Sponsored

Whippled Voodoo build

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
So this past weekend I picked up practically a brand new Voodoo 5.2 engine that had fire damage. All the plastics are gone and it needs some cleaning but appears to be in perfect shape otherwise. I'll disassemble it all anyways to clean it all up, replace valve springs for higher boost, and port and polish the heads. I already have a Whipple 2.9 on my Coyote in my GT as well as a full Fore fuel system and will be running E85 soon.

This engine work will occur this year and I plan to install the engine next winter.

I'd like to shoot for a reliable max of 1000whp with this engine and Whipple in my GT. I have some questions on the engine build:

Will the stock Voodoo block take 1000whp or will it need sleeving(It does have reinforced water jackets)?
Who does quality sleeving if necessary?
Will the Voodoo crank create too much harmonics to hit this power level reliably or will it be better to stick with a cross plane crank?
Who sells a good rod and piston combo for this engine?
Who does porting and polishing on the GT350 heads?
Will the Whipple bolt right up to the GT350 heads or it need modding?

Thanks for all the help in advance!!
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Subbed!

If the gt350 manifolds bolt up to the 5.0, wouldn't the 2.9 bolt up to the 5.2 no problem?

OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subbed!

If the gt350 manifolds bolt up to the 5.0, wouldn't the 2.9 bolt up to the 5.2 no problem?
I'm thinking that it will bolt right up but looking to see if anyone can confirm. Hopefully Whipple can chime in here.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Pistons in these motors are Forged. The rods I believe are a "powder forged" like the Coyotes and thus, not as strong. However I wouldn't be surprised to see it do a grand on the dyno reliably.

I believe your biggest issue will be harmonics. A quality fluid filled balancer and quality flywheel properly balanced to the crankshaft with weight matched rods/pistons will be the difference between the motor destroying itself or lasting.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
So this past weekend I picked up practically a brand new Voodoo 5.2 engine that had fire damage. All the plastics are gone and it needs some cleaning but appears to be in perfect shape otherwise. I'll disassemble it all anyways to clean it all up, replace valve springs for higher boost, and port and polish the heads. I already have a Whipple 2.9 on my Coyote in my GT as well as a full Fore fuel system and will be running E85 soon.

This engine work will occur this year and I plan to install the engine next winter.

I'd like to shoot for a reliable max of 1000whp with this engine and Whipple in my GT. I have some questions on the engine build:

Will the stock Voodoo block take 1000whp or will it need sleeving(It does have reinforced water jackets)?
Who does quality sleeving if necessary?
Will the Voodoo crank create too much harmonics to hit this power level reliably or will it be better to stick with a cross plane crank?
Who sells a good rod and piston combo for this engine?
Who does porting and polishing on the GT350 heads?
Will the Whipple bolt right up to the GT350 heads or it need modding?

Thanks for all the help in advance!!
Depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want to put a blower/turbo on it and park it in the garage or trailer it to car shows there are several GT350 examples out there you can follow. If you intend to do anything else that a 1000whp Voodoo may seem necessary for, like accelerating quickly for instance, nobody really knows the answer to most of the questions you asked. Aside from who will take your money for parts or services. Go look around at all the Forced Induction GT350s out there and try to find some hard data besides a couple of dyno pulls. Nobody knows what the stock motor is capable of. Nobody knows what the stock cylinder bores can handle with upgraded internals. You would be heading into uncharted territory.

Sponsored

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Sorry but i have to say this.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sell the whipple and put ITBs (individual throttle body) setup on that voodoo engine!!

There are LOTS of whipple setups running around but ZERO itb'd voodoos that i know of anyways!

It should easily make over 600 whp with ported heads headers and the itb setup.

Sure the whipple will make more but it wont compare to the instant response and rpm band of that itb/voodoo setup!

OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want to put a blower/turbo on it and park it in the garage or trailer it to car shows there are several GT350 examples out there you can follow. If you intend to do anything else that a 1000whp Voodoo may seem necessary for, like accelerating quickly for instance, nobody really knows the answer to most of the questions you asked. Aside from who will take your money for parts or services. Go look around at all the Forced Induction GT350s out there and try to find some hard data besides a couple of dyno pulls. Nobody knows what the stock motor is capable of. Nobody knows what the stock cylinder bores can handle with upgraded internals. You would be heading into uncharted territory.
I agree that Gt350 builds are very rare. I've seen the Lethal build at 819rwhp but plan to push it quite a bit further and there was a turbo build over 1000rwhp but that was with a fully sleeved block.
My car will be used mainly for street usage but with occasional drag and some road track use as well.

At this point I've figured that I could spend all the money on ported heads and upgraded internals but if I were to skimp on a sleeved block it may be all money thrown away if I decide to add a lovely window to the block. Perhaps it would simply be cheapish insurance to sleeve the block and be done with it.

Pistons in these motors are Forged. The rods I believe are a "powder forged" like the Coyotes and thus, not as strong. However I wouldn't be surprised to see it do a grand on the dyno reliably.

I believe your biggest issue will be harmonics. A quality fluid filled balancer and quality flywheel properly balanced to the crankshaft with weight matched rods/pistons will be the difference between the motor destroying itself or lasting.
Since these engines are also internally balanced I should be able to use my current ATI damper and I will be putting in a lightened Mcleod flywheel with an RXT clutch at that time. I hope that these will be adequate in order to quell the harmonics of the crank well enough. I doubt I will need to wind it above 8K at that point.

OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry but i have to say this.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sell the whipple and put ITBs (individual throttle body) setup on that voodoo engine!!

There are LOTS of whipple setups running around but ZERO itb'd voodoos that i know of anyways!

It should easily make over 600 whp with ported heads headers and the itb setup.

Sure the whipple will make more but it wont compare to the instant response and rpm band of that itb/voodoo setup!
That does sound like a super fun project but for me personally since I'm already used to 700+ hp with the Whipple it would be like stepping back to a Hyundai to take a drop in powa! :headbonk:

Maybe a bit overdramatic but I just want more power now and would love to let that GT350 sing in my measly GT.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Did this ever happen ?

OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did this ever happen ?
I ended up selling the 5.2 to a buddy that is planning to drop it into a notch fox.body. He's not sure if he will be going whipple or a centri just yet but it should be done next year. Its been pretty slow going so far. Lol
Sponsored