Warm Up

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Since we don't have an Oil Temp gauge in the Bullitt, which is ridiculous in my opinion, curious as to how others warm up their cars.

1st question is it reasonable to use the axel oil temp (think that the one we do have) as a proxy for engine oil temp, do they warm up at similar rates? If not are there any gauges in our cluster that can be used as a proxy?

2nd question nobody wants to rev a cold engine, equally nobody want to lug or heavy load a cold engine, what rev range do you use whilst the car is warming up?

My daily commute is a short one, about 3miles door to door, so car is going to get daily use on a cold engine most of the time unfortunately (upside is its Texas and things warm a little quicker) I noticed my old 13 SHO would hold gears longer than I liked on a cold engine, and seemed to be programmed to take slightly higher rpm over risk of load.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Well, if you want oil temperature, you can replace the manifold vacuum gauge with an oil temperature gauge from the GT350. I ordered mine a half hour ago.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-instrument-cluster-fr3z10849e?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

896c63144cc519933d08179b3f07803b.jpg

Under 30 minute plug-and-play. You do have to pop a few dash trim pieces off and you will lose MyColor on the center gauges. It does add another 50 psi to the oil pressure range, so you don't peg the gauge when the engine is cold.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Since we don't have an Oil Temp gauge in the Bullitt, which is ridiculous in my opinion, curious as to how others warm up their cars.

1st question is it reasonable to use the axel oil temp (think that the one we do have) as a proxy for engine oil temp, do they warm up at similar rates? If not are there any gauges in our cluster that can be used as a proxy?

2nd question nobody wants to rev a cold engine, equally nobody want to lug or heavy load a cold engine, what rev range do you use whilst the car is warming up?

My daily commute is a short one, about 3miles door to door, so car is going to get daily use on a cold engine most of the time unfortunately (upside is its Texas and things warm a little quicker) I noticed my old 13 SHO would hold gears longer than I liked on a cold engine, and seemed to be programmed to take slightly higher rpm over risk of load.
Axle oil temp is much much slower than engine one from my observations (I typically have gauge screen for normal driving showing oil temp, axle temp and whatever else comes on). I would the engine head temp for that - at 174F, engine oil temp changes to normal.

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Oil temp can be added via "Show Gauges" on standard Bullitt...
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 3.45.59 PM.png

(Note: that's not a picture of the Bullitt dash, but you get the idea -- I do have mine showing and happy to add a pic later.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
sport160

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

(Note: that's not a picture of the Bullitt dash, but you get the idea -- I do have mine showing and happy to add a pic later.)
Really? I can't get Oil Temp as an option on my cluster, I just went out to car and double checked, no option for oil temp in any mode. All I get is Air/Fuel, Axel Oil Temp, Cylinder Head Temp, Oil Pressure, Inlet air temp,Vac and Voltage

OP
OP
sport160

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks guys, I will use the head temp gauge as the indicator that she is at proper operating temp.

If I think about it rationally on my daily commute car is never going to be properly warmed up, at weekends or evenings when I can get longer runs in it sounds like cylinder head temp will give me the info I need.

Plus Im not ready to give up my "my color" gauges yet for the gauge swap :-)

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Are you sure you're looking at oil temperature and not head temperature, which is part of the GT / Bullitt display?

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if you want oil temperature, you can replace the manifold vacuum gauge with an oil temperature gauge from the GT350. I ordered mine a half hour ago.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-instrument-cluster-fr3z10849e?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

Under 30 minute plug-and-play. You do have to pop a few dash trim pieces off and you will lose MyColor on the center gauges. It does add another 50 psi to the oil pressure range, so you don't peg the gauge when the engine is cold.
How does the oil temp gauge get it's signal? Is a sender install involved?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does the oil temp gauge get it's signal? Is a sender install involved?
The data is already on the control bus for the car. You literally just have to:
  1. Pop off the dash trim, starting with the piece to the right of the glove compartment and working to the left.
  2. Disconnect the plug on the back.
  3. Unscrew the existing gauges from the dash trim.
  4. Screw the new gauge to the dash trim.
  5. Swap the dash trim clips from the old gauge to the new one.
  6. Connect the plug to the new gauges.
  7. Put the trim back on in reverse order of how you took it off.

Plug and play with no modifications, cutting, or additional work needed. Half an hour or less if you have a trim removal tool. Some people also swap the trim rings from the gauge faces, as the GT350 apparently uses a slightly different finish.

You can see how it's done here (using a different gauge to get boost on a supercharged car). While the ecoBoost gauge used in the video does support MyColor, the GT350 gauge with oil temperature does not.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Really? I can't get Oil Temp as an option on my cluster, I just went out to car and double checked, no option for oil temp in any mode. All I get is Air/Fuel, Axel Oil Temp, Cylinder Head Temp, Oil Pressure, Inlet air temp,Vac and Voltage
@sport160 You are correct, sir. I am using cylinder head temp...

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It is silly that oil temp isn't part of customizable digital gauges in the Bullitt. Especially since the data is on the control bus (as @Zooks527 said).

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Another vote for cylinder head temp. I usually let it settle for a few minutes (90C), as my understanding is the oil takes a little longer to get to operating temp.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO

+1 on this.. Easy to install and a much needed mod!
Sponsored