Sponsored

Why didn't I like the GT350..?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Before I bought my new GT I took the chance to look at everything available that interested me since every car that I've owned in this category for the last 10+ years has been Mustangs only. So I test drove a Challenger SRT, Camaro SS, 2016 Mustang GT, GT350, and my 2019 Mustang GT.

I liked the speed and power (torque) of the Camaro and the way it put that power down to the road. It was confidence inspiring in the curves and easy to drive fast. I did not like the feeling I was sitting way down inside it and that positioning made the car feel very large in a way with the poor visibility. Changing lanes became a gambling sport. I was out.

When I drove the GT350 I had read heard so much about it I had really high expectations and in some ways those expectations were nailed down solid. The exhaust note and shifting of this car are both fantastic. The transmission in the GT350 should absolutely be in the GT, or at least an option. The car I drove had the Recaro's are they were horrible. I've been into bodybuilding/powerlifting for quite some time and there is no way I was fitting in between those seat bolsters. It seemed so unbelievably small. Anyway, on to the handling of the car. When I put the car hard into a corner it was impressively grippy. The trade off was that the car felt nervous af driving down the interstate, literally you could feel the front end hopping as we went over bumps on the highway. I had to make many, many corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car driving straight in the short 3 mile ride down the highway, to the point I knew there was NO WAY I could live with this car for the long term and I instantly understood another reason why these cars almost always have low mileage....it was a pain to keep it going straight down the road lol

All of the aforementioned as well as the price tag is what ultimately put me into a new GT as opposed to what had been a dream car of mine for quite some time, and I have to say I'm super comfortable with my purchase choice given the driving characteristics of the GT350 I did drive. I know for a fact I couldn't handle that thing on a daily basis even if I switched out the seats.

Question for you guys that have or have driven a GT350:
Is my experience like yours or did I just happen to drive one that had something wrong with it?
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Before I bought my new GT I took the chance to look at everything available that interested me since every car that I've owned in this category for the last 10+ years has been Mustangs only. So I test drove a Challenger SRT, Camaro SS, 2016 Mustang GT, GT350, and my 2019 Mustang GT.

I liked the speed and power (torque) of the Camaro and the way it put that power down to the road. It was confidence inspiring in the curves and easy to drive fast. I did not like the feeling I was sitting way down inside it and that positioning made the car feel very large in a way with the poor visibility. Changing lanes became a gambling sport. I was out.

When I drove the GT350 I had read heard so much about it I had really high expectations and in some ways those expectations were nailed down solid. The exhaust note and shifting of this car are both fantastic. The transmission in the GT350 should absolutely be in the GT, or at least an option. The car I drove had the Recaro's are they were horrible. I've been into bodybuilding/powerlifting for quite some time and there is no way I was fitting in between those seat bolsters. It seemed so unbelievably small. Anyway, on to the handling of the car. When I put the car hard into a corner it was impressively grippy. The trade off was that the car felt nervous af driving down the interstate, literally you could feel the front end hopping as we went over bumps on the highway. I had to make many, many corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car driving straight in the short 3 mile ride down the highway, to the point I knew there was NO WAY I could live with this car for the long term and I instantly understood another reason why these cars almost always have low mileage....it was a pain to keep it going straight down the road lol

All of the aforementioned as well as the price tag is what ultimately put me into a new GT as opposed to what had been a dream car of mine for quite some time, and I have to say I'm super comfortable with my purchase choice given the driving characteristics of the GT350 I did drive. I know for a fact I couldn't handle that thing on a daily basis even if I switched out the seats.

Is my experience like yours or did I just happen to drive one that had something wrong with it?
Although the GT350 is beautiful car, I believe it is more of a statement than a car that most people can realistically enjoy as an everyday vehicle.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I loved my brief drive in a 350, but found it a little lacking in normal driving in terms of torque due to its powerband. Kind of a tricky beast around town, not its forte.

Not that I wouldn't want one. Hell yes. But first thing I'd do is stick some 4.09s in the axle to snap it up a tad.

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
I was on the fence about buying one too. I looked for about 2 years for one in my price range and in the mean time looked at all the problems they had encountered. Oil consumption was the biggest problem and a lot of them were lemon buy backs. Blown engines, electrical problems, dead batteries. I wanted one bad but never got the chance to drive one. I ended up with the 2015 Roush RS2 with the 727 hp. Other than the mt82 trans i`m very happy but Ben Calimer will help me with this problem.

Reactions: A7X

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I did not experience any ill handling as you explain at all. In fact, the brakes and handling were a definite plus IMO. The trans was great, and I just don't see all the complaints of no low end torque. Rev the damn thing, that's what it's made for. If the GT PP2 wasn't $20K less, I'd probably be driving one now. I could certainly see myself enjoying it on the street as well as the few times a year I'll have it on the track. There just weren't any deals to be had on a 350 that I could find, and I just didn't see $20K of differences between a 350 and the GT PP2.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The stock tires are why it felt “nervous” on the highway, they’re made for a flat and clean track. If you put “normal” summer, all season, or winter tires on it then it should be fine. I agree about the recaro seats, I am not a fan. Thankfully the GT and GT350 share the same seat options and you don’t have to get the recaro seats.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Every time I think about looking into a 350 again, I run across more terrifying threads on engine issues.

The FB group is really bad....

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Mine was mostly that I do a lot of city/stop and go/small town driving. The lower end TQ of the 5.0 and gearing made it feel more comfortable to drive. If I was doing a lot more highway driving I'd probably enjoy the 350 more.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Did the GT350 have the magna ride?

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the GT350 have the magna ride?
The GT350 has magnaride as standard. The interstate/highway issues were due to the Michelin Cup 2 tires which are barely street legal and made primarily for track usage.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
The GT350 has magnaride as standard. The interstate/highway issues were due to the Michelin Cup 2 tires which are barely street legal and made primarily for track usage.
I think the OP is saying he drove a 2016 GT350 the base GT350 in 2016 did not come with magne ride.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Sorry for not being clear guys, the GT350 was a 2017.

I tried the car in all modes while driving and couldn't get rid of the nervousness of the car. It was all over the place when any little bump was hit, transitions in pavement surfaces, etc. Really turned me off to the car very quickly.

Ass-asin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premier PP1 Magnetic Gray
The trade off was that the car felt nervous af driving down the interstate, literally you could feel the front end hopping as we went over bumps on the highway. I had to make many, many corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car driving straight in the short 3 mile ride down the highway, to the point I knew there was NO WAY I could live with this car for the long term and I instantly understood another reason why these cars almost always have low mileage....it was a pain to keep it going straight down the road lol

I believe part of what you experienced is the width of the wheels, so don't go PP2 with the GT because it will be similar.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the OP is saying he drove a 2016 GT350 the base GT350 in 2016 did not come with magne ride.
I honestly have no idea and cannot find an article stating one way or another, but, regardless, it was due to the Cup 2 tires. You feel and get pulled by any and every slight imperfection in the road with them.
Sponsored