Why the Mach1 is a rip off

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I am doing similar. I am about to consolidate all my loans (mortgage, car, Mach 1, and some personal loans for property investments) into a single 15 year 1.8% fixed loan of about 500k. it'll hedge bets against inflation this way, and the investment properties which are a small chunk of that should cover the payment currently, and the returns from those can be increased over time to match with inflation, eventually, making money on their own while everything else is 'free'
That’s the thing, and this window is closing. Extremely low interest rates are getting ready to become much more rare once the prime is raised.

It’s not just governments dumping free money into the economy, but corporations are now doing the same to entice/retain labor. Add in the global shortages, not just chips but labor as well, which are not going to be stabilizing any time soon.

If one is financially in a position to capitalize on this, and they have the discipline to not over leverage themselves, then the time is now.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You're guys orders were super early too, like May, right? That was rough for how long you waited. I maintain Ford should have sent ya'll a fruit basket with some whiskey or whatnot.

There was someone else on the '21 M1 order tracking thread sad that his late September order was scheduled for late Decemember, and I was kinda like, bro....I feel you, but what did you seriously expect after watching the shitstorm of the last few months? Ford should have stopped taking orders after August IMO.
Ford's lucky I really like the car because they basically sent a giant middle finger to us who ordered in March/April/May. We all know this car would have sold instantly regardless though. They really have the upper hand right now.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
That’s the thing, and this window is closing. Extremely low interest rates are getting ready to become much more rare once the prime is raised.
but are they? how else can the gov ease the debt burden short of inflating it away? not away but down the road at least. interest rates rising would be a shock this house of cards cannot afford.

It’s not just governments dumping free money into the economy, but corporations are now doing the same to entice/retain labor. Add in the global shortages, not just chips but labor as well, which are not going to be stabilizing any time soon.
you mean we cant just shut the economy down every time someone gets the sniffles? :cwl:

If one is financially in a position to capitalize on this, and they have the discipline to not over leverage themselves, then the time is now.
absolutely! we can bitch all day about how we got here but the most important point is this.......find a way to take advantage of it.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
but are they? how else can the gov ease the debt burden short of inflating it away? not away but down the road at least. interest rates rising would be a shock this house of cards cannot afford.
This is pickle for sure, but I do see the Fed raising the prime in 2022.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

Sponsored

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Will that affect the choice as well?
It certainly will.

Everything is affected when the cost of borrowing goes up, but it’s one of only a few tools for governments/banks to cover their end.

Imagine in 5 years if a comparable car costs 100k.

Think of how much money those that are backing the currency are losing in runaway inflation. Their only means of stabilizing that loss is to raise interest rates.

As Atlas pointed out though, it’s a house of cards, or like a game of Jenga. One wrong move can cause a crash.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
msrp + tax + plates

what does the name shelby add to the value of a car?
It's not the name, it's the model/trim and investment by Ford Performance into the platform and drivetrain that separates the Shelby Mustangs from the non-Shelby Mustangs.

That said, I'd argue the Shelby name certainly adds to the price of a car, what with the insane ADMs we've seen on the GT500s and GT350Rs.

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
I paid over 50k for a warmed up over 10 year old Mercedes platform 10 years ago. The 2012 SRT8 was worth every penny. Way better than a 2012 Mustang GT. The M1 was about 60k. In that time, my salary about doubled. Not sure what the definition of rip off is here. The M1 is way better as it should be for a 10 year newer car. I love it. The Dodge was a bruiser, the M1 is a race car. What’s a ripoff? $8 for a Big Mac.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My issue with the Mach 1 was that I can get the ZL1 1LE for not too much more and the performance of the ZLE exceeds the mach 1 greatly. I would pick a Mach 1 over a SS 1LE on looks alone but the Camaro is really really good. I drove one on the street and on the track and its a great platform.
What, like $15K more or something? That seems like a LOT to me. Basically an entire additional car's worth of money.

nonsense. There will be a MY23 camaro. Job #1 date already confirmed. The Blackwings are Camaro Gen6.5. They got C8 bits and are on the updated chassis the Camaro uses today. It would be trivial to put Camaro body and shove LT1 engine into a CT4 or CT5 and give it that special cut-rate interior Camaro prides itself on. Gen7 may be gone but since the 'maro and the Blackwngs are built at the same plant, a little badge engineering would be downright simple.
I hope you're right and Chevy keeps making the Camaro. And hopefully they improve it. I really need a Camaro with the new FPC Chevy engine and a manual transmission.

Agreed.

My '15 stickered for $40,015. I just went on the configurator, and the closest equivalent, sparsely-optioned Premium GT lists for $50,530 today. You can't tell me that the new one is improved to the tune of $10K.

