Wheel torque question

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I know the owner's manual specifies 150 ft/lbs for the wheel torque, but I wonder if Ford changed the studs so they're harder steel? I'm asking because the size of the stud is essentially what earlier cars and F-150 used where the F-150 was torqued to 100 ft/lbs. The thicker diameter studs used on the 250 and up were at 150 ft/lbs. I'm questioning it for 2 reasons; my wheels were torqued to only 120 ft/lbs as it came from the factory and I'm not confident that these skinny studs can handle 150 ft/lbs since the size of the studs were increased when the truck torque went up to 150 ft/lbs (not to mention they had 6 studs instead of 5). Just curious what your thoughts are. BTW, I replaced all of my wheel nuts with the one-piece solid nuts instead of using the cheapy thin metal cap on the base nuts (I've had so much trouble with those cheap nuts that I came across on so many cars beginning with Chrysler products years ago).
Sponsored

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The studs on the 15 and up
Mustang aren’t skinny they are 14mm. 2004 and up F150s torque is also 150 and also 14mm studs. The number of studs doesn’t change what a studs ideal torque is. Older mustangs used 12mm studs.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I see this a lot on here, and I don't get it. The book says 150ft/lbs, so why would they lie to you? They made the damn thing. Lol. If you do 150ft/lbs and manage to break a stud, make sure to report back. But I have a strong suspicion you never will.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I was also surprised at the torque value but a quick check confirmed that it was the correct value

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you look up the book torque value for a bolt of that size, its 148ft/lbs. Completely normal.

Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I see this a lot on here, and I don't get it. The book says 150ft/lbs, so why would they lie to you? They made the damn thing. Lol. If you do 150ft/lbs and manage to break a stud, make sure to report back. But I have a strong suspicion you never will.
I broke a stud on my bolt-on spacer when torquing the lug nut down. But that's not gonna stop me from doing 150ft/lbs.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If you look up the book torque value for a bolt of that size, its 148ft/lbs. Completely normal.
The size is only one (1) thing that dictates max torque, the others are: (2) grade or class, i.e. grade 5/grade 8 or class 8.8/class 10.9... different metallurgy, and (3) material selection, aluminum, steel, etc.

OP
OP
Garfy

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I broke a stud on my bolt-on spacer when torquing the lug nut down. But that's not gonna stop me from doing 150ft/lbs.
I think the spacer stud might have been different than the OEM stock stud. I looked into more detail and found that indeed the F-150 is using the same diameter stud so despite my car having been torqued from the factory at only 120, I decided to torque them up to the 150 spec and it did so just fine; didn't feel at all like it was getting "near the edge" so all is fine. I guess they upped the specs and the wheel mounting hardware to be sure all that power wouldn't overwhelm the mounting of the wheels. Since a lot of guys have modded their cars to 700+ HP and they haven't had any issues with the wheels that should put me at peace with my stock model.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I think the spacer stud might have been different than the OEM stock stud. I looked into more detail and found that indeed the F-150 is using the same diameter stud so despite my car having been torqued from the factory at only 120, I decided to torque them up to the 150 spec and it did so just fine; didn't feel at all like it was getting "near the edge" so all is fine. I guess they upped the specs and the wheel mounting hardware to be sure all that power wouldn't overwhelm the mounting of the wheels. Since a lot of guys have modded their cars to 700+ HP and they haven't had any issues with the wheels that should put me at peace with my stock model.
I had over 100 wheel changes when I stopped counting, and I’m over 100 autox/track day events at 150 ft/lbs and no issues.

To be far, some studs did get changed out when hubs failed or parts were upgraded, but never broken a stud.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
It's discussed because it's probably the highest lug torque value any one here has ever seen on a car.

I'm sure it's safe. Ford calls for 150 ft-lbs on their heavy duty trucks with the same studs.

But even late model Hellcat and Corvette wheels don't torque more than 100 to 115 or so.

I have a torque wrench that maxes out at 100 that, until my Mustang, worked for every car I've owned.

So it's just interesting, and we like to talk about interesting shit in here and figure out the why of things.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I think the super duties are up to 165 now...

OP
OP
Garfy

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
It's discussed because it's probably the highest lug torque value any one here has ever seen on a car.

I'm sure it's safe. Ford calls for 150 ft-lbs on their heavy duty trucks with the same studs.

But even late model Hellcat and Corvette wheels don't torque more than 100 to 115 or so.

I have a torque wrench that maxes out at 100 that, until my Mustang, worked for every car I've owned.

So it's just interesting, and we like to talk about interesting shit in here and figure out the why of things.
I suppose it's OK as I found a torque spec for a 2010-2011 Camaro that was 140.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the quality of the studs in many bolt-ons is HIGHLY suspect. Unless you know you've got Moog or Dorman parts, hope for the best but don't be surprised if the chinesium breaks off in your hand.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
the quality of the studs in many bolt-ons is HIGHLY suspect. Unless you know you've got Moog or Dorman parts, hope for the best but don't be surprised if the chinesium breaks off in your hand.
I'd have expected Steeda to source from quality manufacturers, but I'm not gonna pass judgement. Going to install extended studs anyway and will either try to knock the studs out of the spacers, harder than I already have, or just grind them down to flush and save some money.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have expected Steeda to source from quality manufacturers
I'm sure the Steeda parts are good, as well Eibach. But they are 50 more sources of bolt-on spacers... The bolts are just pressed in, so any decent 3+ ton press will make short work of them.
If you want slip-on spacers, the CJ Pony parts ones are rather nice and quite inexpensive.
Sponsored