Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I bought my 1SS/1LE in May '19 for 38.5k OTD (incl 4% tax, so 37) on a 45K MSRP. But I had a $2000 Mustang Conquest Discount which GM hasn't run for many months now. An equivalent Mustang would have run me at least 45 (PP2, 400A, Recaro, Active Exhaust) and it still wouldn't have a Tremec nor any cooling. Not to mention the PP2 damping (or especially GT's MR damping), hell even the GT350's MR damping were plainly inferior to the Camaro's.
Wow, so brand new Camaros are going for like 20% off MSRP now? No wonder Chevy is considering discontinuing them... Though even the MSRP is a bit lower than I thought I recalled.

Although I wonder if the 1SS is fully comparable to the 400A. Is that package not closer to 2SS trim? Or would that only be the case with the 401A package?

bluestang65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ 1965 Mustang a code
I suggest rewarding Ford for continuing to support the Ponycar market. Chevy is killing theirs and that decision is already made...
The Mustang has at least another generation planned (here's hoping it doesn't bloat to challenger weight and dimensions).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Although I wonder if the 1SS is fully comparable to the 400A. Is that package not closer to 2SS trim?
1SS/1LE has leather seats. All cars have a proper [2-4]01a-trim equivalent to Sync3 screen and such. 2SS trim is mostly electronic (adaptive cruise, Safe and Sound, BLISS), memory seats and 'my color' crap. And sure, the leather is nicer.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Because it has the visibility of a machine gun bunker and the styling is terrible.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Depends what you want.
1000 hp @ 11,100 rpm naturally aspirated Valkyrie engine designed to last 60,000 miles. Boosted guys beware haha.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove the Camaro extensively before I bought my 18 GT. I just preferred the way the Mustang drove. I also liked the interior more. I also didn't like visibility out of the Camaro.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Performance to me in this comparison is almost completely not worth considering. We aren't comparing a Miata to a Ferrari here. With Camaro v Mustang, 96% of the time, it's a driver's race. And even when it's not, fun factor is more important than speed -- any reasonable people among us who aren't playing for slips only care about speed to the extent that it equates to fun. It may be a separate debate on which car is more fun to drive, but 'Ring and 0-60 times have no part in it.

I mean if all else was equal? Sure, of course I'd pick the slightly faster car. But all else is never equal.

Of course having said that, price, styling, reliability, practicality, etc are always worth considering. Did you get it for 45K out the door? That's pretty incredible if so, though I wonder how much the pandemic might affect that now. I've been reading that fun cars, especially in more exclusive trims, have actually seen a boost in demand (relative to production) during the pandemic. And I could see that having both the Camaro and the Mustang closer to their MSRPs, but not sure how true that is.

I wasn't aware that the manual in the Camaro was any better or more reliable than that in the Mach 1/GT350, though. That's interesting. Do you have anymore info on that?
i did say slightly faster. Admitting that its a negligible difference. However, for the price..i think the gap widens. Like i said, the ss 1le can be had for around pp1 price (base model not premium, the premium pp1 is more expensive). between the two the camaro just felt better than my mustang. Other people disagree and thats fine.

i got the camaro less than a month ago, so this reflects pandemic prices. It was ~45k + TTL. For comparison sake, the pp1 premium mustangs i looked at locally, the lowest any of them went was 47.5k + TTL. But across the board the camaro is less $$$.

the camaro 1le (and regular ss) comes with the tremec 6060. The mach 1 and gt350 come with the 3160. both are great but the 6060 is a more robust transmission from what ive seen.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Wow, so brand new Camaros are going for like 20% off MSRP now? No wonder Chevy is considering discontinuing them... Though even the MSRP is a bit lower than I thought I recalled.

Although I wonder if the 1SS is fully comparable to the 400A. Is that package not closer to 2SS trim? Or would that only be the case with the 401A package?
from what ive seen, they recently stated they will keep making them until 2026, so who knows after that.

the 1le adds leather + alcantara seats, steering wheel, and shift knob. It also adds a heads up display, 6 piston brembo front and 4 piston brembo rear, magneride, coolers, and some extra visual additions. probably forgetting things as well.

the 2ss 1le that i got additionally adds small things that dont matter as much but i appreciate, being heated and cooled feature to the seats (the 1ss 1le has them built in but doesnt utilize it), blind spot monitoring, mycolor, BOSE sound system (which mattered to me and sounds better than the 1ss, will be nice for my cross country drive), memory seats, and one of the most notable options to me...a rear view mirror camera. At first it was trippy, but now i love it and IMO, removes what most would probably consider visibility issues as you dont need to look out the rear at all anymore, you can see it all with the camera.

