Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
No, never. Ford never has said any such thing. They have also said absolutely zero about the 6.8.

This is all social media based rumor and conjecture. I'll believe it when I see a press release from Ford.
I understand what you're saying, but there is talk about the possibility.

This engine was designed with other intentions in mind.
Sponsored

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Ford Performance is going all-in on the 7.3 and developing a lot of items for it. I can't imagine Ford making a 6.8 for the Mustang which will probably have an aluminum block and be more conducive for performance presumably since it would be going into the Mustang and designed somewhat for performance. Also, it seems like dealers have said that this isn't a thing that will be going into a Mustang which can have some semblance of credibility considering they are given information beforehand during these large dealer meetings & conferences.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Ford Performance is going all-in on the 7.3 and developing a lot of items for it. I can't imagine Ford making a 6.8 for the Mustang which will probably have an aluminum block and be more conducive for performance presumably since it would be going into the Mustang and designed somewhat for performance. Also, it seems like dealers have said that this isn't a thing that will be going into a Mustang which can have some semblance of credibility considering they are given information beforehand during these large dealer meetings & conferences.

According to alex from lund on YouTube, ford won't be putting a pushrod into the mustang. Sounds more like a dual throttle body coyote engine is what he's heard. Guess we will see

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
According to alex from lund on YouTube, ford won't be putting a pushrod into the mustang.
I agree, especially one with a freaking iron block. It'd handle like absolute crap. Even though it's pushrod, that powertrain would probably weigh at least 100 lbs more than the already heavy Coyote IMO.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I agree, especially one with a freaking iron block. It'd handle like absolute crap. Even though it's pushrod, that powertrain would probably weigh at least 100 lbs more than the already heavy Coyote IMO.
It would handle better than a coyote with a blower....same weight but a lower CG. An all aluminum block 7.3L could handle wonderfully....possibly better than a coyote as it too would have a lower CG.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
It would handle better than a coyote with a blower....same weight but a lower CG. An all aluminum block 7.3L could handle wonderfully....possibly better than a coyote as it too would have a lower CG.
Well, the 7.3 is longer than the Coyote, so you would have more weight in front of the front axle. That will impact handling somewhat.

Sponsored

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
I read the first page and was going to comment and then saw 239 pages haha. I'm assuming the OP figured what he wants to do by now. V8 swap or gt500 blower
I was thinking the same exact thing!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think it's already been established that neither of these pushrod engines is going to be built at the plant that has the aluminum casting/machining facilities in place.

I'm not saying an aluminum 7.3 or 6.8 might not be nice, just that what we do know doesn't support that direction for those engines.

Norm

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I mentioned a notchback swap of the 7.3 would be optimal as it is a 3000 lb car...and who really cares about handling in a notchback..Aftermarket k member, elephant ears if you so choose. 2" inch headers full Coilover suspension for adjustability, 6r80 or 10r80 or Tremec magnum xl, ford 9'' rear. Who needs boost with that setup... It would be a great project...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's why I mentioned a notchback swap of the 7.3 would be optimal as it is a 3000 lb car...and who really cares about handling in a notchback..Aftermarket k member, elephant ears if you so choose. 2" inch headers full Coilover suspension for adjustability, 6r80 or 10r80 or Tremec magnum xl, ford 9'' rear. Who needs boost with that setup... It would be a great project...
Now that the Corvette has gone mid-engine (and getting very impressive zero-to-speed times from less than 500 HP), even the straight line guys are going to have to start thinking more carefully about weight distribution. There's only so much you can do in the lower speed ranges by simply throwing more power at it.

Norm

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 Vette Z-51 weighs 3647 lbs without the occupant. 1992 notch 3038 with the original 5.0 add another 250lbs for the 7.3 that's about 3288 lbs without the occupant. subtract the aftermarket k member probably 30lbs under stock so 3258lbs. That's a light car with such a big motor. All you need is 600 wheel to hit the low to mid 9's with that car and it can be driven daily...
Sponsored