Votes: 188 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Heading to the auto show tomorrow, curious to see how it looks in person. I don;t like hating on somethig subjective, but I'm not a huge fan going by the pictures that have been posted.

I cannot stand hood cowls, want to see how this one looks u
Sponsored

KachĆøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
things often COME in packages and you have no choice.

By the way, my '19 GT PP2 IS MY ONLY CAR and I wouldn't have it with more toys but I would like it to have less than what it has. I drive it daily, in the winter, and in snow (with a separate winter set of tires) and all year round.

Then I guess you want a luxury car or a BMW or whatever. That is not what a Mustang is.
I hear you and I daily mine year-round too. This is also my only car. While I cross-shopped a M240i, a Challenger, and a GR86 with the Mustang, I bought this for the V8 and the fact that it's comfortable to daily every day at the same time. My car has none of these features I've mentioned either and it's not a dealbreaker that it didn't have them.

I don't really consider simple parking cameras and a HUD to be "luxury car" features. I'm not asking for ass-massaging chairs or anything ā€” the ones I mentioned earlier are features that come in most modern economy cars now for crying out loud. Maybe i'm wrong, but I wouldn't think it would result in much weight gain either considering it's a couple cameras and wiring which is what, maybe 20-30 lbs? Maybe 40lbs tops?

The fact of the matter is, "all-new" generation's lack of updates is just Ford being lazy and resting on laurels since the competition is going away.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium, '19 HD FLHT, '08 Piper Saratoga
Since the dawn of automotive time there have been ill comments about the next newly intro'd whatever. But somehow, the Mustang moniker has continued to survive, even through the very dark EPA inspired Mustang II years. The "It luks lyk a Comera" and "Ford is being lazy" stuff is all armchair conjecture without actually knowing what drove the outcome. I remember really disliking the front end of the new F Series trucks in 1979 and guess what, people still bought them.

I grew up in a '69 with a 351C and have owned many mustangs through the years (but never a Mustang II :puke:), but do I like the S650? Don't know yet because I have no tangible evidence to base an opinion on and it's possible what's actually produced will be different than what was intro'd.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't pretend you know what Ford was thinking or have reason to be insulted that you weren't asked to help them design it....jeez-o-peet....

However, I do appreciate that it should have a hidden pistol cubby for self defense....way to go home boy.

MB

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
things often COME in packages and you have no choice.

By the way, my '19 GT PP2 IS MY ONLY CAR and I wouldn't have it with more toys but I would like it to have less than what it has. I drive it daily, in the winter, and in snow (with a separate winter set of tires) and all year round.

Then I guess you want a luxury car or a BMW or whatever. That is not what a Mustang is.
The Corvette has HUD. If itā€™s good enough for the Vette it should be for the Mustang. I donā€™t need a tech filled car but I also daily mine and sometimes Iā€™m parked in an area where a 360 camera would give me better visuals until I can get out of said spot. I like knobs and buttons and less tech which is one reason I went with the 300A but if HUD and 360 camera were options, Iā€™d likely select those options.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Man, I like the car. LOL, even the ecoboost option is going to look good.

Unrelated, a white S550 ecoboost drove by me yesterday. Bone stock, unmolested by some 17 year old somewhere like most ecoboosts. I have to say, it's a good looking car. The S550 entry level looks great, as does the S650 entry level.

Seriously, compare the current base ecoboost to a base level Challenger or Camaro. Off the lot, the latter two already look ragged out with their 14" rims (This is a joke, but the factory rims are tiny) and black plastic everywhere. I would argue Ford has one of the best design teams of the big three.

I still hate the toaster dash. But that can always be fixed. crappy sheet metal cannot.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Iā€™m pretty sure seeing it in person would be better than looking at pictures and videos.
Iā€™d normally agree with you, but when they completely ignored the Mustang part of the interior, slapped a screen on top of the dash, and lacked the attention to properly integrate screens in the interior and then squashed the back tail area it became a NO for me. Too bad, the front is pretty nice, but a bit too Camaro/Charger. Right off the bat the car should have Mustang cues inside. If you didnā€™t see the outside before you get in the new car you wouldnā€™t have any idea what you were in, could be an Audi and thatā€™s sad. They need to give that dash back to the Mach e where it belongs.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I still hate the toaster dash. But that can always be fixed. crappy sheet metal cannot.
I'd say the opposite. Body modifications for a different look are easy and readily available.

