Sponsored

Very low low-end torque/power

GTguy0130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
I took a test drive about a month ago in a '21 301A GT. My last Mustang was a '13 GT. Both M6 trans. I concur with OP in that I found the torque lower on the new car. About 4k is were I started to feel performance. My '13 was bone stock.
Sponsored

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
So, the nannies won’t let you roast the tires in anything but track?

Thats a bummer if you’re really mad and want to leave a quick FU burnout in a parking lot but have to stop and turn off TC. Kinda ruins the moment.
You have to stop to turn off TC?

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
I took a test drive about a month ago in a '21 301A GT. My last Mustang was a '13 GT. Both M6 trans. I concur with OP in that I found the torque lower on the new car. About 4k is were I started to feel performance. My '13 was bone stock.
I would imagine that cause the
You have to stop to turn off TC?
No, never mind what I said, I read what he wrote completely wrong. But I do still think it’s TC that’s holding the OP back. The test drive may have been due to the car still in break-in mode.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
What's your gear ratio? Mine is 3.55 and I have no problem spinning the tires when in Track Mode.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
So, the nannies won’t let you roast the tires in anything but track?

Thats a bummer if you’re really mad and want to leave a quick FU burnout in a parking lot but have to stop and turn off TC. Kinda ruins the moment.
Theres a plug next to your airbox. Pull it to disable traction control and advancetrac all the time for every driving mode.

Sponsored

Grumbleplitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
I have a 2020 Mustang GT manual, no tune (yet) and have no problems burning out in first and chirping in 2nd in any of the drive modes. I would have it checked out at the dealer, but also check out the response in different modes.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
hmmm this does not make sense, i would think the 3rd gen would have more low end torque with the direct inj/port inj combo?

OP,
either way as everyone has said, if its under warranty definitely take it to dealer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just purchased a used 2020 mustang gt from a dealer and previously had a 2014 mustang gt. On the 2014 I could just punch the gas pedal and release the clutch and the car would take off. With the 2020 if I do the same thing the whole car just bogs, slowly starts to take off and then suddenly thrusts forward. I can't every get it to break the rear tires free no matter how much throttle I give it before releasing the clutch. Am I doing something wrong, is there something wrong with the car or is this just how these newer ones are? Kinda annoying but the car still feels faster than the 14 in the higher rpm's.
What gear set is in the rear diff? There’s multiple gear sets available anymore with the S550, depending on trans and option packages.

If you’re into torque and depending on how the car will be used (daily driver, weekend warrior, all track and no daily, etc) change the rear gear set out to 4.10’s or 4.56’s and you get the “seat-o-the-pants” torque. Obviously those gear ratios are more suited to N/A applications instead of forced induction IF the car is to be used for 100% track use.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The gearing is taller in first gear but not that much... there's a ton of torque management/truncation going on at a software level. If I accidentally dump the clutch or screw up a take off the car bogs for a second or two before regaining itself

Side note but the higher compression of the gen 3 makes it a bit more sensitive to knock, especially at low rpms. The stock tune won't hesitate to retard the crap out of the car, especially on a hot and humid day. Even with the FRPP tune, I gotta mix in a little bit of e85 to get rid of some low end hesitation. Even 93 doesn't cut it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I live at altitude and I can still easily blow the rear tires off on my car if I chose to. Sounds like you aren't turning traction control completely off.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Significantly worse gearing in the 18+. Significant. This is the issue. My 16 had much more punch than my M1 has. 3.66:1 vs 3.23:1 One the '18+ PP cars, you would have to have a 4.23:1 rear axle ratio to equal the gearing on the 17 and down.
This has been discussed over and over. Several folks have put bigger gears in to compensate. You will need a tune to get the rev matching, etc to work correctly, though..

OP
OP

808Hiphotog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I have a 3.55 gear rear end as far as I know. I doubt the previous owner changed that. The car had 2800 miles on it when I bought it. He had put the Steeda H pipe on it and Borla Type-S axle backs on it. I do not know if it was tuned at all. I bought it from a dealer so I never got to talk to the previous owner. I took the car out today and tried all the different modes. None of them make a difference. It feels as if the clutch pedal gets to a certain spot and the ignition shuts off momentarily. I guess I will just take it to Ford and see if they can figure it out. It's not that I want to be doing burnouts all the time or anything, but it just bugs me that I can't take off as fast I feel I should be able to. I was hoping someone was going to tell me I had the anti mustang meme setting activated or something like that.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I have a 3.55 gear rear end as far as I know. I doubt the previous owner changed that. The car had 2800 miles on it when I bought it. He had put the Steeda H pipe on it and Borla Type-S axle backs on it. I do not know if it was tuned at all. I bought it from a dealer so I never got to talk to the previous owner. I took the car out today and tried all the different modes. None of them make a difference. It feels as if the clutch pedal gets to a certain spot and the ignition shuts off momentarily. I guess I will just take it to Ford and see if they can figure it out. It's not that I want to be doing burnouts all the time or anything, but it just bugs me that I can't take off as fast I feel I should be able to. I was hoping someone was going to tell me I had the anti mustang meme setting activated or something like that.
if you go into the manual vs auto threads they may take away your man card. 🤣

i would still get it looked at though. I lost my card when I bought an auto.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not MODES that you need to be changing. You need to hold the toggle switch that has a car skidding with the word "off" next to it for 10 seconds to fully disable traction control, otherwise it will always catch your clutch dump and bog the car.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I have a 2020 Mustang GT manual, no tune (yet) and have no problems burning out in first and chirping in 2nd in any of the drive modes. I would have it checked out at the dealer, but also check out the response in different modes.
Same for me...
Sponsored