Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
thats aluminum corrosion and its a well known problem going back to like 2011. it sucks, but it should be covered under your body/corrosion warranty
Had it on my 06 GT long known issue
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Yup hence why Ford replaced it with a new one
Glad they took care of you. Weird how it affects some and not others. Great color! Must get a lot of attention over there.

OP
OP
PLAYTYM

PLAYTYM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - velocity blue
Glad they took care of you. Weird how it affects some and not others. Great color! Must get a lot of attention over there.
Wasnā€™t my first choice but itā€™s grown on meā€¦..Gets lots of comments šŸ˜Š

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Two things about aluminum. One is its does not oxidize (rust) the same way iron or steel will. Bare aluminum forms a layer of oxidation (rust) on the outer surface that seals the metal. Once that oxidation layer is formed the rusting stops. I have an aluminum boat in bare metal. Owned since 1987 with no rust.

Second thing is a thing called dissimilar metal corrosion. When two different metals touch there is movement of electrons. One of the touching metals will corrode faster than the other. Trying to think of the name, galvanic corrosion maybe. An example is the zinc rod inside new water heater. The zinc rod will corrode first saving the tank liner. Zinc is used on boat motors to save the motor metal.
I do not know how Ford fastens the aluminum hood. But I am guessing some sort of way to keep the different metals from touching may be used.

OP
OP
PLAYTYM

PLAYTYM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Two things about aluminum. One is its does not oxidize (rust) the same way iron or steel will. Bare aluminum forms a layer of oxidation (rust) on the outer surface that seals the metal. Once that oxidation layer is formed the rusting stops. I have an aluminum boat in bare metal. Owned since 1987 with no rust.

Second thing is a thing called dissimilar metal corrosion. When two different metals touch there is movement of electrons. One of the touching metals will corrode faster than the other. Trying to think of the name, galvanic corrosion maybe. An example is the zinc rod inside new water heater. The zinc rod will corrode first saving the tank liner. Zinc is used on boat motors to save the motor metal.
I do not know how Ford fastens the aluminum hood. But I am guessing some sort of way to keep the different metals from touching may be used.
In any event itā€™s a defect and needs to replaced under warranty

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Light oil that will ow to the seams , shut hood. In a week clean off any that flowed though the seam .

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible

MROCGUY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
make sure you're not near alec baldwin during RUST

munizfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My 2017 developed that, and even though it was out warranty, I found a TSB here that the dealership accepted (they were fighting hard to not work on it)

OP
OP
PLAYTYM

PLAYTYM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
My 2017 developed that, and even though it was out warranty, I found a TSB here that the dealership accepted (they were fighting hard to not work on it)
TSB??

Sponsored

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Filiform corrosion is a known problem on these hoods and I'm glad that Ford took care of it for you.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
under warranty replacement or TSB has it been stated that the replacement is ā€˜betterā€™ or is the clock simply being reset for a repeat of the same? I would venture to guess that more Mustangs are ā€˜keepersā€™ than not, being held-onto well beyond a handful of yearsā€¦

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

Here's a link to TSB's....
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/

Mn129

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350. 88 foxbody coupe
It's not rust it's "corrosion" since the hood is aluminum. Bought a 8k Mile gt350 last October and noticed it a couple days after it bought it. I'm was sick to my stomach. Brought it to my dealer and waiting on ford now for their response . The car is parked during the winter and now it's starting in two other spots several inches away from the e original spot

image.jpg
Sponsored