OP
OP

pitmanr2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Try it now and let us know how that goes 👀
Can't tonight. Will tomorrow. You think dremel with drill bit would be better than big clunky drill to make hole

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Glue a tiny super strong rare earth magnet to the top of that plastic piece. Use another strong magnet to pull it out of the hole. You can get them 1/4 the size of a button on a shirt. Use a small dot of the gel type crazy glue. The gel stuff is alot more impact resistant and will make a stronger bond. Also the gel won't leak / run down the side of the shaft fucking you completely.

Don't get your finger skin caught between two of them (the earth magnets) or that will become your new problem and you'll forget all about that plastic piece

Last edited:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Forget the glue. If you glue that thing in there you're buying a new shifter assembly. Epoxy will glue it in there.

Go buy an Eazy-out and you'll be done. Or try it with a wood screw. Use the lower holes to lock the shaft if it wants to spin when drilling it..

Good luck!~

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Did ya get it out? If not I would suggest taking a hot glue gun stick. melting the end a bit and then sticking it to the top of the plastic piece once cooled(only take second) then pull it out.
I think this may be the best idea. Crazy glue could glue the stick to the inside of the shifter tube, but hot glue will probably not stick. In fact, maybe take a metal screw, drop hot glue on tip, and immediately push it down and touch the plastic. Wait 5-10 min for the glue to be completely cool to room temp, then yank it out. If it doesn't work, do this over and over until it comes out.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Forget the glue. If you glue that thing in there you're buying a new shifter assembly. Epoxy will glue it in there.

Go buy an Eazy-out and you'll be done. Or try it with a wood screw. Use the lower holes to lock the shaft if it wants to spin when drilling it..

Good luck!~
That's why he would use tape to protect the inside of the cylinder and keep the glue on the center of the white piece

OP
OP

pitmanr2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm finding it hard to believe there are no videos on assembly and disassembly of this area of shifter. On good note worse case is the shifter assembly is little over 100 dollars. Just no tutorial on how to deal out that I located yet. Lol

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Can't tonight. Will tomorrow. You think dremel with drill bit would be better than big clunky drill to make hole
I don't know anything about drill bits, ask the guys here 😀 they're giving you great advice on here.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Work the area close to the edge, without getting in to the metal. You do not want to scratch it or ruff it up. and work to the center.

Maybe consider a router bit instead of a drill bit, for the dermal.. Small 1/8 in diameter, and only use enough speed to cut the plastic not melt it. The slower speeds allow better control of the tool

This is what I'm trying to say.

If the hole in the shifter is 1/2, and you were to drill the plastic out using a bit 3/8.

That would leave a 1/8 plastic shield protecting the inside of the shifter.

I say that because I think that plastic part rides up and down inside, shifting or getting into rev ?

Also when it has been thinned, center of the plastic material removed. It will actually allow the outside up against the inside of the shifter to collapse inward some. And just might free it up enough to pull it out.

It could be, when the top part broke off (was it the ball), twisting it, the plastic shattered some and got larger, causing it to be jammed.

So if lucky you very well could take our some material only 1/2 -3/4inch down in from the top. Removing the pressure , and out she comes.

Good luck that is a bear, but do not rush it, just work with it. No gorilla moves please. <grin>

Last edited:

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'm just thinking out loud here, but doesn't the release button on the shift knob actuate this rod in the lever? If it is, it's not going to drop down, because it's spring loaded. You should be able to drill a hole and thread a wood screw into it, to remove it. Good luck.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I took back a part and went to pull out the insert and it was stuck. It then broke off and now it's stuck down inside with no way to get.
Broke off how, did it snap from just pulling straight up? Snapping it by pulling along its axis would require a huge amount of force unless it's made of licorice so whatever was resisting may now be properly jammed and it's possible that nothing will work. Can you move the shifter to another position and have another go?

I'm finding it hard to believe there are no videos on assembly and disassembly of this area of shifter. On good note worse case is the shifter assembly is little over 100 dollars. Just no tutorial on how to deal out that I located yet. Lol
If your options are to mess about trying to get it out while trying to not damage anything else and then buy a replacement part if you can even get one, vs buying the whole thing for $100, the latter might be the best option provided you can find out from the manufacturer how it could have happened.

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP. 2001 Mustang GT Cam’d & Vortech’d
Sorry but a “short shifter” for a auto?! 😂😂😂😂😂😂 To each their own i guess

OP
OP

pitmanr2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry but a “short shifter” for a auto?! 😂😂😂😂😂😂 To each their own i guess
You evidently have never seen how ugly the factory auto shifter looks. Not only does it make it inch shorter it allows you to use standard shift knobs.

OP
OP

pitmanr2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broke off how, did it snap from just pulling straight up? Snapping it by pulling along its axis would require a huge amount of force unless it's made of licorice so whatever was resisting may now be properly jammed and it's possible that nothing will work. Can you move the shifter to another position and have another go?

If your options are to mess about trying to get it out while trying to not damage anything else and then buy a replacement part if you can even get one, vs buying the whole thing for $100, the latter might be the best option provided you can find out from the manufacturer how it could have happened.
I was pulling trsight up and twisting a bit to try to wiggle loose. If it was stuck I'm not sure how I can still push it down some and slide up some just stops. I have tried in other gears no luck. It shifts into all gears fine it just doesn't keep you from shifting when you shouldn't be able to

OP
OP

pitmanr2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks alot better look at pics. Now if only I can get it to work. Lol. I also have the manual boot bezel so get rid of ugly arse plastic stuff around it

Screenshot_20201228-205020_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20201228-205228_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored