Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Installing all that aftermarket would bring you much more than heartburn.
Your time has value!
Factory equipped with all this is worth a lot!
I pay someone to install my stuff. Factory equipped is worth "something" sure, but not 100+% mark up for inferior parts.. Not to mention I have to pay 2x the labor to remove+install when the factory only pays once and even has an optimized workflow to boot so their labor cost is a fraction of what I pay for.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I pay someone to install my stuff. Factory equipped is worth "something" sure, but not 100+% mark up for inferior parts..
I do as well.
Had full Steeda suspension put on my 15GT by a reputable performance shop. Chased noises for a good month. What a pain in the ass.
I can't tell you how much happier I am with the stock Mach 1 suspension.
Factor in all the components you get over the GT PP and the limited edition, plus a Free day at a race track. It's well worth the couple extra grand

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
In my case I can absolutely afford it. But I refuse to buy since the value for price is simply not there. It should be cheaper not because "I want it so" but because the incremental value simply doesn't exist from Ford's OWN published pricing of the upgrades in prior years. I can buy a new TR3160 and have it installed if I really want. The track coolers etc can be done at least as well if perhaps better for pennies on the dollar.

2-3 grand over a fully kitted Bullitt's pricing for the 700A/HP and I would have no heartburn.
I think 2021 marked a turning point for Ford in pricing of new vehicles and options.

We can argue value till the proverbial cows come home, but I don't see Ford decreasing pricing on the S650, not when their competition (VW group, BMW, Dodge) are charging similar prices.

GM/Chevy are undercutting on the Camaro, but as others have mentioned the Camaro's days are numbered, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if GM raises prices in '23.

Anyway long story short I think you are stuck ordering a '22 Camaro SS or waiting for used values to come back to reality. My guess is the latter is going to take at least a year, and I'm not that patient. I'll take my Mach 1 at the 2% under invoice and call it a day. I can live with knowing I've overpaid ~$2-5k versus MY '20, and I think the cars won't depreciate any more than the usual specialty Mustang (I figure 40% over 5 years if things even back out).

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I can honestly see myself never buying another brand new car. Things have gotten ridiculous.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Yea, I'd guess it's more the 600a and the A10 as opposed to the color. But then again I ordered a yellow car, so my opinion is suspect. For a $3k price differential for similarly equipped vehicles you can bet I would be all over a TO car.

IMO the only reason you buy the 600a non-recaro seats is you are intending to rip them out and replace them with racing seats or your own leather upholstery. Nobody wants a $55k+ car with cheap feeling seats.
I would go for 600a with Recaro. I thought about skipping Recaro's to save money but the little bit it adds to a payment wouldn't make sense to me.

Your time has value!
Exactly why I've strongly considered the Mach 1. Since it seems like straight ICE Mustangs will be gone by 2030 I'm thinking about keeping my PP2 and picking up one of the last ICE Mustangs or maybe one of the first hybrids. At which point I'd just turn my PP2 into a semi-dedicated track car.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I can honestly see myself never buying another brand new car. Things have gotten ridiculous.
Agreed, I have never owned a brand new Mustang or any other performance vehicle for that matter, they have all been pre-owned. My 22 Mach 1 will be my first and last brand new, V8 sports car.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I had 3 used cars and two had major problems in last 3 years, piston burnt, bad design of piston O-rings and eating too much oil, both required engine repairs, burnt-out mechatronics in DSG transmission... I swore to buy only new cars from now on with long warranty and replace the daily car still in warranty (keeping Mustang forever ofc), huge advantage of being the first owner and knowing the maintenance is done properly and long warranty covers peace of mind.

