Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
can't get it without 700A

except the minimum is 54K. Hence the title of the thread.
OK
A base with no other options at $51k ..is still a bargain .
In 2018 my PPI (it did have a lot of options ) was 50K sticker . A10 car as I was going to drag race it-probably should have just got a base . LOL
I still think if you are in the market for a new manual mustang it makes sense .
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe printing of those trillions of dollars has something to do with XX% rise of price from 2018 to 2021 too. Base MSRP is $52,720 with destination charges $1,195 = total $53,915. Compare the price to current GT PP1 with Magneride and active valve exhaust (not Premium) which is 48k. With Premium versions the price difference is even lower.

3-5k over PP1 is not bad at all. Which only makes GT PP1 a rip-off too for some, haha.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe printing of those trillions of dollars has something to do with XX% rise of price from 2018 to 2021 too.
25% ANNUAL inflation is ok in your book? When the "real" inflation rate is low single digits? GM's calculator uses the correct value. Is Ford's calculator missing a decimal point on the keypad?

Compare the price to current GT PP1 with Magneride and active valve exhaust (not Premium) which is 48k.
Sure it smells reasonable but you completely ignored the preposterous 2K hike in the PP1 package bits that Ford baked into the cake. That 48K should be 46k and furthermore those cars have factory rebates and dealer discount which widens the gap even more dramatically.

This is what correct pricing looks like.
https://www.malloyfordalexandria.co...a0e0a6b26358b6dcfc86e43.htm?searchDepth=20:20

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Makes one wonder why real inflation doesn't increase when you flood the market with 20% more dollars? Nice article.
But inflation is just one factor. They strive for more profit each year. Prices of components or transport go up. Price of labour goes up.

Where did you get 25% annual price increase? That'd be almost 2x in 3 years. olaosunt wrote he bought PP1 for 50k in 2018.

You can argue that GT PP1 is a rip-off and that Camaro is better, sure. But when you compare GT PP1 and Mach 1 alone, the price difference is spot on and not very big, given the improvements and limited edition run.

Last edited:

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
Something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. The Mach 1 seems to be selling well, especially in world markets like the UK where all allocations have sold out. Seems like many think it's worth what is being asked.
To me, it is a special model as it is the closest we get (in the UK) to something like a GT350 in RHD form and we don't get any other muscle car models sold directly to the UK. The world market is also a reason why the Mach 1 exists in the form it does with the engine it has, due to having to be homologated to many different markets, not just the US.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They strive for more profit each year. Prices of components or transport go up. Price of labour goes up
That's all just inflation manifesting itself in various places. But it's also the case that as you make more units and refine the process the piece price is supposed to go DOWN. We see this consumer electronics and appliances. The price machinations would suggest Ford is every increasingly INefficient the more unit they and their suppliers build. That is counter-factual.

I'll give you inflation should have been reported at 18%. But that still can't justify 25%/yr back to back.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
3-5k over PP1 is not bad at all. Which only makes GT PP1 a rip-off too for some, haha.
consider the Bullitt. It mysteriously didn't get a 25% price hike in it's PP components. I wonder why...

A 2, maybe 3 grand premium over Bullitt (53.5 with everything) would have been reasonable for the 700A +M6+Recaro+Red_calipers+B&O and all the interior trimmings. Instead it's $59.

Another max 1500 for the HandlingPack would also have been within the realm of reasonable.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to cost 10k less (or 30k since I'll pay $86k). If I had your options, 5k difference would be tiny nuisance, really. Isn't it like equivalent of 1 paycheck for most people in USA? Maybe it'd play bigger role if I was buying the car for just few years, the depreciation of cars is huge, but given where the car market is heading here, I'm buying one of the last of their kind, for 20 years at least, so I can bite the price.

Maybe Ford wants more bucks out of these, and PP1 too, so they raised their price. If it was 2k over PP1, it would be way too close.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
EEEEEEXACTLY

Even if it is a parts bin car, the price is right where it should be for all the parts it has on it. The people who are pissed about it are the ones who foolishly expected a bespoke 525hp 5.2L engine for a car with a 1 1/2 year run, but still would’ve bitched and moaned when the starting price was right around the GT350’s because it’s not “speshul” enough to demand that price since it doesn’t have a fucking snake badge on it

The other people who are mad about the Mach 1 are people who wanted an ugly, useless, non-functional hood scoop on it... and I can’t tell which group of people is more moronic
And such an engine would have made me a buyer, higher price be damned. Oh wait, the higher price part is mostly all there.

Speshul = more expensive.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Good Lord, does anyone other than professional athletes really pay $6300 for a watch?? I hope it’s 6300 times more accurate than my cell phone!

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the GT PP1 got bump in the price too from 4k to 6k. PP2 used to cost 6.5k from what I found. I wonder what GT350 would cost now if it was still sold.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Voodoo may have been bespoke but it was used for 6 years in thousands of cars. That says parts bin to me. Same goes with the Tremec which is being used in the Mach! Then start adding in all the rest of the parts included with the Mach 1.
The Voodoo has always been exclusive to the GT350. Only some of the Voodoo came over to the GT500. At this point the 3160 probably is at 'parts bin' status. Though with the money they ended up asking for the PP2 package you'd think they could have bundled the 3160 into that without having to make the package all that much pricier.

This car is only a rip off to those who really wanted one and thought, foolishly, that it would have parts it was never going to have and/or a price tag that everyone know wasn't going to happen. You call it a rip off, I call it sour grapes. This is a thread for complainers, pure and simple. But everyone is entitled to express their opinion, so continue to have at it.
Not sour grapes. More like disappointment.

I see it having fixed a number of PP2 shortcomings at what feels like a disproportionately higher price.

Norm
Sponsored