Driveshaft for Whippled 2018?

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
As I anxiously await my 3.0 Whipple to ship, I'm debating about whether or not I should upgrade my stock driveshaft, or simply do a safety loop? The car will be used mainly for street purposes, with a trip the dragstrip every once in a blue moon. It will be used on the street probably 90% of the time. I was curious what you all might think about upgrading the driveshaft to aluminum or carbon fiber? I have it in the budget, but just not sure if it is overkill or not. Any thoughts from more experienced FI people would be appreciated.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Well the stock driveshaft appears to be a pretty stout unit. For me it was one of the most noticeable mods I made both when NA and the change to CF after being boosted. If my memory serves me the stock unit is 31 lbs, Aluminum one piece is 18lbs and CF is a few light than that...all weight reduction on the rotating mass. Also it took a lot of the slop out of the drive train and car felt more responsive.

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
Well the stock driveshaft appears to be a pretty stout unit. For me it was one of the most noticeable mods I made both when NA and the change to CF after being boosted. If my memory serves me the stock unit is 31 lbs, Aluminum one piece is 18lbs and CF is a few light than that...all weight reduction on the rotating mass. Also it took a lot of the slop out of the drive train and car felt more responsive.
Appreciate your input. Decisions, decisions. Real world problems I guess :)

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I went with a DSS CF unit to help get rid of some of the inherent vibration in the driveline.

It was a very noticeable difference in "how light the car feels" and did quiet the driveline down quite a bit.

Happy I went with the CF.

I daily drive my car, snow and all.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
If you haven't upgraded the axles yet, I would definitely look towards upgrade that part of the driveline first if that hasn't been done yet, especially when going with boost.

The driveshaft wouldn't be absolutely necessary in this case, just a nice upgrade that will cut down on rotating mass, giving the car snappier responsiveness.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
I went with a DSS CF unit to help get rid of some of the inherent vibration in the driveline.

It was a very noticeable difference in "how light the car feels" and did quiet the driveline down quite a bit.

Happy I went with the CF.

I daily drive my car, snow and all.
Great! I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on it. Thanks

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
If you haven't upgraded the axles yet, I would definitely look towards upgrade that part of the driveline first if that hasn't been done yet, especially when going with boost.

The driveshaft wouldn't be absolutely necessary in this case, just a nice upgrade that will cut down on rotating mass, giving the car snappier responsiveness.
Hi Sean, I'm am doing upgraded half shafts, OPG's/CS, as well as a rear suspension lock out kit. I am on the fence about the driveshaft, but am leaning towards doing it. Might as well huh?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have yet to see anyone break a driveshaft on a street car, but it is a little more likely to happen on the track.

Either way I have seen the damage it can do if it breaks, so I got a driveshaft safety loop even though mine is 100% street. $100 for peace of mind without spending $800+ on a driveshaft that probably wont break sounds good to me.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have yet to see anyone break a driveshaft on a street car, but it is a little more likely to happen on the track.

Either way I have seen the damage it can do if it breaks, so I got a driveshaft safety loop even though mine is 100% street. $100 for peace of mind without spending $800+ on a driveshaft that probably wont break sounds good to me.
Ever see anyone break S550 axle shafts on a street car? I’ve got 11k miles on mine with lots and lots of street pulls and seems to be fine. Course I’ve only got about 500 miles on the new tires that actually grab. Man it’s unbelievale the traction I’m getting compared to the factory a/t tires. Now I’m actually worried about breaking stuff.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
After breaking our drivers side halfshaft with just drag radials we ended up going with the DSS 2000hp series axles and their CF driveshaft. Since then we've beaten on the car with peace of mind.

If you're going to do the axles you might as well do the driveshaft and loop while you're at it especially on a Whipple setup.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Always make sure to check the driveshaft by shaking it before installation.

[ame]

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Ever see anyone break S550 axle shafts on a street car? I’ve got 11k miles on mine with lots and lots of street pulls and seems to be fine. Course I’ve only got about 500 miles on the new tires that actually grab. Man it’s unbelievale the traction I’m getting compared to the factory a/t tires. Now I’m actually worried about breaking stuff.
I think I have read of it happening once or twice on street tires, but it's very uncommon. You usually need drag radials to start breaking them.

I'm over 700whp on MPSS and at 37k miles. I beat the shit out of it, havent broken an axle yet.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think I have read of it happening once or twice on street tires, but it's very uncommon. You usually need drag radials to start breaking them.

I'm over 700whp on MPSS and at 37k miles. I beat the shit out of it, havent broken an axle yet.
Thanks, good to hear. (I might have asked you the same question before). I’m about 100whp less than you, but I also beat on it good. I’m waiting to see just how “bad” the factory clutch really is now that I can launch a lot faster with summer tires.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels

Drag radials are my street tires lol.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase