Sponsored

When will 2018 allocations be assigned? R allocations?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
That is a bit misleading and you know it, it is not like they were making cars for that entire period. As long as they have the parts on hand they can pump out quick a few in a relatively short period of time.
Why is it misleading?

It is going to take Flat Rock 16 months to build ~900 R models for the 2017MY regardless of the winter shut down and based on your scenario the winter shut down will also come into play for the 2018MY as well unless Ford plans to build 900 R's in the first 8 months of production and I don't see that happening.

If Ford plans on producing a similar number of R models for the 2018MY as in 2017 are you suggesting with them starting production in ~March 2018 that Flat Rock will they build R's until July 2019?

I would think not especially with all of the retooling that has to take place for the refresh of the 2018 Mustangs let alone continued production of the 2018 Lincoln Continental being built at FR as well.

Why is Ford taking so long ( 16 months) to build ~900 R models for the 2017MY? Very simple as some of their suppliers cannot keep up with supplying unique parts such as CF wheels and wings therefore a very slow process.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You are entitled to think that. The R is only marginally more complicated to build than a standard mustang which FRAP can pump out at a high rate. As long as the parts are there they can build them quickly and its not at all unreasonable to think suppliers can increase production rate now that we are going into a 3rd full year of production, even for the fancy CF tidbits. Adding additional tooling or more labor to meet higher demand than originally anticipated is not at all uncommon.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You are entitled to think that. The R is only marginally more complicated to build than a standard mustang which FRAP can pump out at a high rate. As long as the parts are there they can build them quickly and its not at all unreasonable to think suppliers can increase production rate now that we are going into a 3rd full year of production, even for the fancy CF tidbits. Adding additional tooling or more labor to meet higher demand than originally anticipated is not at all uncommon.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the long run?

If the Mod Shop gets involved with a new 2019 GT500 it will be interesting to see which model gets priority?

:cheers:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Of course within reason, but they have clearly exceeded 500 this year (over 700) and will likely keep going into September so obviously there is more capacity. If they can do 900+ this year, there is no reason to think they cant repeat that again.
My R is due to be built second week of September, production ends not far after that and the same member of management that secured that allocation stated no R's would be built until next year. I am with PP0001 on this one just from what information I've been given from sources higher than my dealer.

Sponsored

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333
With all due respect just because you had a frustrating experience purchasing an R model or a GT350 for that matter doesn't mean that everyone else will.

As far as an R falling into someone's lap, not sure what your definition of that is but can tell you that continual and persistent communication with numerous dealerships pays off at least it has for myself and many of my car buddies on this forum.

:cheers:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88054

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^^^^^^^ To be accurate and fair, thats only half the story.

Below is the other half. 96Cobra was #1 on this deal, instead he passed. So I'm not sure where you were going with the above link.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87936
I've had 3 deals at cheaper prices, one was $2K cheaper but early on and bad timing for me, another $2K cheaper with a ridiculous non-refundable deposit, and another $4K cheaper that was pulled.

Someone who had 3 posts jumped in and wanted that deal.. I would argue that I'm much more active with the GT350 community both on the forums and locally and not just ready to jump on a deal because it's there. According to dealers, guys with big money are just buying these all day long at $20K over, right? But a lot here didn't even pay close to that (and wouldn't).

So yeah, I think I can do better and know a few people that have done better. This was very gracious of Tom, and I appreciate it, but I need something better in order to make this work for me or I can't do it.

I also have a Gen1 Raptor and will be upgrading next year, so the dealer that makes me a deal on my R will also get a Raptor sale and my business going forward, so this isn't just a "grab your R and run" deal also.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's ok Eric. It's no sweat. The op was making a point of half the story based upon a post and I was just pointing out the rest of it.

You are going to find an R. I know because you are that type of guy who really wants one and is working his ass off to get it. You will land on your feet.

The op was trying to make a point out of context and I was simply setting the record straight. Harry, [MENTION=16421]PP0001[/MENTION], is a friend of mine. If someone takes a shot across his bow, I'm gonna say something about it. So there you have it. All the best, and again, for the umteenth time, best of luck in your search.

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
I've had 3 deals at cheaper prices, one was $2K cheaper but early on and bad timing for me, another $2K cheaper with a ridiculous non-refundable deposit, and another $4K cheaper that was pulled.

Someone who had 3 posts jumped in and wanted that deal.. I would argue that I'm much more active with the GT350 community both on the forums and locally and not just ready to jump on a deal because it's there. According to dealers, guys with big money are just buying these all day long at $20K over, right? But a lot here didn't even pay close to that (and wouldn't).

So yeah, I think I can do better and know a few people that have done better. This was very gracious of Tom, and I appreciate it, but I need something better in order to make this work for me or I can't do it.

I also have a Gen1 Raptor and will be upgrading next year, so the dealer that makes me a deal on my R will also get a Raptor sale and my business going forward, so this isn't just a "grab your R and run" deal also.
I did better than $7K and everyone I know also did, I give you credit for not just jumping in on a deal because it's there.

You could buy one at $7K over right now on an in-stock unit!! And your trade would be worth much more at this moment then in the year it's going to take to get your car to get built! Cars are sitting at dealers at $10K over and I think you're smart to look for something better than ordering, waiting a year, and paying $7K. The GT500 is right around the corner also and this is the 4th model year of this car (2015-2018).

I'm going to start looking for you also, and good for you for not just settling.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I did better than $7K and everyone I know also did, I give you credit for not just jumping in on a deal because it's there.

You could buy one at $7K over right now on an in-stock unit!! And your trade would be worth much more at this moment then in the year it's going to take to get your car to get built! Cars are sitting at dealers at $10K over and I think you're smart to look for something better than ordering, waiting a year, and paying $7K. The GT500 is right around the corner also and this is the 4th model year of this car (2015-2018).

I'm going to start looking for you also, and good for you for not just settling.
Yea, we're not settlers!

[ame]

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333
To 96 Cobra, I only wish you the best of luck in your search of an "R" model. I was only emphasizing the ups and downs of the search for the above. I too have been through the wringer. There was a guy on here 2 years ago who had an order for an "R" and sold his 1965 289 fastback "K code" to fund his purchase and make room for his newly ordered "R" only to find out that the dealer didn't have the allocation promised. That is true heartbreak. Seems like some owners here are tight with Ford and get the allocations easily. That is what I was referring to, not your misfortune. In my mind, Ford has truly messed up with this model in the way that there is no good outcome for most. Good luck in your search.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
^^^^^ I was wondering when that would finally be leaked. I promised to keep that to myself, no now I guess we can all talk about it.

MY18 job 1 in October. I suspect early allocation orders will probably get built and shipped asap. That is what I was emphasising about grabbing an allocation asap. The allocation that I put forward was first in line. I suspect that will be built in the first round depending on picks from the rep of course. I had asked about another allocation at the same price for another member. The next day, my salesman got hold of me and said someone walked in and put 10k down on a 20k adm deal. I was told there would be no more 7k deals. I suspect that this doucument may have had something to do with it. Short model year could be a product of the end of the 350 or maybe an extra long MY17 production. I think maybe someone had the perception of the music stopping and wanted to have a seat with a refundable deposit. I tried to place a wager with my salesman that the deal will never happen in a year when the car is delivered. He wouldn't take that bet.

Anyway, all just speculation.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^Yeah and eventually word/news would spread anyway plus year after year this type of announcement isn't top secret... if anything transparency is important from the getgo so that shoppers/buyers know what they're really facing.

And limiting the entire GT350 production let alone the R ensures desirability + lower production numbers now... and I bet, unfortunately, for the R models continuing markups....
Sponsored