Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
I'll believe it when I see some results at a reasonable cost. Ford's has a long history of latest and greatest engines that proved to be underwhelming.
6.0....still have nightmares from mine...can't get rid of the damn thing noone wants it, and it breaks faster that I can do repairs to keep it from throwing codes :/

Advertisement

Balr14

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2010 BMW 335i
6.0....still have nightmares from mine...can't get rid of the damn thing noone wants it, and it breaks faster that I can do repairs to keep it from throwing codes :/
The first thing that comes to mind is the 514 crate motor from the early 2000s. Valve train and intake were totally unsuitable for the street. The second was the 312.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX, '01 20AE
Nope, just a big fan of engine swaps and hot-rodding.
I've done a couple of swaps myself, so I really do get this. But any swap still has to make more sense than simply demonstrating it to be possible.

Norm

Balr14

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I've done a couple of swaps myself, so I really do get this. But any swap still has to make more sense than simply demonstrating it to be possible.
That is my feelings as well. If I'm serious about building a big motor for drag racing, I'm starting with a Merlin or Dart. I'm not going to invest thousands in a stock block build just to see if I can do it.

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've done a couple of swaps myself, so I really do get this. But any swap still has to make more sense than simply demonstrating it to be possible.Norm
I agree with you. I certainly wouldn't pull out a functional coyote and put in a Godzilla if my goals were 800hp. But again, for those looking for much more....that's when things get interesting.

That is my feelings as well. If I'm serious about building a big motor for drag racing, I'm starting with a Merlin or Dart. I'm not going to invest thousands in a stock block build just to see if I can do it.
Right...but what if there were an engine available for a fraction of the cost that would allow you to use stock ported heads, the stock oiling system and the stock crank? I fully understand this is a giant "what if", but that is precisely what is exciting people. We'll see how Brian's engine build goes, but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts. Keep in mind, to do this reliable in a coyote you need a billet block and engine that shares virtually no parts with a stock coyote.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
COYOTE
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts.
Nothing on that 800 flywheel hp 7.3 is stock except for the block & crank. Nothing.

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Nothing on that 800 flywheel hp 7.3 is stock except for the block & crank. Nothing.
The bottom end might as well be, the only reason it was replaced was because he's pushing the engine to 1800hp. Those results should be achievable on a stock engine with headwork, a cam and an intake. Of course, you can only get it done when the aftermarket starts banging out parts...which according to Brian Wolfe is very soon.

By the way, the engine still has the stock fuel and oiling system.

tokuzumi

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Not sure the stock bottom end of the 7.3 would be happy spinning to 7k+ RPM. The parts were designed to spin at a much lower RPM. I know tolerances are built in to the parts, so spinning stock bottom end to somewhere in the 6K rpm range would be very doable. But over 7500 RPM? Not sure I'd take the chance on stock parts.

I'm sure we'll find out what the RPM limits of the stock 7.3 are in short order.

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Not sure the stock bottom end of the 7.3 would be happy spinning to 7k+ RPM. The parts were designed to spin at a much lower RPM. I know tolerances are built in to the parts, so spinning stock bottom end to somewhere in the 6K rpm range would be very doable. But over 7500 RPM? Not sure I'd take the chance on stock parts.

I'm sure we'll find out what the RPM limits of the stock 7.3 are in short order.
We'll see. I think you're right though, 7500 may be pushing it.

Balr14

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Right...but what if there were an engine available for a fraction of the cost that would allow you to use stock ported heads, the stock oiling system and the stock crank? I fully understand this is a giant "what if", but that is precisely what is exciting people. We'll see how Brian's engine build goes, but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts. Keep in mind, to do this reliable in a coyote you need a billet block and engine that shares virtually no parts with a stock coyote.
I'm not disputing whether it can be done, I just don't know what you would do with it. There's no class I know of in drag racing where it would be competitive. Maybe a bracket racer, but what fun is that?

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm not disputing whether it can be done, I just don't know what you would do with it. There's no class I know of in drag racing where it would be competitive. Maybe a bracket racer, but what fun is that?
I take it you’ve never bracket raced.

Or you could do ultra street 1/8th mile with Brian Wolfe.

Balr14

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I take it you’ve never bracket raced.

Or you could do ultra street 1/8th mile with Brian Wolfe.
I have. 73 Vega with a 454 and Powerglide. 10.90 all day while eating a sandwich. For 1/8th, I'll take something really light with AWD.

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have. 73 Vega with a 454 and Powerglide. 10.90 all day while eating a sandwich. For 1/8th, I'll take something really light with AWD.
That’s all fine and dandy until someone’s grandma with a stock 95 Pontiac grand am tree’s you....or you break out because the temperature dropped 20 degrees in between your runs. A heck of a lot more to bracket racing than that.

Balr14

Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
That’s all fine and dandy until someone’s grandma with a stock 95 Pontiac grand am tree’s you....or you break out because the temperature dropped 20 degrees in between your runs. A heck of a lot more to bracket racing than that.
Agreed. But it doesn't require 1800 horsepower. It just requires a car that can run consistently on it's bracket. Huge horsepower just introduces more variables you can't easily control.

That Vega could run high 9s. But, a 10.90 bracket just provides a margin of error. You just had to watch the accelerometer.

Last edited:

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Agreed. But it doesn't require 1800 horsepower. It just requires a car that can run consistently on it's bracket. Huge horsepower just introduces more variables you can't easily control.
More horsepower does give more ET flexibility. Fuel injection adds flexibility.

Not necessary though, you’re correct. Definitely more fun.

Advertisement

63 - Late Model Restoration - 1

Advertisement