Qs about the 2K rattle and low end torque

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Owner of 2019 Mustang GT base model. It has been one full year and I must say this is the only car I look forward to drive.
Qs 1:
I know we have many forums on the 2K rattle or fluttering noise experienced by 5.0 owners. I wonder if anyone knows what exactly causes it? Is it the intake runners or the high pressure fuel pump or a combination of things. I feel like mine has a very pronounced 2k rattle which usually disappears when I am in 4th gear.

Qs 2:
After driving it for over a year now the car still feels very sluggish when I shift normally from 1st to 3rd gear, I mean I really have to rev it to 4k to keep up with other cars when starting from standstill. I feel like the 4h gear really makes this car fun and it really wakes up. I have mostly owned cars with automatic transmissions and felt they all had good low end torque, so i am not used to reving the engines as much as the 5.0.

I am wondering if reving this engine to 4k or above will have any long term reliability issues when compared other cars with the automatic transmissions which usually shifts quick around 2-3k. For instance my 350z and 545i (both are NA) I never really have to rev them to keep up with traffic but I do feel when I am at a stop light I get tail gated by hondas and toyotas if I dont rev out my 5.0. I don't have drive modes so I did buy the paddlecommander which does help with throttle response.
I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Answer to Q1 - normal for this engine....don't waste your time trying to understand it as it is not an engine issue....unlike an E46's engine crank hub issue for example.

Answer to Q2 - this Coyote loves to rev. I have no problem keeping up with traffic, so not sure what you mean there.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can't compare a turbo engine with a NA one. Turbos typically make peak TQ at 2K rpm or even less, and remain flat for several thousand rpm. But that's the beauty of NA motors; you need to rev them more to make power. The Coyote makes peak TQ at 4,600 rpm, and peak HP until 7 grand. But you don't really have to rev it to 4K to make good power, unless you want to really take off fast. I haven't revved it much past 4K rpm, and can make pretty quick progress at that level, and not even close to WOT. But yes, once you want a quicker pace, the revs have to go up.... which is not a problem at all for the engine. As it was mentioned, it's a high-revving V8, so she won't protest :D.

Adrian2016GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2000 Lexus GS300
Can't compare a turbo engine with a NA one. Turbos typically make peak TQ at 2K rpm or even less, and remain flat for several thousand rpm. But that's the beauty of NA motors; you need to rev them more to make power. The Coyote makes peak TQ at 4,600 rpm, and peak HP until 7 grand. But you don't really have to rev it to 4K to make good power, unless you want to really take off fast. I haven't revved it much past 4K rpm, and can make pretty quick progress at that level, and not even close to WOT. But yes, once you want a quicker pace, the revs have to go up.... which is not a problem at all for the engine. As it was mentioned, it's a high-revving V8, so she won't protest :D.

i just bought my GT PP and reading this makes me feel so much better about getting into her a lil bit, i was also a lil worried about shifting high, but it makes sense with it being a high revving v8, its so much more fun letting that Coyote breath. I bought the car on an impulse and the more I find out about it the happier i am haha.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
going E85 will eliminate any feelings of sluggishness, there are plenty of stations in Orlando. palm beach dyno is a couple hours from you

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Answer to Q1 - normal for this engine....don't waste your time trying to understand it as it is not an engine issue....unlike an E46's engine crank hub issue for example.

Answer to Q2 - this Coyote loves to rev. I have no problem keeping up with traffic, so not sure what you mean there.
I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. Let me give you an example. Let's see I'm at a red light, I rev the car around 1500 to 2000 RPM from the first gear and by the time I'm a 3rd gear I feel like I drive to shift quickly to keep moving otherwise I feel like the rest of the car is around me are super fast. Maybe the art of revving an engine is unusual to me because I'm so used to driving cars that did not need so much revving. Don't get me wrong, I really like this car.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. Let me give you an example. Let's see I'm at a red light, I rev the car around 1500 to 2000 RPM from the first gear and by the time I'm a 3rd gear I feel like I drive to shift quickly to keep moving otherwise I feel like the rest of the car is around me are super fast. Maybe the art of revving an engine is unusual to me because I'm so used to driving cars that did not need so much revving. Don't get me wrong, I really like this car.
I guess you just need to drive it more. For me, I need to sometimes remind myself to take it slow other wise I will ride up the ass of the car in front of me. Unless it is another sports car or Tesla, few cars should make you seem slow. If you are used to driving an AT, I can understand how you may be used to the off the line feel. Most AT cars are geared to go to 25-30mph quickly, but that power starts to fade soon after that. As dn1984 suggested, get a E85 tune and you will forget about feeling slow off the line. Just don't end up on youtube as "that guy" that fished tailed off the road into a ditch.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s not you, it’s the car. The Coyote isn’t known for strong low RPM torque. The gear ratios in the 18+ manual trans cars exacerbate this trait especially if you don’t have the 3.73 axle.. They need to be revved out. I normally shift around 3k and if I don’t, have the same “not keeping up with traffic” deal (mine is a 16).

