Whipple cylinder head temps

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Before the Whipple I had the Reische installed with Lund tune and my CHT never went over 200. My Stage 2 kit came with a 160 degree TS that I swapped in because I didn't want to do anything that would throw the tune off. I feel like I should have kept the Reische in because my CHTs now hit 215-220 sitting idle. Not sure if that's from the TS or the tune not turning the fans on earlier. Is it normal for the CHT to be this high? The car definitely does not feel fast so I'm starting my troubleshooting here.

Thanks
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sitting idle I am never that high. You check for air in the system?

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I didn't use the Whipple thermostat I kept my reische. My temp don't go over 192

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have the Reische with my Whipple stage 2 and my CH temps stay around 185 -190 driving and between 195 and 205 in city driving 95 f ambient temp.

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Sitting idle I am never that high. You check for air in the system?
I've let it idle with the cap off for several minutes a couple of different times to let any air out. At least now I know that I should be lower so I can start looking into it.

Sponsored

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
Reinstall the Reische, temps will drop.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I've let it idle with the cap off for several minutes a couple of different times to let any air out. At least now I know that I should be lower so I can start looking into it.
Yea!!!!,and im still waiting for my ride lol.Jk i know u have some things to work out,i would put the 170 back in.

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Yea!!!!,and im still waiting for my ride lol.Jk i know u have some things to work out,i would put the 170 back in.
Yeah there is something wrong. Guess I'll be working on it this weekend.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Reische will drop CHT about 10-15 deg F on average.

Fans are on much earlier than stock, but not as low as some think they should be. The reason, they transfer all the heat to the engine, SC and everything else in there.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Seems to always work for me:
Steep incline to start the motor cold with reservoir open and AC set on full heat.
Squeeze the upper hose both hot with tstat partial open and again cold until you feel no air.
Basically
step 1, get air out of block/heater hoses/heater core and trapped in outside coolant loop which is radiator and rad hoses (this is outside of tstat when cold).
step 2, get air from outer loop into coolant reservoir.

Your temps sound same as mine. I switched from Reische 170 back to Whipple 160 for a road trip to Houston and back to Austin couple weeks back and had to constantly back off when quickly hitting 240 CHT. Put Reische 170 back in and got about 10-15 lower again.

Thinking about pulling all the coping at back of hood and cutting windows in the hump between the windshield spray nozzles. Underhood ventilation sux stock....

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Seems to always work for me:
Steep incline to start the motor cold with reservoir open and AC set on full heat.
Squeeze the upper hose both hot with tstat partial open and again cold until you feel no air.
Basically
step 1, get air out of block/heater hoses/heater core and trapped in outside coolant loop which is radiator and rad hoses (this is outside of tstat when cold).
step 2, get air from outer loop into coolant reservoir.

Your temps sound same as mine. I switched from Reische 170 back to Whipple 160 for a road trip to Houston and back to Austin couple weeks back and had to constantly back off when quickly hitting 240 CHT. Put Reische 170 back in and got about 10-15 lower again.

Thinking about pulling all the coping at back of hood and cutting windows in the hump between the windshield spray nozzles. Underhood ventilation sux stock....
I didn't even think of turning the heat on to make sure the heater core is filled.

Thanks
Sponsored