Wheel nut issues

Ste996

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Is there a know problem with the rear wheel nuts coming loose on the 5 litre. I’ve lost one somewhere on the road. Been told by a tyre fitter that did a torque check on all 4 wheels that it is a common problem especially if they have been over tightened at some point more so with the 5 litre only. Any truth in this. Car is a 19 gt.
Sponsored

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have not heard of this issue at all. Torque spec is 150lbs. I would think it would be hard to over tighten, but I guess it is possible.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's an issue with the nuts coming apart due to poor materials, but not necessarily coming loose.

My guess is there was confusion about what the correct torque spec is. Many people don't believe the manual where it says 150, so they were probably torqued to ~100 which is what they believe is the correct value. If they are not tightened correctly, I can see how one would work itself loose and fall off.

Last edited:

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Overnighten as in crack or strip the nut?

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
No way the lugs came loose if properly torqued to the correct 150 ft/lbs. This is so sad that people try to argue otherwise based on their "experience." Ensure all lugs are torqued to 150 and if they still come loose you've got another problem :like:

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
The stock lug nuts are garbage. Do yourself a favor and buy some better-quality ones, torque them down, never worry about it again.
Any recommendations for new lugs? I have also heard the OEM ones are plated and will warp/swell over time. Haven't had that issue but I will probably replace mine in the next year with something else, so what lugs do folks recommend?

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
In the past i've always used McGard or Gorilla, never had any issues with either. Just keep a spare lug nut tool since they are sometimes cheaply made.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations for new lugs? I have also heard the OEM ones are plated and will warp/swell over time. Haven't had that issue but I will probably replace mine in the next year with something else, so what lugs do folks recommend?
Gorilla brand are good lug nuts. The Ford Performance open lugs are good too.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I got gorilla the first week I got my car. Swapped them out and cranked them down to 150# and good to go. When I got my new wheels, they came with new Gorilla as well..

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Whatever brand u buy just make sure there solid one piece and that they are the large "bulge" acorn lug nuts. Alot of people even on here use aftermarket but small style. Those have a lot less contact area on the cone of the lug nut and the seat of the wheel (factory wheels) which is unsafe.