RUST!!!!!!

greengoblinmach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG Mach 1
So it really boils down to Ford just not knowing how to make a hood/bonnet w/o corrosion? I find it interesting that other panels aren’t affected..
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just wait until all these F-150's start getting the same issue. As many trucks as ford builds yearly, you know there are similar issues out there. They have been entirely aluminum since 2015.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Just wait until all these F-150's start getting the same issue. As many trucks as ford builds yearly, you know there are similar issues out there. They have been entirely aluminum since 2015.
Hello; back in the 1960's my father bought a used Oldsmobile. A 1963 Cutlass F-85 Jetaire Jetfire. Had an all aluminum 215 V-8 with a turbo. The engine in that car threw a rod and my father eventually wrecked it.
Skip ahead to 1985. I bought a survivor 1963 Oldsmobile Cutlass F-85. Had a 215 all aluminum V-8 but with a four barrel carburetor. I fixed it up. Went to many salvage yards buying Olds and Buick 215 engines. One of the problems was erosion of the coolant passages. I put together a good engine and may have had parts to build another.
Lots of aluminum engines and heads around now days so clearly solutions have been found. Same for turbos with engine oil running thru the turbo bearings likely being the greater fix.

Aluminum car bodies have been around for some time as well. There has to be solutions.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
I believe the issue with hoods isn’t the fact that it is aluminum but that the construction is a LAMINATION, so a prepped and painted body panel may survive time while the laminated construction of the hood defies longevity.

If you have bubbling or chipped leading edge of a black vehicle get an AVS Aeroskin smoked protector, remove the brite name badge, it will look like the original hood again!

Top: chipped/bubbling
Bottom: Aeroskin protector installed
Center: close-up of name badge to remove (optionally)
BDB834D5-74E4-49AA-807C-6583B313752B.jpeg
73AC6922-AF7F-4129-8753-A0C5FABFDC58.jpeg
179B1153-76BA-4864-A714-DA13075B3C83.jpeg

Last edited:

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I have a '16 Police Utility that also has the edge of hood corrosion. The paint has yet to break. By the time I bought it, the warranty was long over. Apparently, Ford has a problem with avoiding contamination while the hoods are being made with steel particles...whihc eventually causes the corrosion. Hoping my GT doesn't develop the issue.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Hello; Two things about aluminum. One is its does not oxidize (rust) the same way iron or steel will. Bare aluminum forms a layer of oxidation (rust) on the outer surface that seals the metal. Once that oxidation layer is formed the rusting stops. I have an aluminum boat in bare metal. Owned since 1987 with no rust.

Second thing is a thing called dissimilar metal corrosion. When two different metals touch there is movement of electrons. One of the touching metals will corrode faster than the other. Trying to think of the name, galvanic corrosion maybe. An example is the zinc rod inside new water heater. The zinc rod will corrode first saving the tank liner. Zinc is used on boat motors to save the motor metal.
I do not know how Ford fastens the aluminum hood. But I am guessing some sort of way to keep the different metals from touching may be used.
Actually most water heaters (in the US anyway) use either a magnesium or aluminum anode rod. Magnesium is most common because you can drink the water safely while aluminum is not safe for you to consume (so I read somewhere). Magnesium anode rods also do a better job as a sacrificial anode to protect the steel water heater tank.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
What's strange is my neighbor has had 2 F-150's with all aluminum bodies and NO CORROSION....so my question would be WHY can aluminum F-150's be OK and our hoods be a problem??:angry:

Sounds like bimetallic contamination during manufacturing to me??:facepalm:

OP
OP
PLAYTYM

PLAYTYM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - velocity blue
The main take away from all this is IF you do find this rust/corrosion…..get onto ford and don’t let up until they replace the part!
I am fortunate that the ford dealer I go to has been very good with communication and any request I make.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Actually most water heaters (in the US anyway) use either a magnesium or aluminum anode rod. Magnesium is most common because you can drink the water safely while aluminum is not safe for you to consume (so I read somewhere). Magnesium anode rods also do a better job as a sacrificial anode to protect the steel water heater tank.
Hello; Thank you. I was wrong. Good information.
Sponsored