Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that there will be a software upgrade for many of the Sync4 features to work with Sync3. What features are going to be available is TBD, but my only desire is for better connectivity with my iPhone.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sync4 is not a software update. Sync3 systems will not be “upgradeable” to Sync4, just like you cannot upgrade an iPhone X to an iPhone 11 or a Galaxy S10 to an S20. There will likely be a Sync3 v4.0 eventually, but that’s a software revision of Sync3 and has nothing to do with Sync4.

Yea - so instead of having to upgrade or buy a new $800-$1k+ phone every year to keep up with the technology, now you also have to upgrade or buy a $40k-$70k+ vehicle every 2-3 years too... LMFAO :crackup:

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. I didn't like the look of the antenna on the 2018 GT Premium either, and that is one of the reasons I went with a 300A base GT.

There were two things I wanted from the Premium trim, and those were leather seats and the MyColor cluster.

I reupholstered the seats myself with GT Premium leather takeoffs, and I am researching the MyColor cluster swap.

Satellite radio and Sync 3 are just things that don't interest me. I don't need all the tech.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I still have my 99 convertible Z24 w/ Quad 4 lol. Piece of shit you are bang on. However parts are (still) dirt cheap and the boneyards are still full of them.
I had a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire, which was the same piece of shit, just with slight styling changes to make it look like a slightly fancier piece of shit.

Traded that in on my first Mustang GT (07 in Redfire) and have never looked back.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Is the tumor supposed to be for satellite radio or something? GPS?
I don't know what the split-up is. I don't nav in my coupe, but both cars have satellite radio. Convertible has nav. Whips are usually for radio....so what's acting as a radio antenna on the coupe?

OP
OP
fmc_smt

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
So I dug into the service manual this morning and figured out they did . Descriptions cut and pasted bellow . I still think it is fu***** ugly .

Satellite Radio (if equipped)

Satellite signals collected by the satellite radio antenna can be selected and played back over the audio system. The satellite antenna sends satellite radio and GPS data through the satellite radio cable to a splitter (integrated into the cable). The satellite radio signals are separated by the splitter and sent to the satellite radio receiver within the ACM.

Satellite Radio is only available in North America.
Late Build Vehicles

The primary means of communication between the TCU and the cellular network is a cellular antenna integrated into the GPS/satellite radio antenna (coupe) or a stand alone primary cellular antenna located behind the left rear quarter trim panel (convertible). A coaxial cable connects the cellular portion of the antenna to the TCU. The secondary means of communication between the TCU and the cellular network is the secondary cellular ( TCU) antenna. The secondary cellular ( TCU) antenna connects to the TCU via a coaxial cable.
Late Build Vehicles

The TCU communicates to the cellular network by two means. The primary connection is through the cable to the primary cellular antenna incorporated into the GPS/satellite radio antenna (coupe) or the antenna. The secondary means is through the cable to the TCU antenna
Vehicle Wi-Fi Hotspot (if equipped)

The TCU provides the vehicle Wi-Fi access point.

Deleted member 35644

Thanks for digging that up. I guess I'd have to get inside the engineers' heads to figure out why this is the situation: GPS/satellite radio antenna (coupe) or a stand alone primary cellular antenna located behind the left rear quarter trim panel (convertible).

My guess is the necessary cables running to the 'tumor' on the coupe are too big / fragile to run to the "tumor" on the trunk-lid of the convertible. It was a real head-scratcher looking at them parked next to each other.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Yea - so instead of having to upgrade or buy a new $800-$1k+ phone every year to keep up with the technology, now you also have to upgrade or buy a $40k-$70k+ vehicle every 2-3 years too... LMFAO :crackup:
Well, if there’s an 8” screen version of Sync4, that’s not a “floating” style-screen, which fits in the current housing, I’m sure we’ll be able to simply purchase and retrofit it into our cars. Much like how 2015 MY owners with MyFordTouch swapped out units to get Sync3.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
On many cars, they can also run the radio antenna inside the rear window. you cannot do that in the vert.

vioc

Sponsored

f700es

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Did a pre delivery inspection on a 2020 cs yesterday , and Ford has gone to this for there communication antenna. What the hell are they thinking !
20200226_054426.jpg
20200226_054449.jpg
Nice car BUT...the side scoops offend me more ;) Just my opinion but side scoops on a S550 just look out of place. To each their own.

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
Ha good eye.

I saw an early 90’s Corsica a few weeks ago. Talk about a throwback. I rember as a kid my neighbors having a Cavalier Z/24 and I used to judge how fast cars were based on what the speedo numbers were. Good times.
Ha. My 88 LX 5.0 Speedo only went up to 85. The needle was buried most the time :)
Sponsored