Sponsored

Weight GT Premium vs base

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Don't get me wrong, I like my 2015 GT. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm just saying that the car is big and bloated. It was too big before and they made it bigger. Camaro is getting smaller and 1LE is already faster than the PP GT. So I'm a Ford guy but the decision is getting more difficult. I almost bought a 1LE this last time around.

Yeah ok it's a driver's race. I don't go to the track and I'm a lousy driver. However, within my vehicle with my lousy driving I'm still faster when I'm driving a faster car.

And I have to admit that bragging rights are important to me. It was fun buying the 2011 GT and saying to the Chivy guys at work, "yeah I considered a Camaro, but the Mustang is faster and cheaper." :cheers: Good stuff, but no longer true. Yeah I can say I paid less, but then I'm left with an interior design comparison? :doh:
Lol, I hear you. I was going to get a 1LE time as well. Ford definitely went the wrong way in the weight department. The new motor is definitely stronger but wrapped around more weight. This is my 3rd coyote as I had a 12 brembo 5.0 and 14 auto 5.0. The 1le cost 8k more than what I paid for my 15' GT. Regardless, I am greatly enjoying it and the driving experience is worlds better than my prior GT's.
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
I make up for extra weight by adding horsepower stickers and carbon fiber like trim pieces.
Living at a higher altitude actually reduces my gravity by 1% also, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
IRS adds weight and all the other things added. Big hitters are getting a new catback system, replace the stock wheels for lighter ones.. You can save about 110-130 lbs that way probably

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
I'll be weighing my non-PP, Non-Premium in a few weeks on corner scales.

I personally care because I autocross semi-seriously. I'm hoping to take that up to full-on seriously this year. A hundred pounds definitely makes a difference when the top 5 places at even a regional event are sometimes spaced by less than 5 tenths of a second over two counting runs. At nationals, it can be the top 10 in that same spread or lower.

Because I chose the non-pp car, I'm stuck with an 8 inch wheel width, so every pound I take off, might make it competitive in F-Street (stock class). We'll see. I doubt it will get there with a 265/40 square setup. If not, I'll bump to E-Street Prepared where any weight loss will still be a big deal.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
These weight threads ought to require a current picture of the driver and their current poundage....:cheers:

Sponsored

yjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium PP MT GT
IMO, this generation of mustang is not build to be a single purpose car, since its a global car for broad market. It does above average on everything with very little flaws.

decent power, decent drive train, decent MPG, decent look, decent quality, decent interior, decent suspension, decent everyday usability, and finally, decent price. The weight is not good but not horribly bad either.

However, no car is perfect. There are always cars that can do better than this one in a single dimension, but not many can beat this car on everything without costing twice as much.

I don't see much of a point to see the car in one single dimension, its better to look at the thing as a whole package. With all the features the car provides, the weight is fairly reasonable.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The real only differences between the GT base and GT premium, the original question, are: the radio head unit, the leather and a few pounds in extra wiring/electronics (using the same base 18" wheels)

I can't imagine this is more than 20-25 pounds at the absolute most- mostly the leather vs cloth weight. So then answer is not much for all you get in the premium.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
IMO, this generation of mustang is not build to be a single purpose car, since its a global car for broad market. It does above average on everything with very little flaws.

decent power, decent drive train, decent MPG, decent look, decent quality, decent interior, decent suspension, decent everyday usability, and finally, decent price. The weight is not good but not horribly bad either.

However, no car is perfect. There are always cars that can do better than this one in a single dimension, but not many can beat this car on everything without costing twice as much.

I don't see much of a point to see the car in one single dimension, its better to look at the thing as a whole package. With all the features the car provides, the weight is fairly reasonable.
Yeh I still don't get this "2015 is slow" nonsense. Even if the car gained 87 pounds it gained 15 hosepower over the 2014.

Say the 2014 GT was 3618 pounds at 420hp and the 2015 is 3705 at 435hp, the weight to HP ratios are .1 pound per HP different (2014 is 8.61lbs/hp and 2015 is 8.51lb/hp).

Last edited:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I'm 100% certain I can never, ever go back to driving a car without factory navigation.
I have never had a nav unit until this car, and never really missed it. But this thing is cool. The voice activation works well, even when I am concentrating on heavy traffic. And it finds gas stations! Trust me, when the computer is saying "0 miles to Empty" and you are still on a gridlocked freeway with no station in sight, having the car direct you to gas is worth the price of entry.

Sponsored
OP
OP
drabon74

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
The real only differences between the GT base and GT premium, the original question, are: the radio head unit, the leather and a few pounds in extra wiring/electronics (using the same base 18" wheels)

I can't imagine this is more than 20-25 pounds at the absolute most- mostly the leather vs cloth weight. So then answer is not much for all you get in the premium.
That's what I was thinking as well. A lighter exhaust will net me 20-25 LBS(resonator delete) and some forgestar 20s will hopefully help me stay close on wheel weight. I'm not a weight nazi but I do want to have the car as light and nimble as possible within reason. If the stock non performance brakes let me down on my 2-3 mild track days a year I'll go for those lightweight aftermarket monsters and that will shave off another 50 plus pounds

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
How much does a base GT with recaros weigh?
Sponsored