Sponsored

So the s197 has very minimal drivetrain loss, will the s550 have that as well?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
What do you guys think? I've seen that the current gen has anywhere from 8-10% drivetrain loss which is amazing. Is anyone concerned the S550 drivetrain loss will increase due to IRS? I would love to hear some educated guesses/opinions on this matter.
Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Are you referring to bhp or hp from the engine and what is put out at the wheels? More drive train moving parts equal a power loss as well as height and angles/elevation the driveshaft and related parts go through.... It's not so bad in cars as compared to trucks... but an 8-10% is outstanding for a rwd car

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Can you imagine the power loss of those people trying to put the big ass wheels on the mustang or those former cop cars? Actually kinda jealous as some of them have a better ground clearance in the front as compared to my 4x4. Lol

OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol I can only imagine. But I have seen a couple that actually look well done surprisingly.

And yes drivetrain loss would be the power loss at the wheels from the engine due to the drivetrain in the middle.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
SLA has less so IRS might maybe 5-10% more from that..not sure though.

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
My guess on any loss on the new mustang will be minimal at that.... the less angles that the half shafts go to the wheels would be optimal if it were just a straight line but it really is difficult to say as we do not have all the specifics on the mustang yet... Hell, all those dimensions on those parts take a roll in strength and/or power ratings

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
It is my opinion that one of the drivers of the 5.0L engine changes, in particular the midlock cam phasing, is to counter any additional sensations of the seat-of-the-pants feel being dulled by the new rear suspension configuration. I don't have the engineering background to prove that. For someone like me who appreciates the pull from stop to highway speeds, this alone would be a big part of the beauty of these changes (if this is indeed a potential reason).

The EcoBoost engine is said to have a nice, flat torque cruve from what we've been promised by lag elimination. I do believe that if the peak is around the 320 ft-lb, similar to the 4.6L in my 2010 GT, then people will like the response, especially now that there is an IRS.

I've done some reading on this, and it appears it is quite the challenge to try and calculate the frictional losses because of things like temperature, geometry, engine load, etc.

This is one of those question I hope to ask the engineers next month when I visit Mustang Alley during the Woodward Dream Cruise weekend.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
My take, from a drivetrain point of view, is that the S550 will only improve upon existing reductions in loss. Yes, the IRS is an unknown factor, but at the same time there has been a lot of work done to reduce friction. The drive to improve fuel efficiency is industry-wide, it will even have impact on the Mustang.

There has been a lot of work done in the last couple of years with improved lubricants, lower resistance bearings, mass reductions, etc. It will jointly have a pretty significant effect. I can tell you that from the lube changes alone, differential manufacturers have had to work harder to maintain their slip-limiting ability, because of significant drops in differential friction.

Apply this - and the other improvements - to the axle assy, transmission, shafts, etc and I think we'll start to see new levels of minimized drivetrain losses.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen that the current gen has anywhere from 8-10% drivetrain loss which is amazing.
Can we get a source for that statement? I've never seen a car with that level of efficiency. I thought 15% was amazing.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
I've seen that the current gen has anywhere from 8-10% drivetrain loss which is amazing. I would love to hear some educated guesses/opinions on this matter.
An un-educated thought is that Ford may be under-representing the crank horsepower so that the rear-wheel (dyno) horsepower appears to be a bigger percentage of the reported horsepower. Sub-10 percent seems unlikely. Some manufacturers are notorious for understating crank horsepower, including BMW and Porsche.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can we get a source for that statement? I've never seen a car with that level of efficiency. I thought 15% was amazing.
No real sources, just stuff I've seen in other Mustang forums using google.

An un-educated thought is that Ford may be under-representing the crank horsepower so that the rear-wheel (dyno) horsepower appears to be a bigger percentage of the reported horsepower. Sub-10 percent seems unlikely. Some manufacturers are notorious for understating crank horsepower, including BMW and Porsche.
This is what I have always thought as well but a lot of others seem to think it's more due to a around 10% or so drivetrain loss and not being as high as 15%. FWD usually has less loss than RWD so I was really surprised to see some people think it's around 10%. Hard to tell really without seeing the Engine dyno's and seeing some real #'s and not basing it off the official factory specs.
Sponsored