What year mt82’s are having problems?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Wait for the Mach 1 and the Tremec IMO. Had a 2016 stick and traded it in after 3k miles for the auto.
Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
The MT82 had more issues early on. It was upgraded in 2018 with the D4 version, which meant 4th gear was the new 1:1 ratio (rather than 5th), along with other improvements. However, Getrag messed up with the shift forks on 2018, and they issued a TSB. So your best bet is a 2019 car or newer. My Bullitt shifts really nice, but when cold, you have the typical manual tranny behavior, which in our case is a notchy 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 nibble. But it practically goes away when fully warmed up. Good luck.
Lets not forget about the clunk when going into 1st when at a stop. Hell, mine does it in 1st and 2nd but more so in 1st.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Lets not forget about the clunk when going into 1st when at a stop. Hell, mine does it in 1st and 2nd but more so in 1st.
Think that’s related to the slack from the 2 piece driveshaft, not the transmission itself.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have 26K miles on mine. The OE fluid was better in cold temps but the trans was not very smooth, had allot of gear noise and the 1-2 nibbles were common. I changed fluid and filled with BG Syncro Shift 2 at about 5K miles. Immediately shifted better, few/no 1-2 nibbles and no more gear noise. The BG fluid is not as good in colder temps (below 50) so you have to granny shift until everything warms up. Usually by the time I get out of my neighborhood. BTW, I hear the same thing from Camaro drivers.

The MT-82 is not the best manual I have ever owned but it seems to get better with age. It has in my case....or maybe I am just better at using it. I also don't think that the OE clutch is that great and that has allot to do with the whole experience.

If you want/need a manual then buy one, change the fluid and learn how to use it.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
^ agree oem clutch on the 15-17s is made in Turkey single disc garbage.

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
I had a 15 mt82, put a mgw shifter as soon as I got it and never had any lock out or transmission issues. I wanted boost and didn’t want to spend money on upgrading the transmission and clutch and possibly still having issues so I traded for a boosted 16 auto for that reason. Auto takes the power no problem lol

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am glad I found this thread. What was the TSB for on the MT82, shift forks? I have a 2018 manual GT. And before, the shifts were just fine, but now at about 12,000 miles, they've been getting a bit notchy, not as smooth. I have a steeda Tri X short shifter shaft. Not the whole box, just the shaft. There were absolutely no problems for over one year. I went under car and rechecked all bolts and installation and everything is fine. Just curious if maybe transmission messing up. Think I'll change fluid out to see if that helps. I'll probably check inside center console, shifter boot, this weekend but nothing could mess it up from that area, I dont think.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've got a 2015 MT82 car with a Whipple on E85(around 850rwhp). The changes I've made to my MT82 are an MGW, Amsoil fluid, and a stainless clutch line. I absolutely love this trans and how it shifts! 850rwhp and 8k rpm shifts are smooth as hell.

Back when I was on 93(725 rwhp) I had my stock clutch and even then it was great. Went to an Exedy Mach600 when I went to E85 and that clutch was just burnt up end of this summer and just swapped that out for a Spec Super Twin.

My mt82 has been great!

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I upgraded the shifter to MGW, changed the fluid to BG Syncromesh and also added the pedders red trans bushing in (no nvh) and it performs very well and allows to you shift without being locked out and has butter smooth shifts.
I am going to try that pedders trans mount. Is that the name of transmission fluid BG Syncromesh? I am trying to determine which trans fluid to change to.

thirdoptik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack
Yes all MT82s have problems. However, after owning 4 of them, I've learned a few things.

I upgraded the shifter to MGW, changed the fluid to BG Syncromesh and also added the pedders red trans bushing in (no nvh) and it performs very well and allows to you shift without being locked out and has butter smooth shifts.
Did you drill a hile in your Pedders Red Trans bushing? I have one and am curious before installing mine whether I need to drill a hole as recommended on the Whiteline brand bushings.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2018 and early 2019’s had the 1-4 shift fork failures:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-19-mt82-owners-see-tsb’s-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/#post-2394500

Then later on, there was this TSB that was for all 2018-2020 MT82’s regarding clutch failures:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ailure-related-to-excessive-wheel-hop.186777/

Even though there are those above concerns, it doesn’t mean EVERY S550 produced with the MT82 in those ranges of years had those noted failures…. But there is that possibility they could experience the concerns.

If you’re looking at any used Mustang and it’s on a Ford Dealer’s lot, ALWAYS ask for a copy of the complete OASIS Report. That report will have any repair history (warranty repairs or not) that were done at any Ford Dealer in the US. If you’re overseas, you can request an ETIS Report which should have the same info.
Sponsored

Last edited: