Vortech install done, flashing CEL

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I finished the install Friday and have driven the car about 150 miles. It was the complete kit with injectors and BAP but as I mentioned in another thread, there were issues with getting the tune for a 2021 and Livernois gave me a custom 93 tune. I also put in new plugs gapped at 30.

During two rides,with multiple short pulls on one and just one on another, my check engine light flashed for a few seconds then went away.

I threw my code reader on and it said random misfire was detected. I kept it plugged in and recorded a few data points and my cat temps sometimes reached 1500 degrees and the air fuel gauge in the cluster is reading 10.5-11.2 at wide open throttle.

I haven't really gotten on it for more than two or three seconds since and have not seen any more check engine lights. However I'm very nervous that something is wrong with my tune....

What air fuel ratio do most tunes see (11.5 -12ish??) How about cat temps?

Any typical culprits for something like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I finished the install Friday and have driven the car about 150 miles. It was the complete kit with injectors and BAP but as I mentioned in another thread, there were issues with getting the tune for a 2021 and Livernois have me a custom 93 tune. I also put in new plugs gapped at 30.

During two rides,with multiple short pulls on one and just one on another, my check engine light flashed for a few seconds then went away.

I threw my code reader on and it said random misfire was detected. I kept it plugged in and recorded a few data points and my cat temps sometimes reached 1500 degrees and the air fuel gauge in the cluster is reading 10.5-11.2 at side open throttle.

I haven't really gotten on it for more than two or three seconds since and have not seen any more check engine lights. However I'm very nervous that something is wrong with my tune....

What air fuel ratio do most tunes see (11.5 -12ish??) How about cat temps?

Any typical culprits for something like this?
1500° cat temps are fine, but the temp is inferred. It should start cat over temp protection sometime in the mid-1600° range, assuming it’s not disabled or the temp threshold isn’t cranked way up.

10.5-11.2 air-fuel ratio is also fine. That’s about 0.8-0.76 lambda range, which isn’t uncommon at all in a boosted coyote at WOT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Pulled the plugs and regapped at 28. Any input on how these looked (all looked the same).

Went for a ride, first quick pull no issues. Second immediately got the flashing check engine light again.

20220703_232449.jpg

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Pulled the plugs and regapped at 28. Any input on how these looked (all looked the same).

Went for a ride, first quick pull no issues. Second immediately got the flashing check engine light again.

20220703_232449.jpg
Send more focused Pic please

Sponsored

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since you did some major upgrades, did you do a crank relearn procedure? Most obvious question, but some overlook this step when doing any major engine work or trans work with these S550's. If you did it once, do it again and then clear any codes present. Some have mentioned that a crank relearn may need to be done more than 1x.

With a general misfire, unless it's not a distinct cylinder misfire code (P0301-P0308), or any other specific code, it's going to be difficult to diagnose.

However, other M6G members have found that even with a random misfire whether there was no code stored or just a stand alone P0300, the issue was related to a faulty crank sensor. This could be your issue too, so review each thread carefully because each owner came across it in a different manner. You will want to check the harness to the crank sensor, the line in the connector and the sensor itself.

Check this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/misfire-at-high-rpm.174380/#post-3531453

AND this one:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-sensor-tone-ring.156234/page-2#post-3197692

OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the replies. I have not done a crank relearn, will look into this next.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I did the relearn. First drive after , I got the flashing check engine light.

Did the relearn one more time and was able to do six or seven pulls before it flashed again.

I was trying to data log and supposedly was when the last check engine flashed but honestly can't figure out how to view any of the log from the livernois tuner. When I select graph on the file, there's nothing there.
Sponsored