Sponsored

Ben Calimer users - Insight & update thread (the good, the bad and the ugly)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
To all of the Ben Calimer Stage 1, 2 or 3 users, can we hear from you guys as to how well/or not you transmission has held up? I’d like to know the following:

- How many miles have you put on it?
- Has it handled WOT and No Lift Shifting well (for WOT Box users)?
- Any crunching and grinding of gears at all (if so, at what rpm)?
- How much power/torque does your car make?
- Do you drag race, roll race or road race?
- What transmission fluid are you running?
- What shifter do you have paired with it?
- Any issues getting the car into gear?
- What clutch are you using?
- Have you broken your output shaft (if so, was it a Stage 1, 2, or 3 tranny)?
- Is the Calimer transmission overrated and not without it’s fair share of problems?
- Do you wish you had gone with a T56 Magnum over Calimer?
- Is there anything else that I forgot to ask that is of importance?

Thanks

Adrian
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Can I assume that everyone’s Calimer built tranny is running as strong as a gorilla with no issues at all?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Look for similar thread on TMO. Lots of unsatisfied customers - unfortunately.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Look for similar thread on TMO. Lots of unsatisfied customers - unfortunately.
TMO? Sorry I'm old, can you tell me what this is so I can take a look.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Track mustang's online

Those guys have also played with other offerings and parts for the mt82.

Im tempted to follow op's lead and handle my own rebuild but using spare trans. Just not 100% the juice is worth the squeeze for a level 2 or 3 calimer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just stumbled across this video (wasn’t even looking for it) and thought I’d post it here. I‘m a little surprised that the guy had a gear failure in a Stage 3, given that they are supposed to have billet gears in them and are rated at 1000hp and 900tq.

Last edited:

Tee-Dots79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP2
- How many miles have you put on it? Approx. 25k miles.

- Has it handled WOT and No Lift Shifting well (for WOT Box users)? n/a

- Any crunching and grinding of gears at all (if so, at what rpm)? none.

- How much power/torque does your car make? 965 hp / 683 tq

- Do you drag race, roll race or road race?
I do get suckered into playing on the Highway, but drag strip most of the time.

- What transmission fluid are you running?
Whatever Calimer offers. Amsoil something...

- What shifter do you have paired with it?
MGW flatstick.

- Any issues getting the car into gear?
No.

- What clutch are you using?
McLeod RXT 26 spline.

- Have you broken your output shaft (if so, was it a Stage 1, 2, or 3 tranny)?
No.

- Is the Calimer transmission overrated and not without it’s fair share of problems?
Not in my experience, but I know guys who have broken stage 2's pretty quickly.

- Do you wish you had gone with a T56 Magnum over Calimer?
I wanted to go with the Magnum, but I'd have lost magneride. The stage 3 was my only option.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I just stumbled across this video (wasn’t even looking for it) and thought I’d post it here. I‘m a little surprised that the guy had a gear failure in a Stage 3, given that they are supposed to have billet gears in them and are rated at 1000hp and 900tq.

He said he had an issue on the 5-6 shift, only gears 1-4 are replaced in a stage 3 trans.

I've seen some guys in the stick shift coyote group who have had issues, I don't know of any other options for a "built" MT82 with stronger gears and all though.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Most guys won't remember and even if they do, they won't talk about it, but Stick Shift Coyotes removed a post by another vendor who Calimer used an attorney to go after for using the term "stage 3." Calimer doesn't have those terms trademarked, and they have been used before and on countless different items (not just transmissions). It was real douchebag type stuff (which is why they removed the post) but I would never give my money to a business that behaves that way.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Most guys won't remember and even if they do, they won't talk about it, but Stick Shift Coyotes removed a post by another vendor who Calimer used an attorney to go after for using the term "stage 3." Calimer doesn't have those terms trademarked, and they have been used before and on countless different items (not just transmissions). It was real douchebag type stuff (which is why they removed the post) but I would never give my money to a business that behaves that way.
I agree, the term Stage 3 is commonly used in performance packages. I just don’t see how that warranted filing a lawsuit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I asked the YT poster to elaborate on what happened and his overall impression of the transmission. Here is what he said verbatim:

704 whp, 623 wtq, mcleod RXT, did a 6800 rpm shift from 5th to 6th with complete lift off throttle before shifting into 6th. Went wot after clutch was left out. Haven't liked the trans since I bought it. Shifts grind at times depending on the rpm and speed of shift, noisy, and obviously not as advertised from a hp and tq rating.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I agree, the term Stage 3 is commonly used in performance packages. I just don’t see how that warranted filing a lawsuit.
I wouldn't characterize it as a "suit" but he apparently had an attorney send a threatening letter that he planned on pursuing civil law against them if they didn't stop. I felt it was really douchey, but of course, most of the "protected" vendors enjoy top cover on the largest media forums. They took it down just when it wasn't looking good for Calimer. I could see if he was the first person to ever use/coin the terms "stage 1" "stage 2" etc. Anyway, I wouldn't buy from him just because of that. Tells me of his mindset and what type of business person he is. I personally think the Magnum is a much better option (for those that don't have rev matching) for a number of reasons, and in most cases, the Magnum swap is pretty close to the same cost if you haven't already invested in things like driveshaft, shifter, etc. (which can still be resold and recover a good amount of their value).

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Lashbrook is another company that is servicing our transmissions. May want to hit them up and see what they are about.

https://lashbrookbuilt.com/

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Lashbrook is another company that is servicing our transmissions. May want to hit them up and see what they are about.

https://lashbrookbuilt.com/
I spoke to the guys at Lashbrook, as well as Calimer. While I hadn’t heard anything negative about Lashbrook, I’ve heard several negative things about Calimer. I came really close to purchasing Calimer tranny too, but started locating threads/posts that weren’t favorable to him, so I decided to tackle the rebuild myself. I’m praying/believing for a successful outcome, as this is my first rodeo when it comes to rebuilding a tranny.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wouldn't characterize it as a "suit" but he apparently had an attorney send a threatening letter that he planned on pursuing civil law against them if they didn't stop. I felt it was really douchey, but of course, most of the "protected" vendors enjoy top cover on the largest media forums. They took it down just when it wasn't looking good for Calimer. I could see if he was the first person to ever use/coin the terms "stage 1" "stage 2" etc. Anyway, I wouldn't buy from him just because of that. Tells me of his mindset and what type of business person he is. I personally think the Magnum is a much better option (for those that don't have rev matching) for a number of reasons, and in most cases, the Magnum swap is pretty close to the same cost if you haven't already invested in things like driveshaft, shifter, etc. (which can still be resold and recover a good amount of their value).
I probably could have gone the Magnum route, with all the money I’ve spent on tools, parts and metal enhancement services (Cryo and shot peening). I decided to stick with my MT82-D4 for the Rev matching that you mentioned. I’m sure that in time, the Magnum will be adapted to incorporate plug and play Rev matching. I will keep an eye out for that, just in case I ever need to make the switch. Drivetrain weaknesses are proving to be very expensive to improve upon.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/
Sponsored