Cylinder Head Question

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm in the process of a new build. FFRE is building me a gen 2 short block and I'm having them install the 12mm head studs. This might sound like a stupid question but will the gen 2 heads work once the head bolts size is increased? I know the gen 2 has smaller head bolts.

I can find gen 1 heads readily available, should I just grab a set of used Gen 1s and have them cleaned up? I know the gen 2 has larger valves and stock vs. stock is far better buy I'm adding new valves, springs and cams. Am I good grabbing the gen 1s for my 2015?
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Thanks man
Unless you are porting the heads you are going to want the gen2 heads. Did you get the valve guides changed to bronze/copper guides? What valves are you thinking about?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have not made it that far along in the process. I'm just trying to source a set of used heads right now so I can keep mine intact. I'm going turbo so the kit comes with new headers.. There's just a big price difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2s.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I have not made it that far along in the process. I'm just trying to source a set of used heads right now so I can keep mine intact. I'm going turbo so the kit comes with new headers.. There's just a big price difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2s.
I think Jackson meant unless you planned to port the HEADS, stay with gen2 heads.

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I plan on porting them for sure, which is why I was curious about the Gen 1s. There's not much difference in valving sizes between the 2. I guess I'll start calling some head shops in the A.M.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I plan on porting them for sure, which is why I was curious about the Gen 1s. There's not much difference in valving sizes between the 2. I guess I'll start calling some head shops in the A.M.
Do you plan on doing aftermarket valves? If so and you simply want another set to work on in the meantime you can do the gen1 set. If you dont plan on doing valves, run the gen2. You will be $4k in a set of heads being ported, Ferrea valves, guides, seats, seals and valve springs. Not including the price of the heads. Titanium retainers would be extra as well.

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Do you plan on doing aftermarket valves? If so and you simply want another set to work on in the meantime you can do the gen1 set. If you dont plan on doing valves, run the gen2. You will be $4k in a set of heads being ported, Ferrea valves, guides, seats, seals and valve springs. Not including the price of the heads. Titanium retainers would be extra as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I want something that flows as good as or better than the Gen 2s. Reason I'm asking about the gen 1s is there's a loaded set on ebay right now for $999. I plan on porting and getting new valves, etc... either way. Im so damn excited to get this build going.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I did mean heads sorry. If you port a set of gen1 heads with valves they will out flow stock gen2 heads. If you do all the same work ( port, valves, springs, retainers ) to gen2 or gen1 they will flow the same. so you can use gen1 heads if they are easier to come by.
Sponsored