What is Ford thinking ?

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
Ok guys so my 20 GT350 came with the shark tin and I hate it!!!! So talked to my dealership and ford about replacing it and the gave me this.

So I figured I would buy a older one and replace in myself. So I got a older and they can’t really be changed out here is what I found. So it looks like I’m stuck with the ugly shark fin.
06B0BEB7-1A09-44C9-8E37-CEC73EEE2D27.jpeg

It appears that the dual connector is set up on one side for satellite/GPS and the other for TCU(cellular). You could simply plug the cable from the bubble antenna into the one for satellite/GPS and leave the other alone. If you can't tell which wire is which you might have to experiment by plugging into each of them until your satellite/GPS started working. You will have to shave one or both of the "keys" off the sides of the connectors. The gold and blue Fakra connectors are keyed differently but if you remove the keys (use a pocket knife or razor blade) the gold connector should fit the blue one and still lock in place. You will have to align the lock up by sight since you won't have the keys guiding you anymore. Of course you will still have the mounting holes situation to deal with.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
It’s crazy how different trends are across the Asian and domestic market. The number one accessory we sold when I worked at a online wholesaler was the beat sonic shark fin for FRS/BRZ/GT86. Sent them out daily. We couldn’t keep them in stock and they couldn’t make them fast enough.

Maybe because they came with that stupid RC car looking antenna and not a puck though. We sold a ton of stubby antennas also but reception sucked once you put that on

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If its good enough for a prancing pony, it should be good enough for a galloping one :giggle:
Shark Fin.jpg

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
EDIT: this post was merged into the “what were they thinking” thread...which has answered my

My 2020 is a base model car...the ONLY options it came with are active exhaust and one of the alternate 18" wheel packages (which are collecting dust in the garage)...

...So why on earth does my car have the blocky shark fin on the roof?
Is there a preferred way to delete/ replace it with something less obvious?

Mustang 5-5-20 - small.jpg

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
They all do.........it replaced the "nipple" earlier this year. So, every new S550 no matter what spec, get the shark fin now.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
SSM 48678 - 2020 Mustang Coupe - Appearance Of The Satellite Radio Antenna - Built On Or After 31-Jan-2020
2020 Mustang coupe vehicles built on or after 31-Jan-2020 may have a satellite radio antenna that differs in appearance from vehicles built prior to this date.These vehicles may have a satellite radio antenna that has a 'shark fin' appearance instead of a 'dome' appearance. This is a design characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted. Do not attempt to install the dome style antenna on a vehicle originally equipped with the shark fin antenna.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
SSM 48678 - 2020 Mustang Coupe - Appearance Of The Satellite Radio Antenna - Built On Or After 31-Jan-2020
2020 Mustang coupe vehicles built on or after 31-Jan-2020 may have a satellite radio antenna that differs in appearance from vehicles built prior to this date.These vehicles may have a satellite radio antenna that has a 'shark fin' appearance instead of a 'dome' appearance. This is a design characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted. Do not attempt to install the dome style antenna on a vehicle originally equipped with the shark fin antenna.
I don't suppose they go into any further detail, like what might happen (loss of telematics?) or how much functionality (sat-radio?) you might lose by swapping the fin out for the dome.

Norm

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
No idea I'm afraid, Norm. That was cut n pasted from a thread in the GT350 section.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't suppose they go into any further detail, like what might happen (loss of telematics?) or how much functionality (sat-radio?) you might lose by swapping the fin out for the dome.
Norm
Why would they go into detail on making a change they are telling you not to make? sounds counterproductive.

"Do not attempt to install the dome style antenna on a vehicle originally equipped with the shark fin antenna".

Sometimes you just need to deal with change and leave things alone. Wouldn't it be great if you could change everything you do not like?
Sponsored