I suggest rewarding Ford for continuing to support the Ponycar market. Chevy is killing theirs and that decision is already made...
The Mustang has at least another generation planned (here's hoping it doesn't bloat to challenger weight and dimensions).
see above. it seems they plan to keep making them at least until 2026.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
from what ive seen, they recently stated they will keep making them until 2026, so who knows after that.

the 1le adds leather + alcantara seats, steering wheel, and shift knob. It also adds a heads up display, 6 piston brembo front and 4 piston brembo rear, magneride, coolers, and some extra visual additions. probably forgetting things as well.

the 2ss 1le that i got additionally adds small things that dont matter as much but i appreciate, being heated and cooled feature to the seats (the 1ss 1le has them built in but doesnt utilize it), blind spot monitoring, mycolor, BOSE sound system (which mattered to me and sounds better than the 1ss, will be nice for my cross country drive), memory seats, and one of the most notable options to me...a rear view mirror camera. At first it was trippy, but now i love it and IMO, removes what most would probably consider visibility issues as you dont need to look out the rear at all anymore, you can see it all with the camera.

see above. it seems they plan to keep making them at least until 2026.
Continued decline of sales and further discounts on a car fewer and fewer will want??

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Continued decline of sales and further discounts on a car fewer and fewer will want??
perhaps. Who knows, maybe v8s with a manual option will become more coveted in that time frame :cwl:

in all seriousness, it adds competition, and a lot of it..vs the mustang. Itll keep driving the mustang to step up its game at the very least. Maybe hood props, a heads up display, getting rid of the calculator screen in the base model..and a better IRS/transmission. I know a few of the things on the camaro make a big difference to me vs the mustang. from reviews on this forum it seems like the main issues people have with the camaro are visibility (which i seriously dont agree with, but to each their own), and appearance (which again i dont agree with, but opinions are opinions). So if chevy fixed those two things......

I dont know why it seems like some people actually want a v8 competitor to disappear, that doesn't bode well for the market. without the camaro ford also has less reason to even try to keep prices down on the mustang. People are still buying it now even with the camaro being arguably as much or more bang for the buck..competition is a good thing.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
without the camaro ford also has less reason to even try to keep prices down on the mustang
More importantly, if the camaro didn't come back in 2010, the Mustang would still be a 300 hp terminator turd haha.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
also, for the nay sayers that doubted comments before vs the shelby..here is a quote from motortrend, one of many who said this in a review of the zl1vs the gt350r

"That big lump of a supercharged V-8-while potent-puts way too much weight in exactly the wrong spot. For reference, the SS 1LE weighs in at 3,735 pounds. I will also go on record stating that I preferred the way the SS 1LE handled compared to the ZL1-and also to the GT350R."

Last edited:

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I simply didn't want one. The Mustang styling is what I preferred, and a 4 valve OHC modern V8 engine helped. Plus Chevy's suck. There, I said it, are yin's happy?!?!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the ss 1le can be had for around pp1 price (base model not premium
My '19 GT-base/PP1 bought in late Jan 2019 (just 4 months before I bought the SS/1LE) was 34.5+TTL or 2.5k cheaper, but significantly less content as itemized previously. I was seriously considering getting rid of the Mustang as it was clearly inferior car for the purposes of driving. But the soft-side (interior etc) and the forum quality believe it or not, swayed me to keep it a bit longer. Plus the contrast was interesting and the GT wasn't so horrible that it couldn't be fixed by throwing money at Steeda and BMR. And then I decided What the Hell, keep both. And then 2 months later bought an Ecoboost/PP1 and new GTI Rabbit while I was it and do my own, private 4-car drive-off and camparo. The 4-bangers are both gone now a year after I bought them and my finances are less strained. :)

It was a fun year.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I simply didn't want one. The Mustang styling is what I preferred, and a 4 valve OHC modern V8 engine helped. Plus Chevy's suck. There, I said it, are yin's happy?!?!
thankfully we are all entitled to our opinion.

honestly i loved my mustang as well. Me getting the new 2ss 1le started with me just wanting to check it out, i didnt really plan on getting it.

after i drove it i immediately listed my 2018 supercharged 10r80 gt for sale for more than i put into it. Sold it a few days later and picked up the 2ss 1le i test drove.