Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
What does S550 stand for?

Is it anything other than a random Code or Does it have some historical significance?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good question and I've never questioned it myself........just accepted it! But I'd be interested to know how they come up with the naming conventions.....SN95, S197, S550 :)

Also, who gets the choose the engine programme names.....Coyote, Roadrunner, Voodoo..... :)

Mriley

As I understand it, the SN in SN95 stood for Specialty Vehicle, North America, and 95 is just the project code number. I've read that the S in S197 stood for sport.

I'm going to guess that S550 stands for Sport and 550 is a nod to it being the 50th anniversary without being too obvious.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
The call it the s550 because calling it. THIS CAR GIVES ME WOOD, would be politically incorrect.

Sponsored

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Usually the first letter designates the platform or model type, and the number is the program number. In this case S=sports car, and 550 may have been the next available program number within Ford. For example, the current Fusion is CD391, and the current F150 is P415.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Back in 1994, the SN-95 designation was said to be broken down as follows -

S=specialty market segment
N=North American market
95=program number

Similar naming standards, as noted above, seem to exist currently.

Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Fine.

"E46 and F-Body were taken."
The underpinnings have more in common with an E90/E92 than it does with the E46 if memory serves me correctly...

Not to split hairs any further or anything. :lol:

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
The underpinnings have more in common with an E90/E92 than it does with the E46 if memory serves me correctly...

Not to split hairs any further or anything. :lol:
I just picked a platform, and it happens to be my favorite of all the M3s.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
I heard it was to indicate the MSRP raise of $550. They couldn't use the $ symbol, so they had to use the letter "S". I have a buddy that works for Ford...

Tressel

This has always been an interesting topic to me. The platform and program code names are always readily leaked very early on in development yet Ford (to my knowledge at least) never formally acknowledges the program code names despite entire forums, webpages like Wiki and about.com, and Mustang books that use and describe these code names unofficially in detail.

On a side note I was at the NY reveal and overheard someone ask D. Pericak if the platform had a specific name and he replied no they don't have a specific name for it (like the Fox, which he brought up) but it is "absolutely unique" to the Mustang. He sort of dodged the follow up question of whether it would be used anywhere else but from his answer (I have it recorded somewhere, i'll take another listen) it sounded at least in the near future it would not be.

By the way I understand the S550 is the program name but it is related to what I am talking about. Still fascinating to me you won't hear any Ford guys refer to the "S550" in public. What's interesting is also that if this is a totally new platform that they would use to probably spin off a few siblings why they would not give it an official platform name. The SN95 and S197 which are more derivatives it makes sense, but not sure why this would be the case for the new car.
Sponsored