Sponsored

Weight GT Premium vs base

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
The MT-82 in the GT is slightly different compared to the MT-82 in the EB, no?
The same across engines...
If my weight fluctuated 15 lb per day, it would be a bad day as in loss of limb. 1 or 2 lb is what I observe personally.
Sponsored

Last edited:

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The same across engines...
Actually the gearing between the 11-14 v6 and v8 MT82's are different. Not sure about the 15':

V6 / V8
1st: 4.236 / 3.66
2nd: 2.538 / 2.43
3rd: 1.665 / 1.69
4th: 1.238 / 1.32
5th: 1.00 / 1.00
6th: 0.70 / 0.65

Wolfman625

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT in Deep impact Blue
How come a lot of people care so much about weight? What are you doing with your cars that a couple hundred pounds makes a difference you can feel?
Just run Canadian air in your tires and synthetic blinker fluid.
Seriously though... What's up with this? Is it 1/100 of a second quicker in a 1/4 mile or jump further or handle twisties better?

I definitely care about the weight. Thats why i bought thr base. Not because i couldn't aford prem. I didn't want it. Hell i wrote a check for the full amount of the car. Could of easily added a few more thousand. Every pound counts at the track and the street. Rear seats are coming out soon. And hopefully my new wheels and 285 sticky tires show up soon (still will be DD even when i do SC)

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
This 3810 lb is totally missleading, that magazine article car had pp, recaros and acc, if u have no recaros, no acc, no 50 th aniv package you are right at 3815 lbs. A fully loaded car with acc and 50th aniv package(manual) will be around 3870 lbs so that seems to be accurate. For those who wants 20 inch wheels, beware, they are pretty heavy.
I didn't think the car even came close to 3900lbs fully loaded unless it was the convertable

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Anyone remember this thread? http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=3046

Fully loaded and tipped the scales at 3780
That was with 3/4 tank based off his fuel gauge, and we know ho accurate they are. But like I said earlier, a fully equipped premium with pp in the mags came at 3810, so you fill his tank, my guess he would be at 3810.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a few extra pounds for additional features although I'll probably go for a different exhaust setup etc. Which will make up for the few extra pounds anyway

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a few extra pounds for additional features although I'll probably go for a different exhaust setup etc. Which will make up for the few extra pounds anyway
The 105lbs over a base, I would do the same.:thumbsup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Unless you're taking off rotational mass or unsprung weight, you're going to be very hard pressed to sense the difference of 20lbs. Heck your own body weight can fluctuate as much as 15lbs in a day just based on food and water consumption.

In my own personal past in racing, when dealing with structural or "option" weight (IE seats, stereo etc), you really do not sense a difference until you get closer to 150lbs. That adds up to roughly a tenth in the 1/4.

I'm not saying that weight isn't an issue in performance cars, it is. What I'm saying is that some people have become so sensitive to the issue of weight in this car that they freak the frick-frak out if something adds 10 lbs and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to save 10lbs.
Yes you are right if it were 15-20 lbs, but it's more than 15-20 lbs. Weight will reduce fuel economy and performance, but it sounds like the increase in weight isn't as much as we initially thought. Ford said they were going to reduce the weight of the car. Would have been a great move IMO.

My main annoyance is that Ford did a total redesign of the car. It's supposed to be a performance car. They made it slower. Oops.

That's all.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Yes you are right if it were 15-20 lbs, but it's more than 15-20 lbs. Weight will reduce fuel economy and performance, but it sounds like the increase in weight isn't as much as we initially thought. Ford said they were going to reduce the weight of the car. Would have been a great move IMO.

My main annoyance is that Ford did a total redesign of the car. It's supposed to be a performance car. They made it slower. Oops.

That's all.

Having driven every model GT from 2010-2014 and driven the 2015's a few times..I will say yes it gained some weight, and it may be "slower" but it's a much better car for it.

When you consider they had NEW standards to meet, adding an IRS, increasing structural rigidity dramatically and had to build the platform to handle at minimum FI in the future? I'd say doing all that with only a gain of about 75-80 lbs trim to trim is pretty good.

The 1993 Cobra was 3,250 lbs. The 2004 Cobra was 3,660 lbs. I do not recall seeing people say the 93 was the superior performance vehicle.

Sure they could have made much more extensive use of aluminum, which they did design aluminum door shells and deck lids but chose not to use them. Lightweight=increased cost. Would you be willing to pay an additional $2,000 for a car that is 50lbs less?

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can only imagine the weight savings with an all aluminum body like the f150..but imagine how much it would cost :(

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance

That's all.
Definitely not slower in turns. There isn't enough evidence to definitively say the 15 is slower than the 11-14's in the straights. So far it looks like they are a drivers race. They've been running the same mph in the 1/4 stock vs stock.

Wolfman625

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT in Deep impact Blue

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Definitely not slower in turns. There isn't enough evidence to definitively say the 15 is slower than the 11-14's in the straights. So far it looks like they are a drivers race. They've been running the same mph in the 1/4 stock vs stock.
Don't get me wrong, I like my 2015 GT. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm just saying that the car is big and bloated. It was too big before and they made it bigger. Camaro is getting smaller and 1LE is already faster than the PP GT. So I'm a Ford guy but the decision is getting more difficult. I almost bought a 1LE this last time around.

Yeah ok it's a driver's race. I don't go to the track and I'm a lousy driver. However, within my vehicle with my lousy driving I'm still faster when I'm driving a faster car.

And I have to admit that bragging rights are important to me. It was fun buying the 2011 GT and saying to the Chivy guys at work, "yeah I considered a Camaro, but the Mustang is faster and cheaper." :cheers: Good stuff, but no longer true. Yeah I can say I paid less, but then I'm left with an interior design comparison? :doh:
Sponsored