nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
If you asked me about 90's chevy pickups, Id say
- lower rear cab corners
- rear box sides over rear wheel arch

My 2015 s550 trunk lid rusted at the seam where the outer lid skin wrapped around and meets the inner skin.
With the trunk open ... its the bottom seam (or forward edge of lid closed). nearly the whole width. Caught it this summer and wire-brushed the loose paint off, sanded roughly, and repainted the area (guard is a close ringer to Tremclad charleston green). Couldnt tell after.

Also had the front side edges of hood paint bubbling, but as an aluminum, hood ... likely not rust per se.

Since I have a newer s550 now, I was planning on applying rustcheck to prone areas as a preventive if there's any feedback from owners.
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
- lower rear cab corners

My 2015 s550 trunk lid rusted at the seam where the outer lid skin wrapped around and meets the inner skin.
With the trunk open ... its the bottom seam (or forward edge of lid closed). nearly the whole width. Caught it this summer and wire-brushed the loose paint off, sanded roughly, and repainted the area (guard is a close ringer to Tremclad charleston green). Couldnt tell after.

Also had the front side edges of hood paint bubbling, but as an aluminum, hood ... likely not rust per se.

Since I have a newer s550 now, I was planning on applying rustcheck to prone areas as a preventive if there's any feedback from owners.
We don't worry about rust proofing this far south. Factory rustproofing is plenty. It's a snow belt thing.

I did notice my bumper support beams starting to surface rust in the seams when I had my nose off. I sprayed it down with grey self etching primer before re-installing the nose. I have seen this multiple times watching youtubers working on their 'stangs.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
1980s FIAT Panda, after 5 years it returned to dust, gone.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
im in the rust belt, but I havnt had any issues with rust on my cheap Toyota. but I have that ziebart undercoating on it, whether or not theres actually rust up under the coating is to never be known. but the salt here is No joke in ohio. ive been hit by dozens of salt trucks, my car looks like a margarita when they are pouring brine on the roads and then hit with salt. legit looks like a crystalized car. ive never done anything except go through a car wash few times a year.

and some cars, every piece of body paint panels are completely deteriorated, all the clear is gone and just rust eaten. I guess the brine juice (I heard its beet juice and stuff) is so awful for the paintjobs. but it sure does a good job clearing the roads.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
im in the rust belt, but I havnt had any issues with rust on my cheap Toyota. but I have that ziebart undercoating on it, whether or not theres actually rust up under the coating is to never be known. but the salt here is No joke in ohio. ive been hit by dozens of salt trucks, my car looks like a margarita when they are pouring brine on the roads and then hit with salt. legit looks like a crystalized car. ive never done anything except go through a car wash few times a year.

and some cars, every piece of body paint panels are completely deteriorated, all the clear is gone and just rust eaten. I guess the brine juice (I heard its beet juice and stuff) is so awful for the paintjobs. but it sure does a good job clearing the roads.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Theres no text with the above quote.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hood edges, I am awaiting my hood replacement under warranty and check the rear window channels near the corners by seam sealer. I have a 1/8" dia rust spot there that's in for warranty approval. Fyi, the sealer was cracked and that may have contributed to this. Glass will have to be pulled to fix. 2017 car has under 20,000km. Car is rust proofed and completely clean underneath, always clean on top but is not garaged. I didn't expect the rust spot.

Last edited:

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
- lower rear cab corners

No rust here - I got the Truecoat!
trucoat.jpeg

Reactions: Ock

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the front and rear window channels.

There's been many reports on this site with images showing rust starting in these channels at the top corners where the seam sealer application was poor and/or there are cracks in it, allowing water penetration.

The S550 hood issue isn't an initial "rust" issue so to speak, it's a poor prepped surface where a chemical bonding issue is causing the bubbling or aluminum oxide bubbles under the paint. IF there was cracks or chips in the paint in those areas, yes water penetration is possible. But the main cause of the hood bubbling is the reaction caused by poor aluminum prep.

Chassis rust can occur in regions where roads are salted during winter months OR the vehicle is parked/stored outdoors in a geographic location near salt water (oceans/bays). Moisture in the air coming off the ocean or bays carries salt crystals and gets deposited on surfaces.

Chassis rust can also occur if the vehicle is stored on or over grass, dirt or even a loose stone driveway (or under open air carport with same surfaces).

If the car is stored outdoors in the above noted scenarios, the car should be started and driven at least 1x a week to dry off any sitting/standing moisture.

Also covering a car over grass, dirt or rocks only expedites rusting as well and can produce mild/mildew within the passenger compartment through any number of air gaps in seam sealers, body plugs, etc.
Sponsored