Changing the interior/dash with it's horrible design? Almost impossible.

Seen a lot of S550/S197 dash kits that change their gauges/look completely? No.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd say the opposite. Body modifications for a different look are easy and readily available.

Changing the interior/dash with it's horrible design? Almost impossible.

Seen a lot of S550/S197 dash kits that change their gauges/look completely? No.
Plenty of changed dash/cluster combo's out there for the S550 now, and most are pretty reasonably priced. Buying a new hood, fenders, bumper, all are very expensive. They are subject to crash requirements. Dash panels are not.

The bigger problem is the current design environment loves slapping ipads onto the dash with a bezel from the early 90's on everything. It's literally every manufacturer.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The Corvette has HUD. If itā€™s good enough for the Vette it should be for the Mustang. I donā€™t need a tech filled car but I also daily mine and sometimes Iā€™m parked in an area where a 360 camera would give me better visuals until I can get out of said spot. I like knobs and buttons and less tech which is one reason I went with the 300A but if HUD and 360 camera were options, Iā€™d likely select those options.
That to me is like saying NYC has a subway system so Austin, Tx and Orlando. FL should get one too. Not sure how many call the Corvette a daily driver or how many could afford it to be one.

You are entitled to want what you want as do I. I just feel that the dash is just a little below it and the same data is already being presented. This is the same reasoning why do we need digital displays vs analog real gauges. To each their own. We had digital in the 80's at the very least and yet analog still exists long after. Maybe all this 'tech' is just the current fad, who knows.

Next we will want to deploy a drone to fly up above to help us park or to scout driving conditions ahead...

To me, these are just toys. Backup cameras came about because SUVs being too tall and children being shorter could not be seen near them. Make the SUV a reasonable height and that problem goes away. Afterall, the SUV is just a jacked up station wagon. Not sure I heard of too many being run over by station wagons but seemed to be common enough to warrant adding a camera to an SUV.

I guess my thinking is this, which would you rather have, a well designed car that takes visibility into consideration or one where they get around design flaws with cameras. I really HATE the rear view camera that is integrated into the center mirror in the Camaro and that wouldn't even be needed if they designed the greenhouse right.

In the end, all of these additions just drives up costs and becomes points of failures from some future owner. I think it would suck if a future Mustang could not be enjoyed because some unneeded part failed. Sorry, we cannot back up because the 360 camera is broken even though you can turn your head and just back out more slowly. I am sorry but the software refuses to let you go in reverse until you fix the camera.

Also, if they took the time for making 'toys' and instead put that into designing a better, lighter, more reliable car, I would definitely take that over any number of toys any day.

Of course, if you are fortunate enough to change cars often, none of this could pertain to you. Me, I keep them until either I kill them or they kill me. In the case of my S550 GT PP2, my daughter says that she gets it and will fix it should it outlast me. Let's hope it was built well.

IMHO.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
After reading people's reactions all over the internet, it seems that S550 owners are the most critical of the S650. I still say it comes down to not wanting to let go of the S550, but once the S650 hits the streets, S550 owners will be running to their dealer like a crackhead on payday. :cool:

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 4T Premium, 2018 Mazda 6 GTR
Most of the people out there that like the interior AND that ridiculous big screen with all that digital crap right in front of them, and planning on buying an s650 .... are simply settling, IMO. If Ford offered the current s650 interior style and also offered gauges and controls similar to the s550, with possibly some upgrades, as an alternative, 9 out of 10 would opt for the gauges and not that big, long egregious screen. I am 99% sure that that would be the case. Another words, people are thinking, 'it's ok, I will live with it'!

Last edited:

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
The Corvette has HUD. If itā€™s good enough for the Vette it should be for the Mustang.
What's the reasoning here? Based on what history and past practice?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
The Porsche 911 Carrera GT2 RS has the BEST gauge cluster of all time and no heads up display.

IMG_15958-large.jpg
Sponsored