Sponsored

Weight GT Premium vs base

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
The switches alone are worth the premium. Seriously... They're f'n cool, and very much functional.

The touchscreen and stereo system help, but the switches are the big seller.
Sponsored

MrPlutonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
What other options do you have? 401A? Recaros?

If those numbers are accurate, Racaros + removal of the suitcase could get you in the 3600s which is not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
401A PP standard seats, but no 50 yr package.

Car is empty aside from my fat butt and all weather floormats and trunk liner.

The scales were at a local landfill and are accurate to nearest 20 lbs, so measurements could be basically +/-10 or so lbs.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Ill take a good woman that weighs a few extra pounds over a skinny woman that can't do chit! ;) The creature comforts far outweigh the gain of a few pounds imo!

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The switches alone are worth the premium. Seriously... They're f'n cool, and very much functional.

The touchscreen and stereo system help, but the switches are the big seller.
I put the steering in "comfort" mode before I turned off the dealer lot. Haven't touched the switches once since in the month I've owned the car; other than the one for the hazards and the steering, I don't even know what the others do.

The touchscreen, on the other hand, is sort of indispensable now... I'm 100% certain I can never, ever go back to driving a car without factory navigation.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
When I had my GT Premium fastback weighed, it came out at 3683 lbs with an 1/8 tank of gas and me not in it. That includes the spare tire. Take a look here.

Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
How come a lot of people care so much about weight? What are you doing with your cars that a couple hundred pounds makes a difference you can feel?
Just run Canadian air in your tires and synthetic blinker fluid.
Seriously though... What's up with this? Is it 1/100 of a second quicker in a 1/4 mile or jump further or handle twisties better?

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
So does the car actually weigh less than what people originally thought?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
How come a lot of people care so much about weight? What are you doing with your cars that a couple hundred pounds makes a difference you can feel?
Seriously though... What's up with this? Is it 1/100 of a second quicker in a 1/4 mile or jump further or handle twisties better?
Exactly!!

They are magazine racers as they all can drive like Randy P. or Evan Smith in the quarter mile.

You should've read the other threads on weight discussions...OMG...shit almost made me jab my eyes out. Then I remembered I was on the internet and everyone is John Force or Michael Schumacher:D

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Exactly!!

They are magazine racers as they all can drive like Randy P. or Evan Smith in the quarter mile.

You should've read the other threads on weight discussions...OMG...shit almost made me jab my eyes out. Then I remembered I was on the internet and everyone is John Force or Michael Schumacher:D
99.9% people complained about weight don't even use those weight to make any difference. I would worried about how well the car lay the power to the wheels with less burning rubber.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How about every stop sign or stop light you take off from you notice a difference? :mad:

0-60 is a number that you can feel in the seat of your pants. Just simple straight line acceleration up to the speed limit that any idiot can do.

Yes it makes a difference and I'm surprised you don't get it. It's right there in the performance specs you can find easily on the web. I buy a small car with a V8 for that "fun factor". Added weight decreases the fun. Pretty simple really.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
How about every stop sign or stop light you take off from you notice a difference? :mad:

0-60 is a number that you can feel in the seat of your pants. Just simple straight line acceleration up to the speed limit that any idiot can do.

Yes it makes a difference and I'm surprised you don't get it. It's right there in the performance specs you can find easily on the web. I buy a small car with a V8 for that "fun factor". Added weight decreases the fun. Pretty simple really.
Unless you're taking off rotational mass or unsprung weight, you're going to be very hard pressed to sense the difference of 20lbs. Heck your own body weight can fluctuate as much as 15lbs in a day just based on food and water consumption.

In my own personal past in racing, when dealing with structural or "option" weight (IE seats, stereo etc), you really do not sense a difference until you get closer to 150lbs. That adds up to roughly a tenth in the 1/4.

I'm not saying that weight isn't an issue in performance cars, it is. What I'm saying is that some people have become so sensitive to the issue of weight in this car that they freak the frick-frak out if something adds 10 lbs and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to save 10lbs.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
This 3810 lb is totally missleading, that magazine article car had pp, recaros and acc, if u have no recaros, no acc, no 50 th aniv package you are right at 3815 lbs. A fully loaded car with acc and 50th aniv package(manual) will be around 3870 lbs so that seems to be accurate. For those who wants 20 inch wheels, beware, they are pretty heavy.

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Unless you're taking off rotational mass or unsprung weight, you're going to be very hard pressed to sense the difference of 20lbs. Heck your own body weight can fluctuate as much as 15lbs in a day just based on food and water consumption.

In my own personal past in racing, when dealing with structural or "option" weight (IE seats, stereo etc), you really do not sense a difference until you get closer to 150lbs. That adds up to roughly a tenth in the 1/4.

I'm not saying that weight isn't an issue in performance cars, it is. What I'm saying is that some people have become so sensitive to the issue of weight in this car that they freak the frick-frak out if something adds 10 lbs and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to save 10lbs.
We've become obsessed with weight because they've turned these cars into bloated fat pigs. I mean even my 05 GT was only 3500 lbs. Every generation they keep getting heavier and heavier and larger and larger. I dont know what the heck they are thinking. I mean for me the old Mustangs (60s 70s even 80s and 90s) were the perfecr weight. Now theyre just massive with so much sheetmetal on sides, so much wider. Why? In an essentially 2+2 coupe? And yeah I can easily tell the difference between 3600 and 3800 lbs. Which is why I opted for a base GT this time. All that extra junk for weight from subwoofers, to electrical nonsense, to ACC, to massive heavy wheels and tires. Dont want or need any of rhat. And I really dont ever fluctuate 15 lbs in a day. But Im also proudly skinny.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Nobody here is talking about 10lbs. We are taking 100-200lbs which is substantial in a car like this to many, especially those who actually race. I'm sure you know that 100+ lbs effects everything (acceleration, braking turning...)
When comparing the ls3 camaro ss to the 5.0 in the past the 200lbs extra in the camaro made it a ''pig'' and the deal breaker.
I can definitely feel a difference in the way my car feels when my 200lbs friend rides with me.

15lbs body weight fluctuation in a day is VERY extreme, 3-5 is more the norm.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
We've become obsessed with weight because they've turned these cars into bloated fat pigs. I mean even my 05 GT was only 3500 lbs. Every generation they keep getting heavier and heavier and larger and larger. I dont know what the heck they are thinking. I mean for me the old Mustangs (60s 70s even 80s and 90s) were the perfecr weight. Now theyre just massive with so much sheetmetal on sides, so much wider. Why? In an essentially 2+2 coupe? And yeah I can easily tell the difference between 3600 and 3800 lbs. Which is why I opted for a base GT this time. All that extra junk for weight from subwoofers, to electrical nonsense, to ACC, to massive heavy wheels and tires. Dont want or need any of rhat. And I really dont ever fluctuate 15 lbs in a day. But Im also proudly skinny.
Most if not all cars are gaining weight. Safety changes are a large part of it. I would rather get into an accident in my 2015 GT vs. my 91 LX 5.0 or my 85.5 SVO or my 96GT or my 98GT and even my 03 Cobra.

Look how heavy the Z06 is? 3500lbs. Tis the trend.
Sponsored