It's more than a little ridiculous. I can only imagine what the S650 will bring.
Yeah, a 25% increase in price in 6 years is a ripoff.

even low inflation levels account for over half of that in 6 years. so it is only a 4-5k difference tops, which is reasonable considering the engine generation tunings, suspension tuning improvements, etc.
I think a little extra power and more RPM are good improvements, but the PTWA cylinders and DI are downgrades. Also the manual transmission gearing for the newer cars is terrible. If I could get better gearing with port injection and a better engine block I'd be a lot more likely to buy.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
My issue with the Mach 1 was that I can get the ZL1 1LE for not too much more and the performance of the ZLE exceeds the mach 1 greatly. I would pick a Mach 1 over a SS 1LE on looks alone but the Camaro is really really good. I drove one on the street and on the track and its a great platform.
For me it came down to riding on the car or in the car which is a big deal for us older guys. I didn't like the small windows or the blind spots either. Drove the Camaro and thought the 2SS 1LE was a great street car compare. I actually think it is a better designed and engineered vehicle, but not the best fit for my use case. I sold it to my wife on the "Mustang Weekend" theme and we will be using it for several weekend trips a year up and down the east coast so the bigger trunk will come in handy as well. My buddy has a previous gen Bullitt and is installing a supercharger to keep up, so I can't change plans now!

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I have a question for the US Guys. What is the difference in price of the M1 compared to the previous years GT 350/350R cars?
Over here in Australia they are selling us Mach 1’s without handling package, Without the better diff, rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise for about 20k over what our GT is, which seems like a pretty loaded PP1 version you guys have. That’s without taking into account the dealer markup. The JFG M1 I looked at had a 5k markup on top of that because I think we have only received 700 M1 cars.
I really wish Australia would have got the Shelby 350’s imported by Ford, the only way you can get them here is with huuuuuge mark ups.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I have a question for the US Guys. What is the difference in price of the M1 compared to the previous years GT 350/350R cars?
Over here in Australia they are selling us Mach 1’s without handling package, Without the better diff, rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise for about 20k over what our GT is, which seems like a pretty loaded PP1 version you guys have. That’s without taking into account the dealer markup. The JFG M1 I looked at had a 5k markup on top of that because I think we have only received 700 M1 cars.
I really wish Australia would have got the Shelby 350’s imported by Ford, the only way you can get them here is with huuuuuge mark ups.
I think the GT350's retailed for ~$60-70k depending on options for 2020; I think $65k for the tech package was the most common spec, but I could be wrong.

There is no question in my mind that the GT350 was a great value, and in all honesty if it was offered in 2021 I would have purchased one. That isn't a mark against the Mach btw, which is what I ended up ordering because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay over MSRP on a 2 year old car with 15k+ miles when I can pay under MSRP on a new vehicle.

I never really followed the 350R pricing because the lack of A/C and a rear seat defeated the point of owning a Mustang, but I think they were $10-15k more than the base car.

It does seem like you guys get hosed on the export Mach in terms of pricing, for which you have my sympathy. If I were in your shoes, and the Mach was like $20k USD over the GT you guys get (which is the premium/pp1/magneride?), I wouldn't buy it. Over in the US it's a no-brainer since the Mach is only ~$3k USD more than a loaded GT.

Edit: To answer your original question, the Mach in super base trim retails for $54k, but almost everyone buys the $56k premium with leather seats (600a v 700a). The next big expensive option is the handling pack for $4k. A fully loaded, all optioned 2022 Mach 1 can get up to $64k

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I think the GT350's retailed for ~$60-70k depending on options for 2020; I think $65k for the tech package was the most common spec, but I could be wrong.

There is no question in my mind that the GT350 was a great value, and in all honesty if it was offered in 2021 I would have purchased one. That isn't a mark against the Mach btw, which is what I ended up ordering because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay over MSRP on a 2 year old car with 15k+ miles when I can pay under MSRP on a new vehicle.

I never really followed the 350R pricing because the lack of A/C and a rear seat defeated the point of owning a Mustang, but I think they were $10-15k more than the base car.

It does seem like you guys get hosed on the export Mach in terms of pricing, for which you have my sympathy. If I were in your shoes, and the Mach was like $20k USD over the GT you guys get (which is the premium/pp1/magneride?), I wouldn't buy it. Over in the US it's a no-brainer since the Mach is only ~$3k USD more than a loaded GT.

Edit: To answer your original question, the Mach in super base trim retails for $54k, but almost everyone buys the $56k premium with leather seats (600a v 700a). The next big expensive option is the handling pack for $4k. A fully loaded, all optioned 2022 Mach 1 can get up to $64k
Thanks mate , I was just interested in the price differential between the different cars over there.
Yer I got my GT with Magneride last year for 68K Aud (Sticker price was 76K), the JFG M1 I looked at was $93,682 because of the limited stock, this was the only one available in my state at the time and that price was with 5k dealer markup over RRP.
There is no question we get hosed on our Mustangs here in Australia. We get less goodies included in our M1 vehicles plus the engine is also detuned, so it only makes an extra 6kw over our GT’s

Last edited:

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
I maintain Ford should have sent ya'll a fruit basket with some whiskey or whatnot.
You never know, they might. I've had a Bronco on order since Sept 2020 and Ford keeps sending me gifts every few months. So far I've received a Bronco branded camping tent, some artwork and just last week I got a nice Bronco flag. I wish they would just send the truck already...

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
You never know, they might. I've had a Bronco on order since Sept 2020 and Ford keeps sending me gifts every few months. So far I've received a Bronco branded camping tent, some artwork and just last week I got a nice Bronco flag. I wish they would just send the truck already...
how big is the tent? wonder if I can buy one from someone.
Sponsored