Why Ford why.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Just removed mine today. I think a ratcheting flex head wrench would be the best for the job, I didnt have that though, lol. Used a 1/4 ratchet, flex and extensions.

Wasn't as bad as the oil pickup tube bolt, but it reminded me of it. Lol
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks! Looks much cleaner without it. What is it's function? What is it supposed to do?

Thanks again!
:shrug: dunno.

Make you think the engine is more powerful than it actually is?

Make the engine compartment look more complicated?

Cover for a too-quiet OE exhaust?

Add background sound so you'll have to turn the radio up louder?

Norm

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Back in the day :-) we could hear "induction noise" at full throttle from most sports and muscle cars but especially from 4 barrel V8's and even more so when we removed the air cleaners. It was as enjoyable as the sound of a good sounding exhaust system. Cars are so well insulated now that apparently customers, or at least marketing types, complain that the cars are too quiet during full throttle acceleration. Solution: Pipe some of the induction noise into the cockpit.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

http://hackaday.com/2016/12/05/sporty-cars-making-fake-engine-noise/

http://jalopnik.com/5973177/this-is...en-engine-sounds-arent-piped-in-by-a-computer

My only "complaint" about the sound tube is that the car is so darn fast compared to the 69 351 4V I owned when it was new is that I cannot safely, let alone legally, use full throttle much. :-)

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
It is so easy to remove. Just pull up and twist. Took less than 5 seconds after the other side was disconnected. Why even bother with the bolt?

Another thread on this is exciting. Can't wait to see all the responses. :-)
This...just leave the nut on there and give it a quick sharp tug and Voila its off. The hardest part of that maneuver is getting the FW plug in

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
The engine bay looks SO MUCH BETTER AND CLEANER w/o the tube. I plan on removing mine soon as well. It's really fugly.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I pulled my sound to using a quarter inch socket from below. The engine bay is much cleaner. I can't hear the difference. And you can buy plug kits from several vendors.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I did a hybrid approach, yanked then took the nut off đź‘Ť

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just wait until they make an electric car sound like a V8 but only in the inside. Or is this already a thing?

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
How can an engineer sign off on something that does not improve performance or gas mileage and increases weight ? Little things like the sound tube cost money to design and manufacture but do not save weight.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Speaking as an engineer, it's because we don't get to design the car. We get to design certain aspects to meet the functional specifications and requirements set out for is by marketing, higher up engineering, and corporate. We're little cogs in a big machine. It probably came down from marketing on high that it would make it a more attractive prody to have a certain sound and it was worth it to do it. Once that kind of decision is made the design engineer has to do it, now certainly there are ways to push back but those would be reserved for important things like safety, regulatory adherence, and manufacturability and would all take a lot of time and effort to fight. Something like this sound tube isn't worth fighting to that degree, it's a small thing they throw to one of the newer Mech E's probably.
This ^^^

And sometimes you can come up with a truly exquisite engineering solution that somebody higher up revises for reasons of their own. Been there.

Norm

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
I caped mine off at the air intake.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Just did mine, I had to buy a long 1/4 extension, but hey, new addition to the tool box. Came of easy without hacking the removed part. I first "capped" the hole with a cut piece of flexible magnet until I got the proper hole plug from CJ Pony Parts. I had a rubber tube cap for the air box port. The magnetic part probably would have stayed forever, but I got the hole Ford hole plug, +.05 hp!!!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At least on Bullitts (and GT350s), it's done without adding any weight... but owners should be able to turn that off without needing to resort to FORScan and such. I turned mine off since day 1. And the natural sound is MUCH better, so no idea why the hell Ford did that on the Mustangs. My 2018 F-150 Platinum 3.5EB had fake V8 noise, which didn't sound bad at all, but I can't stand anything fake, and it was louder than the engine, so turned it off too. Cabin became much quieter, and it was nice to hear the subdued turbos spooling up. BMWs started doing that crap, and everybody else followed suit. An automotive abomination IMO. Ha ha.
Sponsored