Try shifting higher with the same throttle input (3k or higher), or shifting around 2500-2800 with more throttle input and it should help the feeling. Otherwise, on a stock tune they feel a little neutered down low.

Auto cars won’t have this problem, especially in the A10 cars since power is always being put down especially when shifting. You can have more throttle input without a drastic raise in RPM due to the converter being unlocked in lower gears so while you aren’t putting a lot of RPM A; there’s no interruption of power making it to the ground and B; you can have a greater throttle input and remain at lower RPM.

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Not sure if you have an 01A package or not but if you do, try changing the drive mode to sport. It changes the way the throttle responds to pedal input. To me the car feels sluggish when it is in normal mode and I have to lay into it more to get the acceleration I want.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Why are you skipping 2nd gear? With the 3.55 rear end you can't live at low RPM's, it's not that the engine doesn't have low end torque, it's just so neutered by the tall gear ratios. Should use 1st to get rolling, immediately shift to 2nd, then you should have no issue outpacing traffic. Once you get to 35-40mph, then shift to third or 4th depending on circumstances.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Drive the damn thing lol. Normal sane driving you should still shift at 3-3500 in all gears save freeway when you get into 6th for cruising. Respect the go pedal but don't fear it. I recommend going to a very quiet back street or a big empty parking lot and getting better acquainted with your car. No need to do and tire smoking or anything illegal. Just practice taking off from a stop to 35-40mph. My car is 99% stock and have zero issues keeping up with or completely smoking AT commuters or other sports cars in the same performance bracket. You just need to calibrate your feet and right hand/arm to the timing needed for what you're driving. Coming from a long line of other MT cars, there was a learning curve when I got my mustang but after a few thousand miles, she's just like any great woman. Does all the work but makes you feel like you're doing everything lol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
lol... Suprised this hasn't turned into the a part throttle argument yet. Anyways, roots Supercharger. I've driven several manual gt500's and supercharged coyotes. The torque is nasty.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I do feel when I am at a stop light I get tail gated by hondas and toyotas if I dont rev out my 5.0. I don't have drive modes so I did buy the paddlecommander which does help with throttle response.
I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
Man, you bought a high-revving naturally aspirated engine. You gotta rev it out! That's the feature of this engine, and it lets you hear those beautiful sounds.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Drive the damn thing lol. Normal sane driving you should still shift at 3-3500 in all gears save freeway when you get into 6th for cruising. Respect the go pedal but don't fear it. I recommend going to a very quiet back street or a big empty parking lot and getting better acquainted with your car. No need to do and tire smoking or anything illegal. Just practice taking off from a stop to 35-40mph. My car is 99% stock and have zero issues keeping up with or completely smoking AT commuters or other sports cars in the same performance bracket. You just need to calibrate your feet and right hand/arm to the timing needed for what you're driving. Coming from a long line of other MT cars, there was a learning curve when I got my mustang but after a few thousand miles, she's just like any great woman. Does all the work but makes you feel like you're doing everything lol.
Loved your words of wisdom. I think I'm babying th car too much. It is my first new car ever so maybe I'm just trying to be gentle. I do need more time with this car because it is not my daily driver and I drive it one day a week really. Thank you

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Man, you bought a high-revving naturally aspirated engine. You gotta rev it out! That's the feature of this engine, and it lets you hear those beautiful sounds.
Man this engine is very intoxicating. I feel like I don't trust myself when I rev it past 4k. It can get you in trouble quick.
Sponsored