Head temps when idle

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
Mine is a 2022 PP1 with a stage 2 whipple . My CHT has always ran on the high side especially in warm hot weather . I live In Austin Texas and during rush hour I have hit 234 in stop and go traffic .This was even before the whipple install. On the hwy its usually 195 to 210 depending on how hot it is. My coolant temp gauge never goes over half way though and other than loosing some HP due to the hot intake air, its runs perfectly fine.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The T stat has very little to do with peak temps after a certain point, just how quickly the system opens to the radiator.

If a car is going to run 190F with the system open, it's going to do it with a 160, 170 or even a 180 Tstat, it'll just take longer for the Tstat to pop and open up to the full system.

CHT at idle is mainly about the fan logic. You can ask your tuner to change the fan logic to keep them on high setting either all the time or more often.

Below the Tstat setting, it will make a difference (meaning if it can reach 160 open, it might run at 170 closed and bounce around that temp set point). Once you exceed it, the Tstat is nothing more than ensuring it doesn't take your car a long time to get up to steady state temp.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
In a properly designed cooling system the t stat will open and close keeping a steady temp. Just like the T stat in your house.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
In a properly designed cooling system the t stat will open and close keeping a steady temp. Just like the T stat in your house.
The stock GT350 Tstat is 190.

Swapping to the 170 only opens it up sooner and delays it from getting to 190. The radiator and cooling exchange has to exceed the T stat otherwise it won't ever get to modulation, it'll just open once and the temps will always exceed it, going up and down based upon load/soak.

Of course it gets much more complicated when you consider cruising vs track use vs sitting at a stop light. Each scenario, the load vs cooling capability changes.
Sponsored