And considering the price of BMW M4 or Porsche 911, I get here the same performance with lot more fun for lot less money. There is something about buying the best model there is (not considering GT350/GT500 that aren't sold here) with best options. If you do that with BMW M4 with M X-drive and all the paid options that Mustang has standard and carbon ceramics, HUD, laser lights which really tempt the person, you'll get a price twice higher for which I could get two Mach 1's. Or more in case of 911. Questionable looks with BMW and super expensive maintenance with Porsche, worse engine and exhaust sound with both... How could Mach 1 be a rip-off even considering our 40% than USA higher prices? Guys be glad you can even buy it šŸ˜

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Agreed, I have never owned a brand new Mustang or any other performance vehicle for that matter, they have all been pre-owned. My 22 Mach 1 will be my first and last brand new, V8 sports car.
I have only ever bought 1 new car/truck, that was 20 years ago. I still have it, although it is headed to the scrap yard soon.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Your time has value!
And so does factory warranty and the option of an extended factory warranty, because itā€™s all factory equipped lol.

Cause all this ā€œI can do all this yadda yadda for x lessā€ is mute when they,

A. Have not done all these things on current vehicle,

B. Donā€™t know, understand, or appreciate the value of the factory warranty,

C. All the above.

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
And so does factory warranty and the option of an extended factory warranty, because itā€™s all factory equipped lol.

Cause all this ā€œI can do all this yadda yadda for x lessā€ is mute when they,

A. Have not done all these things on current vehicle,

B. Donā€™t know, understand, or appreciate the value of the factory warranty,

C. All the above.
I am one who does not know, understand, or appreciate the value of the factory warranty. I have owned 37 cars in my lifetime, and of those, 12 were brand new cars. The only thing I have ever had replaced under warranty was an AC compressor on a Hyundai Equus. I don't even take my vehicles to the dealer for the complimentary oil changes. I have a lift in my garage and do all my own maintenance. Some people really don't need a warranty.

change.jpg

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I am one who does not know, understand, or appreciate the value of the factory warranty. I have owned 37 cars in my lifetime, and of those, 12 were brand new cars. The only thing I have ever had replaced under warranty was an AC compressor on a Hyundai Equus. I don't even take my vehicles to the dealer for the complimentary oil changes. I have a lift in my garage and do all my own maintenance. Some people really don't need a warranty.

change.jpg
On the question of this particular reason itā€™s because all the modifications usually create more things to fix on cars vs things that were designed for the car put on from the factory.

On the question in general, itā€™s better to have and not need than to need and not have.

For example, my wifeā€™s previous vehicle was a 2013 BMW X3 and the time chain blew. Which in the case of her vehicle destroyed her engine entirely. Thankfully it was under warranty because it was a 12,000 fix which was not something we just had laying around at the time.

As a note Iā€™m glad you have almost never needed one.

Second note is that Iā€™m speaking about a factory warranty not some second hand third party deal which I personally believe is a rip-off.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
On the question of this particular reason itā€™s because all the modifications usually create more things to fix on cars vs things that were designed for the car put on from the factory.
I agree. If I had to guess, I would say that the average person on this forum "needs" his/her warranty at a much higher rate than the average car owner. This is due to the fact that the average user on this forum feels like Ford did a lousy job building the car, so they need to make lots of improvements to the performance, features, and looks of the car. I'm guilty of all of the above myself. I currently drive a BMW tuned to at least 650 hp at the crank (probably more) that isn't under warranty, but preventative maintenance is done regularly, and if it has any issues, I will repair it myself.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I agree. If I had to guess, I would say that the average person on this forum "needs" his/her warranty at a much higher rate than the average car owner. This is due to the fact that the average user on this forum feels like Ford did a lousy job building the car, so they need to make lots of improvements to the performance, features, and looks of the car. I'm guilty of all of the above myself. I currently drive a BMW tuned to at least 650 hp at the crank (probably more) that isn't under warranty, but preventative maintenance is done regularly, and if it has any issues, I will repair it myself.
AgreešŸ’Æ, you mod it you fix it.

Some here rail about ā€œ i modded it but Ford wonā€™t fix it free nowā€ though lol.

Different subject though so I digress.
Sponsored