of 1977 is the worst I have known around here. Had the blizzard of 1993 as second place in terms of what stands out in my memory. This winter is far from over so all bets are off just yet. If this recent artic spell is not repeated, then a week of bad weather will not be remembered long.
Yes I remember 93 well. I lived in WNC natively and it was much worse there. 77 I was just a small boy so can't remember that too well. Hoping it clears and warms up, I'm over it 😳😳

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored
OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Well finally had a decent afternoon yesterday when I got home from work.. Stopped on my way home and did a thorough APC soak down (KCx Green Star 10:1 with a splash of GSF) and rinse with a coin op high pressure spray. Sprayed out the fender wells and as much as the under carriage as I could get to, even applied the APC to the engine bay and rinsed out. Will do a thorough undercarriage spray with my washer come spring. When I got home I then sprayed down with DIY Detail rinseless wash, then did a full wash with rinseless and their legacy sponge. Did a full drying with KCx FSE as a drying aid and Rag Company Gauntlet towels to help neutralize any leftover salty residue. Much better :) can't wait til spring when I can do a full decon wash and reapply my Gyeon Cancoat.

Before: in the midst of the worst winter storm in decades here in East TN.
IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

And after :) I am happy to have a clean car again.
IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Well finally had a decent afternoon yesterday
Glad the white stuff disappeared, Alex, but man, that must have been a long day essentially washing your girl TWICE and, in what I'm guessing wasn't a particularly warm conditions.

Helluva job and I well remember cold weather washes from my formative years in northern Ohio. Did any of your neighbors get curious and come out to watch? <smile> Like many here, I have always enjoyed washing and detailing a car, regardless of the weather.

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Glad the white stuff disappeared, Alex, but man, that must have been a long day essentially washing your girl TWICE and, in what I'm guessing wasn't a particularly warm conditions.

Helluva job and I well remember cold weather washes from my formative years in northern Ohio. Did any of your neighbors get curious and come out to watch? <smile> Like many here, I have always enjoyed washing and detailing a car, regardless of the weather.
Nah wasn't too bad. Got up to 60 degrees. And the Rinseless only takes about 30 minutes, I ran out of daylight before I could get too much done. That's why I'm rapidly growing to love it. The coin op wash did take a while though and lots of quarters 😳😳. And I definitely want alone there. Everybody and their Grandma was there washing off all the salt 😁.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nah wasn't too bad. Got up to 60 degrees. And the Rinseless only takes about 30 minutes, I ran out of daylight before I could get too much done. That's why I'm rapidly growing to love it. The coin op wash did take a while though and lots of quarters 😳😳. And I definitely want alone there. Everybody and their Grandma was there washing off all the salt 😁.
Same here, went to the touchless wash with both cars this week. It’s rained almost every day this so thankfully a lot of the salt was already washed off the cars and pretty much all of it is off the roads now. I have no doubt we’ll get more snow at some point but at least we’re almost to February!

OP
OP
skinnyb

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Same here, went to the touchless wash with both cars this week. It’s rained almost every day this so thankfully a lot of the salt was already washed off the cars and pretty much all of it is off the roads now. I have no doubt we’ll get more snow at some point but at least we’re almost to February!
Yes, I agree, will be glad when spring is here. And I am so thankful my Mustang is tucked away avoiding all this mess, makes it easy to only have to keep one car clean :) I found when I rinsed at the coin op wash, my water beading had diminished greatly on the lower panels but after the rinseless and FSE wipe down (limestone deposit removal detail spray) it came back pretty good. Kinda nice to use products I don't use very often.
Sponsored